PDA

View Full Version : Sony May Complete RSS Support For PSP

wraggster
December 6th, 2005, 01:06
From Slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/05/199247&tid=207&tid=233&tid=95)

A Sony spokeswoman has actually admitted they will stop crippling the PSP's RSS functionality if enough customers ask for it." From the article: "SCEI will consider adding compatibility for RSS text feeds should users request it, said Nanako Kato, a spokeswoman for SCEI in Tokyo. The support for podcasts allows users to stream audio content to the PSP. The system supports feeds compatible with RSS 2.0 and encoded in the MP3 or AAC (MPEG4) formats. The firmware update also added support for Windows Media Audio files, direct download of copy-protected content through the PSP's Web browser, and Chinese-language character encoding." We just mentioned the rollout of the limited RSS functionality they already support

Insane1
December 6th, 2005, 01:14
Sony's actually thinking of adding a feature if enough people ask for it...I think they're starting to get desperate. Or maybe they're just trying to make themselves seem more like they care about what the customer thinks. (which isn't likely. They're a corporation, a company that depends on stocks for survival, not keeping customers completely happy...)

djarcas
December 6th, 2005, 11:22
Er, how do we ask? Do I need to ring Sony Japan up?

MaxSMoke
December 6th, 2005, 15:48
You want full RSS support? I'll tell you how you get it:

Make a BIG post on how Firmware 2.60 has been cracked. Fake some video, or whatever. Then Sony will release full RSS Support the next day!

I'm certain I'm not the only person annoyed by this Carrot and Stick approach to Sony's upgrades. The second there's a mention of a crack, they release a new "Feature" that suppose to get us all to upgrade. And it's always a lame trickle of stuff they should have included with the PSP to begin with! Web browsing, for instance, which was built into several launch games and must have been included in the SDK, but yet NOT included with the PSP's launch until Firmware 1.5 was broken! After firmware 2.0 got cracked, then they released WMA support and RSS, but not *full* RSS. How many firmware cracks will it take until they release Shoutcast support? Streaming Video? Flash support? What other features are they purposely holding back just to "encourage" people to abandon the Homebrew community?

Psyberjock
December 6th, 2005, 16:13
Well, its not working. I still have my 1.0 and a 1.50. Their firmware has never seen the light of anything higher and never will. I bought 3 games and 3 movies while they weren't forcing upgrades and since then I haven't bought a thing. Just using the MP3 player, jpeg viewer, and homebrew. They'll get more money from me the same day they stop all this non-sense. Till then, I'm content (though not happy) with how things are. (I may buy some older games I haven't tried yet. I liked the looks of minna no golf, if I find a used copy I might buy it.)

jwilds73
December 6th, 2005, 21:21
I to will not be upgrading or purchasing any new games for my psp I simply will not risk spending the money on a game to find out I am required to upgrade my system in order to play it and thus lose all my homebrew applications.

Psyberjock
December 7th, 2005, 01:13
This sounds like a good poll topic.

Also reminds me of a list that there used to be. There was a homebrew safe list that told you which games were safe to buy. That list persuaded me to buy Bleach. Wonder what happened to it.