PDA

View Full Version : Caution with UMD Updates!!! (bricked PSP)

urherenow
December 7th, 2005, 19:51
Ok... so I finally did the ultimate stupid thing and bricked my PSP :(. I wasn't sure where to put this post but the warning must be made because someone else might be dumb enough to try...

Anyway, I've been toying around with an .iso I made of GTA_LC using the firmware launcher, prx/eboot decryptor, UMD Emulator, and a few different combinations of things simply trying to get it to boot on a 1.5. For some stupid reason, I got question marks in my head(What would happen if I run the Firmware launcher [directing flash1 and flash0 to my memory card] then try to run an update? Well, I ran the firmware launcher, then the UMD Emulator, and tried to run the 2.0 upgrade from the emulated disc... It kept going to around 17% then displaying the mesage 'could not read from disk' and that's as far as I got.

My PSP is now as usefull as a BRICK!!!! I hope to god I can get another one that isn't above 2.0 yet so I can downgrade it...

dumbest thing is that I probably never got the firmware launcher to run correctly anyway. I always got the 'your settings are corrupt' screen where you hit the O button and return to the PSP menu.

So much for using the firmware launcher to experiment without bricking a psp :(
Now excuse me while I go cry...

*o*
December 7th, 2005, 20:44
that sucks... sorry to hear about that...

IndianCheese
December 7th, 2005, 21:15
Well, as long as there isn't anything noticable that you have run homebrew (i.e. if you've downgraded or if you've used pspersonalize) I am sure Sony will replace it. But you will get version 2.60. Guaranteed.

urherenow
December 7th, 2005, 22:17
I got my fun out of it at least. I'm just gonna pick up a new one next week and keep this one for spare parts (read: extra LCD)

umnn... and with the flash messed up, there's no way to know that I've used PSPersonalize :/

IndianCheese
December 7th, 2005, 23:13
You never know what programs Sony may have up their shady, hidden, gadgety sleeves.

Dj SaTuRn
December 9th, 2005, 06:41
Is it to late to return it?

You know you dont HAVE to say that you were hacking it and it broke..

o and thanks for the heads up, i was thinking of going ISO but i think im set for now.

henryscy
December 17th, 2005, 14:39
what do you mean by "brick"

bill00000
December 17th, 2005, 18:22
He turned it into a brick. It's broken.

Jdemon
December 18th, 2005, 02:16
urherenow - Are you absolutely 100% sure it's bricked? The only reason I ask is I recently thought I had bricked mine. It crashed pretty hard, MS light on, green light flashing. Then it wouldn't turn on, but it turned out to be that the battery needed to be re-charged.

Bull
December 18th, 2005, 13:56
urherenow - Are you absolutely 100% sure it's bricked? The only reason I ask is I recently thought I had bricked mine. It crashed pretty hard, MS light on, green light flashing. Then it wouldn't turn on, but it turned out to be that the battery needed to be re-charged.

lol :p

Cakebox
December 18th, 2005, 14:57
Wait a minut :O, didn't get it all. I degraded my with MPH downgrader, the one you use to flash your settings with the background.png or whatever it was. to then downgrade it. If I were to upgrade it again to 2.0 will it crash then? :O ( Have a demo disc with 2.0 that I got with the PSP.)

shiftybill
December 19th, 2005, 08:38
no it wont he was trying to run gta on his 1.5 psp i believe

then updated with the iso?

Illegal Machine
December 20th, 2005, 12:20
well, I think what he was trying to do was pretty smart in essense, however....

it was pretty foolish, Im not a developer, but I DO know that when you emulate the firmware whatever launcher you're using isnt being FULLY emulated allll from the MS directory... nice try, thing is that if even 1.5 was FULLY decrypted, and what you were trying was possible, it would be unnecessary because it would BE decrypted, and the h4x0rs would have the secret sony password needed to do the same thing to 2.0, and we would all be playing isos on 2.6

fact is that whatever humma kavula did wasn't 100% emulation..

I never got the system menu to load using 0.8c whenever I had the flash emulation set to on anyway

IndianCheese
December 23rd, 2005, 20:39
I don't think anyone should use UMD updates. A speck of dust may cause a brick. Memory Stick updates are moe secure than UMD ones.

drEDN4wt
December 30th, 2005, 22:00
Where can i download the 2.00 european upgrade eboot?...
..so i can play namco battle museum (needs 2.00)and then switch back to 1.50 without fear of dust.

I tried "wab version changer v2.5" to simulate v2.00 on my 1.50 but couldnt get it working , is it me or the software not working?

cousehouse
January 28th, 2006, 16:26
I have managed to downgrade my PSP but now it will not read UMD discs anyone got a bricked PSP for spares or can tell me the best place to get some bits I.E laser etc

Festizzio
January 30th, 2006, 01:04
I don't think anyone should use UMD updates. A speck of dust may cause a brick. Memory Stick updates are moe secure than UMD ones.
That's not entirely correct. My brother had the King Kong disc in his PSP (upgrades you to 2.5), started the update, and about halfway through he ejected the King Kong disc, and the update still finished! He had a working PSP at 2.5, but for half the update there was no disc in the UMD slot. Weird, huh?

omniosiris
January 30th, 2006, 03:14
probly cus it loads the update into sum kinda ram before it actually updates the the PSP, to prevent stuff like scraches from resulting in a bricked PSP

Libernullmal
February 28th, 2006, 21:04
I was playing snes9x on my psp, and it went to a loading screen the one for exiting the Game and it froze.. i thought I lost my PSP for good because nothing was working.. buttons not even the on off switch.... luckly I popped the battery out and waited about a good 30 min then put it back in. in total electro static butterflies in my stomach because I don't have alot to spend on another one. but it booted just fine... I don't know if it effected my PSP but everything seemed fine even the memory..Next time I think I will use my brick which is PSP emulated :)... just wish I could get the kitty blood off it from when I threw it out the window....

Abstract3000
March 3rd, 2006, 11:05
simple fix, go purchace a new psp try and find one with the box letter "f" or lower that way you make sure that you get a 2.0 or lower particularly a store that dosent practice FIFO - then open the box very carefully so that it dosent look like anyone opened it swapPSPs if they check serial tags you may need to lightly steam them, off and ever so carefully glue them back on. after that pack it up and return it, tell them you just want your money back you got it for your little brothers b-day before realizing your parents got him the same thing so your just going to get him some games. then some sucker will get the thing not working they will return it to have it exchanged the defective unit goes back to sony they scrap it and nothing from there, I have done this with plenty of sony Devices Playstation 2 same method PS2 Slim swap Boards ect. done it before it works fine.

THE_SANE_DUDE
March 12th, 2006, 05:19
good idea Abstract3000

if i have a spare AU$399.95 i might try it out, i ended up buying a 2.01 not knowing what firmware it was, lol

soulz9
May 9th, 2006, 02:46
You can run GTA LCA on a 1.5 PSP. Get the ISO and run it using UMD Emulator and MPH Loader and viola! :D

If you want to buy a new psp, just check on a Value pack on the barcode reader side if it is

No Letter = 1.50 (North-American release) Confirmed
A = 1.50 Confirmed
B = 1.51 Confirmed
C = 1.52 Confirmed
D = 1.52 Unconfirmed (multiple version reports)
E = 1.52 Confirmed
F = 2.00 Confirmed
G = 2.01 Confirmed
H = 2.50 Confirmed

I bought the Model B and it was correct 1.51 and downgraded it to 1.50. The easiest way to find any of the old models, just check a local gamestore where you don't think they would run out of stocks, not in BestBuy, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us, etc.
I hope this helps.

F9zDark
May 9th, 2006, 05:15
You can also ask them to check the firmware. Generally they don't mind doing it so long as you don't have them check more than 2 of them.

When I returned my PSP for dead pixels, I asked the guy to check the firmware before I took it. He was happy to oblige and luckily it was 1.50 outta the box.

soulz9
May 9th, 2006, 11:12
I made Toys R US check all of their PSP Stock. It was funny that they actually check them piece by piece :D. But there was no luck because they have new shipments now and then. Better to stick with a local store.

kevho
May 10th, 2006, 18:41
i feel sooooo sorry 4 u, man

answerIX
July 10th, 2006, 00:13
Hi all, i am not good at english, so i will write my story how i can. I have bricked PSP with update i turn off battery. now then i turn it on, the green light turn on and he is not working. What i have to do to bring he to live ? Do i have to buy motherboard ? or mod chip... please answer :confused:

RealRitzcracker
July 10th, 2006, 00:40
Are you sure its bricked? Because I was messing around with dev hook and I tryied to load up gta lc on my 1.5 and I actually put the dumped files of 2.7 and it did a hard re-boot but then I got the blue screen of death so I pushed o. Did a hard reboot agian got the blue screen of death. I did the same thing for about 10 times. Then I took out the battery waited 10minutes. Got my ac charger stuck it in stuck the battery in. And bam it loaded and now everything works fine.

answerIX
July 10th, 2006, 10:11
Are you sure its bricked? Because I was messing around with dev hook and I tryied to load up gta lc on my 1.5 and I actually put the dumped files of 2.7 and it did a hard re-boot but then I got the blue screen of death so I pushed o. Did a hard reboot agian got the blue screen of death. I did the same thing for about 10 times. Then I took out the battery waited 10minutes. Got my ac charger stuck it in stuck the battery in. And bam it loaded and now everything works fine.

Yes, i am sure i have bricked it. :( So now i dunno know how to fix it. Do I have to buy motherboard 1.5 software or i have to buy a MOD CHIP ( http://www.modchipstore.com/Undiluted-Platinum-PSP-Mod-Chip-Fix-Bricked-PSP-with-full-featur-16328.html ) Plz help ! I need my psp fixed ! :confused:

Gazz021
July 10th, 2006, 11:15
I ve got the 1.51 which i ve had since last summer when i got mine from Japan.I started emulating after christmas and soon learnt NOT to upgrade.I only use my psp for emulating and I have a 360 to play the latest games on.