PDA

View Full Version : Wii "inhospitable platform for third-party publishers"

Shrygue
September 12th, 2008, 18:39
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/wii-inhospitable-platform-for-third-party-publishers-says-analyst)

The Wii is still a difficult format for third-party publishers looking for sales success, according to one analyst.

While three Wii games from Nintendo featured in the top ten best-selling games for August in the US, EA's Madden NFL 09 was the only third-party Wii title to do so, despite the Xbox 360, PS3 and PS2 versions of the same game taking the top three positions.

"The Wii version of Madden 09 sold 79 per cent less units than the PS3 version and 87 per cent less units than the 360 version, despite a larger console installed base and an improved Metacritic rating," noted Doug Creutz of Cowen and Company.

"We continue to believe that the Wii is a relatively inhospitable platform for third-party publishers," he said.

Creutz also noted that no THQ titles made the top ten best-sellers in August for the third month running, Electronic Arts and Activision Blizzard only saw single digit year-on-year growth, and Take-Two sales were down 53 per cent due to 2007' release of BioShock.

Grey Acumen
September 12th, 2008, 22:47
Did EA implement the same level of graphics/ai/online support/well thought out controls? If not, then why would they expect higher sales for a game that is clearly inferior to the versions they released for other systems?

How long has this iteration of Madden been on the market for? If < 5 weeks, then that's not surprising. Wii owners typically have less people who buy the 1st week, but make up for it by selling consistently over a longer time frame.

Did anyone bother MARKETING? Like... put on a couple ads after a football game to let people know they can play it on the Wii? and what the controls are like? and not just mentioning the Wii version as an aside "oh hey, we're releasing this football game for THESE SYSTEMS... oh yeah and the Wii too"

Eviltaco64
September 12th, 2008, 23:07
Nintendo hasnt had very good 3rd Party support since the SNES, although Gamecube had a decent 3rd Party.
I dont think Madden has sold well on a Nintendo system since the Playstation days tbh.

vicious1988
September 12th, 2008, 23:27
"Class, does anyone know why Madden on the Wii isn't selling very well?"
"Ooh, ooh, over here!"
"Yes, Vic."
"Is it because of it being a piss poor PS2 port and the fact that all the companies keep releasing shovelware?"
"Very good."

Eviltaco64
September 12th, 2008, 23:37
Well if they want it to sell better, they need to take it into their own hands and really push the Wii's power like they do on other systems.

Madden is a high profile game, and could be one on Nintendo systems as well. I mean, Wii controls could be good with Madden, tbh.

ICE
September 13th, 2008, 00:31
I mean, Wii controls could be good with Madden, tbh.

The controls arent the issue here. The game plays very well actually. I suppose the graphics are the problem. Its not like they're bad though.. Better than ps2 at least.

agenericperson
September 13th, 2008, 05:04
If the Wii version was their main priority and not the 360/PS3 versions, it would do much better.

rokumanxes
September 13th, 2008, 17:10
"Class, does anyone know why Madden on the Wii isn't selling very well?"
"Ooh, ooh, over here!"
"Yes, Vic."
"Is it because of it being a piss poor PS2 port and the fact that all the companies keep releasing shovelware?"
"Very good."

"That, and perhaps sports games just aren't all that appealing to Wii owners."

vicious1988
September 13th, 2008, 18:11
Well, ya, if you're going to exert all that energy playing a sports game then why not play it for real? I love to play real football. Never was big on Madden.

grossaffe
September 15th, 2008, 22:30
Many Wii owners own a 360 and/or a PS3 to go along with it. if you own both the wii and a 360/PS3, which console are you gonna buy it on?

Its not that third parties can't sell, its that third parties don't put the attention into their Wii games that Nintendo does.

elgoog
September 18th, 2008, 21:57
I wouldn't say it's the Wiis fault, its just that all these 3rd party designers don't work on the motion tracking that much, or in fact, too much. Great hits like Metroid used the controls perfectly, not too much wii-exclusive control types, but still enough to make it entertaining.

Its these pain-in-the-arse designers like EA who release a game on all 3 platforms, but forget to take into account that the wii has different needs, and basically rhey shove all the controls into motion sensing, which, lets face it, is hard. (MARIO KART lol)

grossaffe
September 19th, 2008, 08:22
I wouldn't say it's the Wiis fault, its just that all these 3rd party designers don't work on the motion tracking that much, or in fact, too much. Great hits like Metroid used the controls perfectly, not too much wii-exclusive control types, but still enough to make it entertaining.

Its these pain-in-the-arse designers like EA who release a game on all 3 platforms, but forget to take into account that the wii has different needs, and basically rhey shove all the controls into motion sensing, which, lets face it, is hard. (MARIO KART lol)
And they keep giving the Wii the crappy PS2 version of games.

OMIGHTY1
September 23rd, 2008, 01:27
THQ died a LONG time ago. Now they only make crappy little kid's games. Barnyard anybody? Movie game? KIDZ movie game? Come on.