PDA

View Full Version : Rush Hour DS

wraggster
December 9th, 2005, 21:08
Groquick (http://teamnnc.free.fr/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=259) has created a version of Rush Hour for the DS with PAlib, heres what he said:

Hi all,

I adapted a puzzle game called Rush Hour using PAlib. I wrote the code and my girlfriend drew the graphics.

It runs on hardware and dualis (without sound, fade or save on the emulator though) and I tested it through the 160 levels.

I hope you'll enjoy it.

Screens and downloads via comments

slyr1143
January 31st, 2007, 22:21
ill give it a try

jameshisaus
March 9th, 2007, 01:23
no way to save is a bit rubish! as you have to start from the easy ones every time!!! or am i missing something?

TeenDev
March 9th, 2007, 02:54
please no reserecting of the old threads

bopppp
April 16th, 2007, 19:57
Very nice game, well done!

dsboy16
August 17th, 2007, 22:03
I think it's pretty good and it's a way to pass the time, however if possible i think that you should try making it 3d and iclude a saving feature. You might also want to make it wifi compatable. Otherwise it's perfect.

Buttertoast45
August 18th, 2007, 22:58
This was one of my favorite flash games!!!:)

test1234
November 23rd, 2007, 21:01
We like this game.
It is possible to change the code, so you can start from every level ?

SchecterRocker
December 14th, 2007, 03:48
Man, this would be my favorite ds homebrew game ever, if it only

COULD SAVE!!!!

oh well.

Groquick
December 21st, 2007, 10:30
Hello guys,

I am the programmer of this game and I discovered today it was available on this website hehe.
I was pleasantly surprised and I am happy to see people are somewhat interested in playing rush hour. (I really enjoyed the board game)

As for the save issue... actually the save feature is automatic on the nintendo DS. For example, if you reach level 12 and then close your ds, next time you play the game, you should be able to play from the level 12 again. That is how I could test the 160 levels.

In my original post (copy pasted on this website), I just said the saving feature was not working on emulator (which meant dualis at that time), but on the Nintendo DS itself it works. (I was using a passme and a EFA 3 game boy advance cartridge to run it, if I remember well)

I coded this game 2 years ago, so I do not think I will work again on it. I could give the code away, but I doubt it is of any interest as the PaLib version is very old.

But please keep spreading it and thanks for posting it here!

TomServo
February 22nd, 2008, 04:53
As for the save issue... actually the save feature is automatic on the nintendo DS. For example, if you reach level 12 and then close your ds, next time you play the game, you should be able to play from the level 12 again. That is how I could test the 160 levels.

Hi Groquick!

My son and I love the original Rush Hour board game, and we enjoy your DS port. The game play and graphics are terrific. However, the automatic save feature does not work as you stated.

Perhaps it's our cards (I'm using the R4/M3DS Simply in a DS Lite)? It doesn't seem like it, because the .SAV does get written successfully (timestamp on it is updated with each play)... but it seems like it doesn't actually save the game state. Every time I launch the game, it's back to level 1, with inactive buttons so you can't advance the puzzle number.

We'd sure love to figure out why.

-TS

DanTheManMS
February 22nd, 2008, 05:01
This was out long before DLDI, so I assume he saves to GBA SRAM. This would mean that saving would require a slot-2 device with GBA support.

TomServo
February 22nd, 2008, 16:42
This was out long before DLDI, so I assume he saves to GBA SRAM. This would mean that saving would require a slot-2 device with GBA support.

Good point, Dan.
I was thinking along the same lines. What confuses me is that a .SAV file is successfully created during play. It apparently just doesn't contain the proper information to actually save the game state.

Groquick, if you're serious about releasing the source, I, for one, would sure love to get it converted to use DLDI or something more compatible with slot 1 cards.

dgmo5046
May 16th, 2008, 01:58
This is a great little game. The board game is great, but can be tedious to set up. That is where this game excels.

Like everyone else, the save game function not working on the DS Lite is its only downfall.

It does work on my son's old original DS and am now up to No. 26 over a number of sessions of play. Placing the Cyclo DS in a DS Lite, it still goes back to No. 1, but after changing back to the original DS, you start where you left off last time. There is no visible .sav file on the card. Must have something to do the DS Lite's operating system.

Groquick
June 27th, 2008, 17:37
Hi guys,

First, sorry for not posting this faster. I have not checked any DS dev forum for ages. My bad.

If I understand well, the save does not work on some new cartridges types, which is fortunately not very surprising :(

Anyway, here is the code. I found two folders on my computer, and since i did not know which one was the right one, I just put them both in the attached archive. Maybe one folder is a Visual Studio project while the other is ... something else. I runned a quick compare and the code seems identical in both folders.

Anyway, I guess the easiest change one could do is to disable the level locking feature. I checked very quickly. There is a class named Persistance. This class contains a method called GetMaxReachedLevel. I guess returning 160 (or maybe 159?) there would make the trick.

Good luck to anyone that tries it. The main challenge will be to compile it again!

Ah also, sorry for the "Rush hour movie" disappointment hehe.

phoneynametodownload
July 18th, 2008, 13:23
Hi guys,

First, sorry for not posting this faster. I have not checked any DS dev forum for ages. My bad.

If I understand well, the save does not work on some new cartridges types, which is fortunately not very surprising :(

Anyway, here is the code. I found two folders on my computer, and since i did not know which one was the right one, I just put them both in the attached archive. Maybe one folder is a Visual Studio project while the other is ... something else. I runned a quick compare and the code seems identical in both folders.

Anyway, I guess the easiest change one could do is to disable the level locking feature. I checked very quickly. There is a class named Persistance. This class contains a method called GetMaxReachedLevel. I guess returning 160 (or maybe 159?) there would make the trick.

Good luck to anyone that tries it. The main challenge will be to compile it again!

Ah also, sorry for the "Rush hour movie" disappointment hehe.
what am i meant to do with the files?

TomServo
July 31st, 2008, 07:08
what am i meant to do with the files?

You really expect anyone to help you with a username like "phoneynametodownload"?? :D lol j/k'ing

It sounds like Groquick developed the game in VisualStudio... which I've never used for developing to the DS. But I'm pretty sure you can use devkitARM (http://www.devkitpro.org/) with VS just like you can with Programmer's Notepad. The question is how much conversion there needs to be between whatever toolchain Groquick used (if there even was one when the game was developed) and devkitARM.

If and when you get the VS project to load into something that can compile, then you'd need to either proceed as Groquick suggested as the short fix - editing GetMaxReachedLevel to return 160 so the game sav is essentially bypassed - or shoehorning in DLDI so it can be patched to save to different cards as the proper fix.

I'm not sure how soon I'll get to this... as I've got a lot on my plate right now. But hopefully I'll be able to load it up sometime soon and just see where we are.

bombdog
July 31st, 2008, 22:26
Nice little game.

Some problems with the touchscreen not always recognising the exact point on the car where I'm trying to drag it - it seems slightly 'off'. Using an M3 Simply and a DSLite.

Hope a DLDI fix can be found! Thanks!

Groquick
August 1st, 2008, 06:34
As TomServo said, I used VisualStudio, but it actually just calls "make" behind, so I believe there should be little or no conversion needed.

I forgot to mention I programmed the game with PaLib, but since it is almost 3 years ago, the version used is pretty old (0.73 maybe?). I doubt PaLib is supporting backward compatibility (I might be wrong though), so using the latest PaLib will probably not work.

I do not know about the stylus problem. I hope it is not too annoying during gameplay. I got an old non-lite DS and I sometimes (not often though) get some weird stylus problem even on commercial games. :)

TomServo
October 3rd, 2008, 01:07
Alright folks, things finally slowed down a bit and I was able to sit down and get Groquick's code all linked up.

It took many many hours to work out all the dev environment quirks and toolchain nuiances... but I'm happy to announce that I got it to spit out a "stop-gap" version I'm calling "RushHourDS: Express Commuter Edition" that has all the levels unlocked, thus working around any requirement for game saves (and thus, making it much less frustrating for DS Lite/Slot-1 device users).

From the main menu, you can go directly to any level/challenge you like, regardless of whether you've previously unlocked it.

I'm at work on a true "fixed" version that is capable of saving to slot-1 devices, but I thought I'd get this out so folks could start using it if they wanted to.

If anyone finds any problems, shoot me an email.

The attached archive contains only the .nds version of the build because that's really the only version that was having problems. If you have a slot-2 device, you can play Groquick's original. But if you'd like the ECE version of the .gba build anyway let me know.

P.S. - I've only tested this release in emulators, and on a NDS Lite with an M3DS-Simply slot-1 device because, well, that's all I have. You mileage may vary. But if you have another setup and are experiencing issues, let me know.

P.P.S. - Bombdog, I tested and tested on my DS Lite and couldn't replicate any weirdness with the stylus. I played with a few things to see if maybe it could help your situation, but it could be you just need to recalibrate your DS's touchscreen.

bombdog
October 4th, 2008, 14:17
Hi there, thanks for the updated version!

I've tried the new version out, and had no problems whatsoever with this version. I was whizzing the cars around the screen like nobodies business. Great stuff!

Don't know why I had problems with the older version, but I haven't needed to recalibrate the screen - other stuff was fine. Never mind, problems gone. Thx!

0101Sowhat
October 10th, 2008, 20:54
Thank you very much for the modified version.

The old version never worked on our DSlite

My kids are happy now :thumbup:

Thanks
Merci
Danke

mandrake062
October 12th, 2008, 15:50
Great thanks for the updated version: it's a real pleasure to play this game!! (with the level you can choice, it's better!!!)
Do you know other games like rushhour or sokoban you can play on your DS?

Thanks

engelspj
November 4th, 2008, 22:14
@EvilTaco64,
you are rigth, it's 3 years old, but improvements were done over the very last days ...

@TomServo
Thank you for this code changes, I do like this game very much, and now I can play it on my NDS witout starting all over. :-)

Many thanks again from a 52year old German NDS user.

TomServo
November 5th, 2008, 05:09
Thank you, engelspj.

Groquick and I were conversing last week, wondering why the push to close and lock this thread. There had obviously been new developments with regard to the RushHour game.

But, I'm glad to see the thread is again open (thank you EvilTaco64, et al). Because now I can post my next generation version of RushHour DS. Titled the "Carpool Edition" because not only does it incorporate the solution to the slot-1 saving issues, but now you can save the unique progress for up to 4 games so you and 3 of your family members can each save your own games.

I've tested it fully on my M3DS-Simply card, and Groquick says it works on his R4. If you experience problems on other cards or devices, let me know and I will certainly take a look.

But, for now, here is RushHour DS Carpool Edition.
This zip contains both the ds.gba and the .nds files, since even the users of slot-2 cards might want the multiple game save feature.

bfz
November 7th, 2008, 11:41
Hello,

Just this post to say that I was just looking for RushHour game on NDS and your last version comes just at the right time!

So, Carl, thank you very very much for your amazing work, my son will extremely appreciate and me too!

Warm rgds.

Darksaviour69
November 7th, 2008, 11:50
TomServo please use the submit news (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=117) when you have a new release. It helps us, news is posted faster and is better for the author too. Thanks

danielfm123
December 31st, 2008, 12:21
thanks a lot im really thankfull

Bungle2822
January 7th, 2009, 09:06
Carl, Groquick,

Thanks Kids are so happy and ive got my Iphone back as my son kept knicking it to play ParkingLot on all the time.

Thanks a whole load for this development. Fantastic.

R

danielfm123
January 9th, 2009, 10:37
i just finished the game
can new maps be added
or maybe a count of movements, me do de minimal number of movements
and how do i remove a profileż?
thanks