PDA

View Full Version : PSPSOne WIP News (Playstation Emulator)

wraggster
December 9th, 2005, 21:16
PacManFan posted at PS2Dev (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=2631&start=90) this tidbit of news concerning his Playstation Emulator for the PSP:

At this point, I don't really have anything else to show, however, I want people to know that I haven't given up. I've been working on PSPSOne yesterday and today, and I've made some real progress. I'm on my 3rd attempt at writing a recompiler, and I think the 3rd time is the charm. I've given up on the idea of being able to "filter" out the addressing scheme, and now I'm taken a more traditional approach to writing this recompiler.

I've got the recompiler executing the bios at this point, and I'm tracking down some issues with my branch and COP functions. I think I'll have something to show soon.

Kaiser
December 9th, 2005, 22:09
Its good to know Pacmanfan has not given up on this project. For a second there it seemed like all the PSP coders were leaving to work on different platforms.

Valiant
December 10th, 2005, 00:01
Oh good luck! Give it your best effort ^^. I truely look forward to this

soatari
December 10th, 2005, 00:03
This is truly good news. It has been so long since you last did an update that I thought you might have given up or moved on to something else. I can easily say this is probably the most anticipated emulator out there right now.

pspvik
December 10th, 2005, 00:45
nice job
keep the updates comin

xuphorz
December 10th, 2005, 01:38
hopefully i'll be able to play Brave Fencer Musashi on my psp :)

PSPdemon
December 10th, 2005, 03:39
good job PacManFan..... dreams of playing FF7 on the psp might come true!!!!!!

Lord_Rob
December 10th, 2005, 04:11
psshhhh. TEKKEN 3 ALL THE WAY..hopefully...heh

YourStillWithMe
December 10th, 2005, 14:57
I'm excited about this for a few games--
FFVII and FFVIII
Tekken 3 ^^^
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
And only those games because the file size will be huge and those are my fav PS one gams but it will be nice because im getting a 2GB stick to go along with my 32MB from when i first bought my psp and my two 1GB sticks
incase something goes wrong with a stick i'm ok and can suffice until i replace one! (plus i have 2 psp's. . )

Please keep up the good work man!

vaza
December 10th, 2005, 16:30
imagine playing as cloud or squall, battling sephiroth or seifer on the move!!!
drool...

dkainer
December 10th, 2005, 16:33
Go for it PacManFan, when you succeed, you will be the most popular man on the scene.
I didn't even know a PSOne emu was in progress.
I really, really, really cant wait for this one...
Go, go, go :-)

VFerg
December 11th, 2005, 17:36
You would be a PsP god if you were to create this program with even somewhat playability! I am excited to see whats to come and please dont give up, its probably one of the last few things the psp homebrew scene needs to see!!! Ill be waiting for as long as it takes~

Green Arrow
December 11th, 2005, 22:41
Castlevania - Symphony of the Night on a handheld would do me nicely. probably my most favorite game of all time. Always felt the GBA ones were good but a lil lightweight. Haven't yet played the DS game though (the only person I knew with a DS was my former girlfriend)

Also would love playing -
Ridge Racer Type 4 (though I love the PSP game loads anyway)
R-Type Delta (one of the best updates of an old game ever made)
Soul Blade(some aspects of this I love more than the Soul Calibur games, particularly the music)
Resident Evil (any of them would do)
Einhander (great shooter)
Klonoa (simple but quality platformer)
Grandia (one of the very few RPGs in the last 10 years that I actually enjoyed)
Bloody Roar 2 (most fun I ever had with a 3D fighting game - I'm more of a 2D fighter fan but this was great fun in 2 player with my buddies)

nexus68
December 15th, 2005, 21:33
Good news because psx emulator is already a reality on GP2X.

PSPCRACKER
December 15th, 2005, 22:05
gdgd :)

fighterstory
December 16th, 2005, 02:35
Yup FF serries that what it like to play on my psp
also Tekken also allmost all the RPG............
oh and Mortal Kombat too..... :D

xuphorz
December 16th, 2005, 17:47
Good news because psx emulator is already a reality on GP2X.

true, but it can only play 2d games at barely 60fps.
makes me worry if the psp can run ps1 3d games

soatari
December 20th, 2005, 16:27

I don't think that would bother me. While I would like to play some 3D games, I have to say my favorite PS1 games were mostly in 2D.

shadow77
December 21st, 2005, 23:16

hehe, psp has a huge advantage

MIPS -> MIPS :)

GP2x has an ARM cpu, there is no doubt psp will be able to run psx games way better

Killing2Live
December 22nd, 2005, 09:14
PACMANFAN made a website devoted to PSPSOne right here http://home.comcast.net/~shernandez1337/PSPSOne.html

Ill quote a few main points from the website but I recommend going there and reading it over if your new to PSPSone.

PSPSOne is more than an emulator to me. It's a legacy, It's a playable history of video games perfectly preserved from the 90's.

One question that I often get asked is how things are emulated. Entire books can be written about different emulation methods. The alpha release of PSPSOne is currently running in Interpreted mode, This is where each instruction is interepreted by the emulator, and an internal representation of the emulated hardware is updated.

For game systems that are significantly slower than the system they are being run on, this is fine. However, to emulate a powerfull system such as the Playstation 1, an entirely different approach to emulation is needed. Currently, I'm coding a Dynamic Recomplier. This dynamic recomplier takes the original game and re-compiles the code to the native r4000 instruction set used in the PSP.

This approach works OK, with about a 7-10X speed increase over the just the interpreted code.

I have high hopes for this version of the dynamic recompiler, and I'm about 65% done with it at this point.

I would like to thank PacManFan for work on this and I am not saying this info is new or was found by me or anything I just wanted to get this info out in the open and update the people that are trying to look for answers :)