PDA

View Full Version : What Modern Games Are DRM-Free?

wraggster
September 13th, 2008, 08:49
I used to be an avid PC gamer. However, I have only bought 1 game in the last 18 months because I am sick and tired of the problems caused by the various intrusive, and sometimes damaging DRM schemes game publishers insist on forcing upon their customers. Once burned, twice shy! The EA announcement that upcoming releases will include SecuROM, along with verification requirements and major restrictions on installations left me wondering which recently released or upcoming games (particularly major titles) are being released without DRM? Are there any? How has DRM affected your game purchasing? Will EA be negatively affected by their DRM decision?"
The ongoing DRM controversy was stirred by the recent launch of Spore. We discussed the public outcry from Amazon's reviews (which were subsequently taken down and then re-posted). EA's response to the outcry was to say that only one percent of accounts tried to activate the game more than three times, which is the limit without help from their customer service. Meanwhile, their efforts to find a "balance" between preventing piracy and not hampering legal users may not have been as successful as they hoped. According to Forbes, a P2P research firm found that illegal copies of Spore had been downloaded over 170,000 times already. So, is it time to create a whitelist for game publishers and developers?

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/13/0027220

gutbub
September 13th, 2008, 15:07
I really don't understand everybody's problem with DRM. On all home consoles, you have to insert the game disc every time you want to play, so why should it be any different on PC? It's the developer's choice, so if you don't like it, the only option that will satisfy you is, don't buy it. Once again, I believe this is just a bunch of angry pirates, and I hope somebody looking to prosecute notices them to. I don't like piracy, but if you don't make complaints that lead me to believe you're a pirate, then I would never you are.

carlitx
September 14th, 2008, 18:56
I really don't understand everybody's problem with DRM. On all home consoles, you have to insert the game disc every time you want to play, so why should it be any different on PC? It's the developer's choice, so if you don't like it, the only option that will satisfy you is, don't buy it. Once again, I believe this is just a bunch of angry pirates, and I hope somebody looking to prosecute notices them to. I don't like piracy, but if you don't make complaints that lead me to believe you're a pirate, then I would never you are.

you are so uneducated on the subject of just how bad DRM has gotten, It's way worse than just sticking the CD/ DVD in your drive every time you play. With the reales of Spore, EA has a update every 10 days on your acct. if it's not active for 10 days you have to call tham, you have an installation limit of three times before you beg them for another license install the game (at you phone service expense)... and other publishers are even worse than that. It's basically a Legal type of spy-ware....... The pirates are actually having a better time with the games than the paying customers. once again, a week before Spore was released it was leaked and cracked as a torrent. Nowadays you are not buying a PC game, you are just renting it along with being treated as a pirate (FOR BUYING A GAME!)......