View Full Version : NesterDC SE

MetaFox
December 10th, 2005, 09:31
NesterDC SE (http://www.sch3rz0.com/nesterdcse/), scherzo's continuation of the Nintendo Entertainment System emulator, NesterDC, has been released. This adds a new GUI with screenshots, a NSF player, fixes compatibility issues, improves support for running games of different regions on different display modes at the correct speed, and more.

omer
December 10th, 2005, 10:37
It's very impressive, very very good work !

pang1978
December 10th, 2005, 11:57
yes! thanks sherzo.
great work. i will test it right now

SiZiOUS
December 10th, 2005, 14:03
Relayed to important emulation french websites ! Thanks for your great work Scherzo !

Eric
December 10th, 2005, 14:17
I never got to test. From the Readme file it sounds amazing but im having a few probs. I was downloading the files with the program eventually through 5 games said it couldnt find the game disconnected from your program made the iso. Obviously the ISO was to small cause i only gone through a bit of the list of games I have. But everytime i restart the program now it wont restart itself it just keeps making the ISO.

Please Help

Eric

David Lynch
December 10th, 2005, 15:49
My first impressions: Not as good as it could be.

The new interface looks nice, but it's way too slow! Faster scrolling would be great... Loading time is also much longer than in previous versions.

Music player is very good, the fit to screen option as well.

I miss the VMU-picture support. Being able to set the speed from 1 to 1.5 was very usefull.

Faster quicksave/loading is now theoretically possible. But why am I forced to use auto-fire? I need this button, but I have to set the stupid autofire on it. If i set nothing, the game is not playable.

Other than that, the emu gave me a corrupted settings file after a short time. (never happened on that memory card to me before) So, I had to do my settings again. Hope this wont happen again.

Overall I'm slightly disappointed. Nice ideas, but scherzo wanted too much.
I want the old interface and pad settings back, with the music player, and the new sceen option.
For a quick game, good old version 6.0 will do.

MetaFox
December 10th, 2005, 17:31
I want the old interface and pad settings back, with the music player, and the new sceen option.
For a quick game, good old version 6.0 will do.Scherzo has stated many times before that the interface is completely configurable through his scripting engine.

I haven't looked at it yet personally, but adding in the faster loading menus reminiscent of 6.0 should be doable based on scherzo's previous statements.

scherzo
December 10th, 2005, 18:50
Scherzo has stated many times before that the interface is completely configurable through his scripting engine.

I haven't looked at it yet personally, but adding in the faster loading menus reminiscent of 6.0 should be doable based on scherzo's previous statements.
This is true. The whole structure of the GUI is javascript, or what I like to call Dreamscript. A person with some understand of programming should be able to look at the scripts contained in the CD and figure out the capabilities of Dreamscript and then make changes how they saw fit. It sure wouldn't hurt to have a coders cable or BBA though.

In the near future, I will be porting Dreamscript to PC along with NesterPC SE. Then I'll will be making a dev environment for Dreamscript for PC. Basically you'll be able to make a game in Dreamscript on your PC, then burn a DC CD of the same Dreamscript game and it will run identical to the PC version.

Green Arrow
December 10th, 2005, 19:29
Hi,I'm fairly new to this whole emulation DC scene thing. I'm having a little trouble making a disc of NesterDC. The actual build program seemed to work fine and made me an iso then converted it to a cdi. I used Discjuggler to burn it like I've been doing with a few homebrew things but this time around I encountered a problem. My NesterDC cd, while being easily accessible via Windows Explorer on my PC, does not boot on my DC. I put the disc in and it goes to the DC's system menu (with play, clock, memory card menus). Is it supposed to be self booting or do I need a seperate boot disc of some kind?

David Lynch
December 10th, 2005, 19:59
Well, after giving the emulator some more time, I have to agree with most people who tried it: It's very very good!

law56ker
December 10th, 2005, 23:48

The new interface looks nice, but it's way too slow! Faster scrolling would be great... Loading time is also much longer than in previous versions.

I miss the VMU-picture support. Being able to set the speed from 1 to 1.5 was very usefull.

Faster quicksave/loading is now theoretically possible. But why am I forced to use auto-fire? I need this button, but I have to set the stupid autofire on it. If i set nothing, the game is not playable.

Other than that, the emu gave me a corrupted settings file after a short time. (never happened on that memory card to me before) So, I had to do my settings again. Hope this wont happen again.

Easy solution, don't play it and go back to whatever makes you happy. Not as good as it could be? Who determines how good it shoulda been you?

MetaFox
December 11th, 2005, 00:26
Easy solution, don't play it and go back to whatever makes you happy. Not as good as it could be? Who determines how good it shoulda been you?Don't bash the guy. Be nice.

Besides, he already gave the emulator another try and retracted his statements, just one post and about four hours before yours:

Well, after giving the emulator some more time, I have to agree with most people who tried it: It's very very good!

law56ker
December 11th, 2005, 00:48
Don't bash the guy. Be nice.

Besides, he already gave the emulator another try and retracted his statements, just one post and about four hours before yours:
So he gave his opinion before even giving it a chance. I'm glad he made another post. Half the time the people complaining about stuff are doing something wrong themeselves to cause troubles witht he emu.. I just get sick of people bashing something from someone who owes them nothing. Hardly see any releases in the dc emu scene anymore. The nester xbox scene was basically dead until the announcement of this project.

obelisk
December 11th, 2005, 03:13
this is also technical stuff, and sometimes people have problems burning stuff, and new people have to learn, so, yeah there is the time thing too. It took me a while to start learning emus, and homebrew.

David Lynch
December 11th, 2005, 13:54
So he gave his opinion before even giving it a chance. I'm glad he made another post. Half the time the people complaining about stuff are doing something wrong themeselves to cause troubles witht he emu.. I just get sick of people bashing something from someone who owes them nothing. Hardly see any releases in the dc emu scene anymore. The nester xbox scene was basically dead until the announcement of this project.

Calm down. I've counted the days till the release of this emu. So I expected it to be absolutely perfect(which of course is more or less impossible). So I stated some of the weak points in my first post. The general tone was way too harsh though. Thats why I made the second post some time later.

To get it straight: Nester DC SE is the best Emulator for Dreamcast. Great and very appreciated work!!! Still, few details could be done better ;) But thats just meant as constructive criticism.

AkumuHau
December 11th, 2005, 15:37
though the emulator itself is really good, i don't like the scanning for games thing, it takes damn long to scan them all and downloading the different things, i have almost every nsf there is, but don't wanna zip and rename them, that would take quite alot of time

so i hope later you can just add rom folders like in the regular Nester and have a seperate menu for the nsf player, instead of using that database thing

LBI Surf
December 11th, 2005, 16:22
I just made a Nester DC disc yesterday, great emu.

soldierblade2k5
December 12th, 2005, 00:25
Damn, this is impressive!! In all, NesterDC SE is the best NES emu on any platform I've ever seen. I cant find anything I would want changed...its amazing. The whole build process took forever though, especially with as many roms as I was trying to compile in it. Well worth the wait. You da man Sch3rz0!!

LBI Surf
December 12th, 2005, 01:02
Eventually I'm going to make a Nester DC disc with every US release, but it won't happen for a few more weeks, right now I'm just downloading a few roms per computer visit...

J sims
December 12th, 2005, 05:30
I actually have a 6 disc compilation of all nes roms ever made (a little more than 10,000). This includes bad dumps and revised dumps). However this was with nester 7.1)

Sierra-X
December 12th, 2005, 08:43
Eventually I'm going to make a Nester DC disc with every US release, but it won't happen for a few more weeks, right now I'm just downloading a few roms per computer visit...

A project like this is why Lightscribe exists. The whole thing takes a while, but it's worth it (though there are a few US releases without box art/cart scans, I'll have to see what can be done about that).

Thanks, Scherzo, for possibly the best NES emulator. For any platform. Ever.

Green Arrow
December 12th, 2005, 10:19
I still can't get it working. Burned 3 discs now, and while all show up on my PC in Windows Explorer with directories and files, none will boot up on my DC. Can anyone help?

Sierra-X
December 12th, 2005, 11:05
I still can't get it working. Burned 3 discs now, and while all show up on my PC in Windows Explorer with directories and files, none will boot up on my DC. Can anyone help?

Discjuggler? Nero?

For Discjuggler, I've found that I have to manually set some things (Mode 2, XA, Raw, Overburn), and with Nero, 6+ can't burn DAO images correctly (they won't boot). Either use Discjuggler or Alcohol 120%, and the Discjuggler format.

HTH

Green Arrow
December 12th, 2005, 11:14
I been using Discjuggler and its been fine with things like the Beats of Rage collection and that Amstrad CPC emulator I saw somewhere a while back. Though I did update Discjuggler a few weeks ago so maybe some of the settings got messed. I'll have another go if I can find some blank CDs left.

Green Arrow
December 12th, 2005, 12:40
Duh, now I got one that does boot but theres nothing to play on it. Really should have checked the file size of the CD image on that one before wasting a disc. Gonna try again. Think I'm on my last blank CD now...

Eric
December 12th, 2005, 14:03
Yeah your not the only one having problems. I waited 2 days to get all downloaded for some reason the roms didnt end up in the image but btw my roms were on a CD-Rom. But once everything was downloaded i found the folder where everything was hiding put the roms in the roms folder located in the Library yes uncompressed cause at this time i didnt know they had to be compressed.

I made 2 images one using Selfboot and the other using Dir2boot and both i made a CDI image. The problem now is it boots but once i go to browse library nothing shows up from any of the directories in the library folder. I done this cause i have been running into so many problems using the NesterDC SE CD Builder program and after waiting 2 days i dont know if i want to wait that long again or just do it at somebodies house who has high speed.

Anyways this emu still sounds really amazing to me and i wish to use it but at this moment i'm very confused.

Eric

Christuserloeser
December 12th, 2005, 14:32
Copy the ROMs to a folder on your HDD before starting the Disk Builder.
The ROMs need a ".NES" extension. They can be zipped but then they shouldn't be merged or something like that. Each game should have its own ".ZIP" file.
The Nester SE Disc Builder will automatically rename and (re)ZIP them while building your disc.

If you are on DIAL UP or other slow connections, please UNCHECK at least the MANUALS flag in NesterDC SE's CD Builder. This will dramatically speed up the disc building process.

Mikey242
December 12th, 2005, 14:55
Thanks for this one Scherzo.

Eric
December 12th, 2005, 15:48
Okay well nevermind i finally got it working from the 2 day previous downloading i just copied all the folders in the pre_cd folder and put all the roms in there aswell. From there on it worked.

Now that i got a working copy i'd like to know one thing. Everytime I play RC Pro Am 2 which is 4 player how come player 3's controller can control 1 Players controller and player 4 can control player 2's controller but 1 and 2 only control themselves which i would love if all controls would just play themselves instead of everyone elses so i can have an actual play without mess ups.

Eric

Green Arrow
December 12th, 2005, 16:36
Ah ha! I got it working with my very last blank disc. Only thing that was different was that I let the builder start up Discjuggler rather than me having DJ already open like I was before.

Boots, there are games, pics, music and everything. Just playing Batman right now (which I still got on cart for my NES) and it feels fantastic. Great work on this emulator. All emulators should be like this.

Btw the magnification on the manuals is impressive. Feels like I'm zooming in so much I'd be seeing molecules and all that...

turnerl
December 12th, 2005, 20:58

Are you for real??? your out of pocket how much? disappointed? OH NOOOOOOOO! geez some people, go outside and kick a football !!

This is amazing!!! thankyou scherzo for all your hard work.

turnerl
December 12th, 2005, 21:49
Damn, this is impressive!! In all, NesterDC SE is the best NES emu on any platform I've ever seen. I cant find anything I would want changed...its amazing. The whole build process took forever though, especially with as many roms as I was trying to compile in it. Well worth the wait. You da man Sch3rz0!!

Well Said!

LBI Surf
December 12th, 2005, 23:03
A project like this is why Lightscribe exists. The whole thing takes a while, but it's worth it (though there are a few US releases without box art/cart scans, I'll have to see what can be done about that).

Thanks, Scherzo, for possibly the best NES emulator. For any platform. Ever.

what's lightscribe?

Green Arrow
December 13th, 2005, 00:00
Just finished Battletoads Vs Double Dragon (ok with the help of game genie codes, nice to have those handy in the emulator). Had forgotten just how damn fine that game is. Just feels real advanced for a NES game and moreso than a lot of other scrolling fighters. Now if I could have mixture of that gameplay and River City Ransom, that would be special.
Am currently playing Downtown Special - Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou! (J) [T+Eng1.0_Technos Samurai Team].zip, most commonly known as Technos Samurai, which I recommend to anyone who loves River City Ransom as its pretty much the same game set in feudal japan and with a CPU controlled buddy so you ain't alone if you got no friends. Just thought I'd suggest it cos it's darn fine and I imagine some people will miss it if they only do a straight forward burning of all US NES games

David Lynch
December 13th, 2005, 15:38
Are you for real??? your out of pocket how much? disappointed? OH NOOOOOOOO! geez some people, go outside and kick a football !!

Geez, I cant believe I even bothered answering this...

Darksaviour69
December 13th, 2005, 16:10
Right, stop the flaming!

any more flaming and i start dishing out the BANS!!

DCDayDreamer
December 13th, 2005, 18:35
Right, stop the flaming!

any more flaming and i start dishing out the BANS!!

Dark's given out the warning, I've edited out some content to one post, now everybody calm down.

Green Arrow
December 13th, 2005, 23:20
With the save state thing, is it meant to be able to load games from a certain position at a later date after the DC is turned off and on again or is just to use as a quicksave/load help during a game session? Am just wondering cos I tried loading a Batman save state from yesterday and all I got was some sorta graphic mess before the game reset.

David Lynch
December 14th, 2005, 10:56
Dark's given out the warning, I've edited out some content to one post, now everybody calm down.

How about editing his shit too, then???

Lächerlich, machts gut ihr Idioten...

PS: www.segaweb.com forever!!!

enektyk
December 14th, 2005, 19:06
How exactly does the process of downloading images/manuals/codes during the build process work? How are roms recognized? I tried building a test disc with only 2 or 3 roms, but none were found on the site's database. Does it work from titles? Does it only recognize certain versions of the rom? I guess my real question is, in wanting to build a disc with all US releases, where should I obtain my roms to ensure they are understood?

iapetus
December 14th, 2005, 22:31
How exactly does the process of downloading images/manuals/codes during the build process work? How are roms recognized? I tried building a test disc with only 2 or 3 roms, but none were found on the site's database. Does it work from titles? Does it only recognize certain versions of the rom? I guess my real question is, in wanting to build a disc with all US releases, where should I obtain my roms to ensure they are understood?

It seems to scan using something similar to the GoodTools GoodNES rom scanner/renamer. I noticed some missing roms on the disc I made, and they seemed to be same ones that GoodNES didn't recognize (newer translations, and hacks mostly).

For 'normal' (non-patched) US roms it should work fine. Though I suppose there may be some missing items in the database.

ross_hall
December 15th, 2005, 14:11
Great work Scherzo, this emulator is amazing :) The CD worked first time and it has great compatibility (only the racing games had trouble with the scrolling road - Rad Racer, Mach Rider etc). Just one question for the experts out there: Is it possible to access the in-game menu using a Dreamcast Arcade Stick (my weapon of choice!)?? As its missing the analogue stick I cannot press left analogue and start to access the menu. Plugging a normal DC pad into port 2 still won't allow me to access the in-game menu. Any ideas please??

SlyBeast
December 16th, 2005, 06:03
Finally got a chance to sit down with this one today! It's a wonderful tribute to a well done emulator. I appreciate the thinking behind it as well; even though NesterDC was considered more than adequate, Scherzo felt the need improve the emulator even more. The old box art really takes me back. :) I do, however, have a few problems with this emulator that I hope can be addressed before the next release...

*NesterDCSE apparently doesn't have the ability to display the apostrophe. It's small and some may consider this nitpicky, but as good as the presentation is for this emulator it's hard to figure out why that was left out. It just looks strange when you see names like, "Nobunaga s Ambition."

*Some of the roms are missing box art, and in a lot of cases the box art is easy to find. I can do a simple Google image search for "Mighty Final Fight" and easily locate the box art. Also, some of the boxes point to the wrong game, for example, Sky Kid has the box art of Sky Shark. Is there anyway we can contribute to the database to make it as complete as possible? I don't mind doing my part for this great project!

*I'd like to see an option of having your roms in a list like in the previous versions of NesterDC. Even if you choose not to have the box art/cart scans, you still have the horizontal-scrolling list which doesn't make much sense if you choose to skip out on the aforementioned feature.

*DIRECTORY SUPPORT!! If you have the entire GoodNES 2.01 set of roms like I do, you'd have to burn maybe 10 CDs or so to have all your roms available to play. I can fit my entire collection on just 2 CD-Rs with NesterDC 7.0.

All in all, these are minor, and the lack of them don't ruin the emulator, but if you're planning on releasing another version, perhaps you'd consider them? Again, well done, and thanks so much for this great emulator. :)

Eric
December 17th, 2005, 14:59
Its a great emu i have only had a few problems. The problems i have had is sometimes the emu freezes when your to quick with something thats only in emulator though not during a game. However the game does freeze for some unknown reasons i knew of one time during the game switching back to Bilinear the game froze.

I do aswell have to agree that scrolling through the games is a little sluggish. If i have a game like Mario Bros and its called Mario.nes and the game is actually searched as Super Mario Bros it wont be found in the S section it will be found in the M i wish that could be changed if possible.

Still having problems with the multiplayer with some games like RC Pro Am which would be a great game to play 4 players but 2nd player controls 1 and 4 controls 3 but 1 and 3 dont control anyone else then themselves.

My mother also had a problem when playing Super Mario Bros on 3-1 he frose in one place still moving and couldnt do anything else but run and jump and this wasnt in a wall or anything this was by a hole.

Its a great emu but i do feel alot of bugs in there like the controls being a little bit more tight then the older release and in game FPS scrolling you can see. My mom sucks at video games but i still play them with her.

Thats all for today

Eric

neozeed
December 18th, 2005, 05:01
Very very nice.Thank you for all your hard work.

SlyBeast
December 19th, 2005, 05:57
Scherzo, will you be doing another version of this emulator? I also had a problem when customizing the controls; the buttons act crazy all on their own. It works fine if I use the default settings.

CaptainHook
December 19th, 2005, 15:05
Everything works great for me except the game genie it downloaded the codes and i have it checked when i make the image any help would be much apreciated thanx.

SlyBeast
December 21st, 2005, 07:53
Is anyone else interested in customizing this emulator besides me? It will only burn a disc with the games recorded in the database at Scherzo's site, which completely prevents you from playing some of the hacks & translations available. Some of the more advanced hacks that were unplayable on any previous version of NesterDC would probably work with this emulator due to it's vastly improved compatibility, but we'll never know because it locks you in to only playing games supported in the database. There has got to be a way around it. I've been creating bootable images and then looking at their contents using IsoBuster and it seems to be the same data as in the /datatemp folder created by the CD builder application included with NesterDCSE. I'll be playing around with the data in this folder and posting my findings in this thread. If anyone else is interested in jumping on this bandwagon please do the same. It's my personal quest to force this emulator to play the roms it currently won't.

guymelef
December 23rd, 2005, 08:55
Well scherzo, you rubbed a lot of funk on it. (that's a good thing) I had to take a bath after hearing about your new progy. like Slybeast, if there is something you need an extra set of hands for just put out the call.

guymelef
December 23rd, 2005, 17:47
Your cd builder is really a revolutionary work of art. much like the zsnes rewind key. I hope that this type total rom experience can be incorporated in all types of emulation not just nesterdcse. Even mame's sreenshots and extras can't hold a candle to your extras. except in reliability, ease of use, and availability, by that I mean your single (and probably overworked) ftp. mirrors mirrors mirrors. I can't help out with this but maybe wraggster knows a few people that can.
A few bugs of course, maybe you should try and focus on creating your extras library to remain constant on the end user's HD instead of eraseing after completion (this is what happened to me). that way the stop-resume, ammend, and merge capabilities would take less from the server. Another lamer idea I had was to make torrents with your bulk databases for download so the end user could have the masters archived for use on any pc with any rom load. I would do this if it were available. A person could point the cd builder DB website url prompt to a folder containing your masters on the HD or cd/dvd drive.
As far as additions and ammendments to your extras collections, I would think that you are to busy for that, out sourcing wëuld give the emulation (not just DC) scene a chance to pitch in.
I am so eccstatic that you did this the way you did because I see potential for frontend/extenders to take on a whole new meaning. Just make sure your name is mentioned somewhere. Ohh did I mention that nesterdc is in my opinion the premier dc emu with gnuboy a close second.
I made a post quite some time ago concerning posible features for this and I think you did them all. Except one, the whole monkeys with wings thing happened to me instead of you. I really like this stuff.

SlyBeast
December 24th, 2005, 06:02
The master library is down. Anyone else having this problem?

guymelef
December 26th, 2005, 09:32
hey sly is there anything you can think of that you and I can do to help out? locating mirrors or getting the extras master libraries ready for torrent downloading so we don't necasarily have to use the internet builder?

SlyBeast
December 29th, 2005, 02:11
I wish I had an answer for you, guymelef. It seems Scherzo holds all the keys, and he hasn't posted in this forum, despite all the questions directed towards him. I do hope another version of this is in the works.

BTW, the library seems to be back up.

Neil_LCFC
January 19th, 2006, 22:31
I burned the Nes emulator disk for my DC last night & it works a treat great work & keep it up !

Thanks for all the hard work much appreciated

Neil

Nemo1985X
May 15th, 2006, 22:11
I can't seem to complete my NesterDCSE build
because it can't decompress some data....(from the master library)

Does anyone know of a alternate database to get all the stuff ? Without a fully working DB , you can do nothing...

Dronetek
May 19th, 2006, 18:51
Whatever happened to the cdi you could just burn to disc? I have no idea what i'm doing with this.

guymelef
June 2nd, 2006, 19:05
hey guys one thing that I did is save the files and file structure that was left after I burned a disk. This way I could pass them to my friends and they would only need the online DB to audit their games and match them up with the downloaded library left from my disk. my advice is that you and your friends do the same.

guymelef
June 2nd, 2006, 19:09
also, don't bother with nero image unless you have nero 5. nero 6+ can't record these images with track at once. I've tried some back door methods using daemon tools and poweriso both seperatly and together with negative results. but with nero 5 it worked great as well as just using the .cdi format which if you don't know is a discjugglar image and the shareware version is adequate enough to successfully burn DC stuff with ease.
hey and good luck!

guymelef
June 2nd, 2006, 19:10
anybody having a problem with the savestate stuff? and thanks to scherzo. you are a credit the community and this project

KISSER
July 31st, 2006, 06:47
sorry for this late post, just I wanna ask ( since I can't find a compatibility list ) if somebody knows if this version can run the "Battletoads Double Dragon " game, since I still can't find a emu to run this on the DC.

Christuserloeser
July 31st, 2006, 20:04
I am sure NesterDC v6.0 should work with it.

Anyway, NesterDC SE also should work with that game - Are you sure you got a good dump ?

KISSER
August 1st, 2006, 05:33
yeap. All NES for CD emus run it until the first stage will start, then freeze it :(

KISSER
August 31st, 2006, 00:22
Confirmed ! : Battletoads-Double Dragon , the only rom who never could be workin' on a DC's NES emu, WORKS with this !!!! 100% PERFECT !!!
( BT-DD I think is the best NES game join SMB3 )

Thanks to the creators of this wonderful emulator !!!!