PDA

View Full Version : Freedo - Going Opensource News

argor
September 13th, 2008, 15:33
posted by admin at freedo forums (http://www.freedo.org/forum2/index.php?topic=1431.msg8881#msg8881)
I've finally found some free time to deal with the FreeDO. I'm locking the poll, as it's clear that GPL V3 is the way to go. At this moment i'm trying to find decent host for the SVN. I'm also cleaning up the sources and providing comments where possible (mind you -- some pieces of code are 6 years old Wink ). As for the docs -- i'm going to translate all info i have to english.

P.S. I'm still looking for volunteers to pick-up the 3do-scene.com design... that is essential step before moving to opensource. That site should be centralized portal for 3do emu scene...

Rufus
September 13th, 2008, 23:31
(IE 8 crashed when trying to copy the link) -
Although, as mentioned Aug 22, progress towards open sourcing FreeDO is slow... 'admin' stated that all aspects of FreeDO will be going that route... from May:

"To summarize everything in couple of words -- project is in hold now. Here are the details:
3do-scene.com --- the guy who was responsible for site design and info convertion got a new job and has no time to deal with it anymore. We're stuck here
FreeDO 2.0 -- was in works till a february -- now i don't have a time to work on it. Emulator coding requires great deal of free time, which i will not have now.
FreeDO for GP2X -- same status as above
FreeDO for MacOSX -- it's complete, but for PowerPC platform only -- it runs painfully slow on intel macs with rosetta.
FreeDO for DC -- buggy, and silent... alas -- no sound emulation.
FreeDO in Verilog (FPGA) -- video portion is buggy -- lack of transparency. CPU and DSP are running well. Requires original Toshiba VRAM (for now)
IDE/USB-OTG for FZ-1 and others -- initial software and hardware prooved to be working, however i still need to code advanced GUI for the console itself....
The biggest problem is lack of time and lack of help. Right now i'm also single dad. That means -- i will not have enough time to dedicate to the project to move on."

posted by admin at freedo forums (http://www.freedo.org/forum2/index.php?topic=1431.msg8881#msg8881)
I've finally found some free time to deal with the FreeDO. I'm locking the poll, as it's clear that GPL V3 is the way to go. At this moment i'm trying to find decent host for the SVN. I'm also cleaning up the sources and providing comments where possible (mind you -- some pieces of code are 6 years old Wink ). As for the docs -- i'm going to translate all info i have to english.

P.S. I'm still looking for volunteers to pick-up the 3do-scene.com design... that is essential step before moving to opensource. That site should be centralized portal for 3do emu scene...