PDA

View Full Version : How did you first discover Homebrew?

Eviltaco64
September 13th, 2008, 18:40
Hello, DCEmu.
A few days ago, Wally asked us what homebrew was the one we used first.
Today, I ask you two questions.

#1 - How did you first discover homebrew?

#2 - How did you discover DCEmu?

I know that there have been many of these questions before, so no need to point that out ;).

Cheers,
Eviltaco64

Safari Al
September 13th, 2008, 18:48
1. discovered the daedalus emulator on the PSP (first emulator I had ever seen and I was amazed :P )
2. N64 Retexturing

Eviltaco64
September 13th, 2008, 18:50
#1 - I first discovered homebrew when I was on eBay looking to buy a Dreamcast in the Summer of 2003. Someone was selling discs with Master System (smeg?), NES(nesterdc/frnes?), and Genesis(obsidian?) emulators and roms. I found it fascinating. A few months later I checked back at that to see if I could find something about it. There was Zophar's domain, listing a lot of the emulators for dreamcast.

#2 - I think I eventually ran into DCEmu by 2005/2006 (looking for a Genesis or NES emulator) or burning instructions.

mike_jmg
September 13th, 2008, 21:13
Some way I found out psp was able to play a snes emu

I ran into DCEmu looking for a downgrader I think, needed to become a member to be able to download what I needed, so I did

devdj
September 13th, 2008, 21:27
i discovered homebrew along time ago i think back in 2001 i was looking play gba games with out the use of an actually gba then found gba emulators and all the old classic retro game console emu's. i found dcemu whille looking for general emulation sites dcemu was one of the first emulation sites that i found as well as the old faithful Zophar which has been around for a very long time.

VampDude
September 13th, 2008, 22:23

It discovered me.

Curiosity.

quzar
September 14th, 2008, 00:08
1. When I was about 7 or 8 a friend of the family gave me a game he had written in a computer course for the apple IIc. That was the first time I had ever understood that it was possible for a person to write their own programs.

2. I was here from the start. Posers.

Eviltaco64
September 14th, 2008, 00:16
1. When I was about 7 or 8 a friend of the family gave me a game he had written in a computer course for the apple IIc. That was the first time I had ever understood that it was possible for a person to write their own programs.

2. I was here from the start. Posers.

Ok, then. I guess the question for the original DCEmu members would be, "What was the first homebrew forum (such as dcemulation) that you were a part of and how you did you discover it?"

Virii
October 19th, 2008, 00:20
1. My friend had Project64.
2. I googled PSP homebrew.

Napalm-Death
October 19th, 2008, 06:46
I got my first PSP for my birthday when it first came out. A friend congratulated me and reminded me about the world of homebrew that same day. After a few seconds of searching, I found this wonderful place. Two great things on my birthday! :D

ninja9393
October 19th, 2008, 17:32
1. I knew about emulators then and I thought, Hey, are there any for the psp?
2. DEC 2005 i started homebrew-ing and i joined here

cartwright
October 19th, 2008, 19:58
1.I think I understand what home brewing is, getting emulators to work on other consoles, I'm kinda new to this! I've known about emulators for a while thanks to my bro getting a N64 (project 64) emulator and Megadrive (Gens) emulator for the comp!

2.As above, I'm new but somehow found this site when searching google images for sprites on my games design course! XD

newb_fo_life
October 23rd, 2008, 16:42
I saw my cousin with a psp playing gensis

I looked up a few newsgroups for psp

BlueCrab
October 28th, 2008, 12:56
With me, I discovered emulation back in 1999, when I got my first PC capable of such a thing (saw PD Roms for consoles, but didn't think much of it). Homebrew came when I got my first Dreamcast in 2000, when I found DCEmulation.

As for being here, I've been here since the beginning.

Sonicdude1995
November 12th, 2008, 12:40
know about it from my friend who is a hacker.

ExcruciationX
November 12th, 2008, 17:26
1. I knew about emulators then and I thought, Hey, are there any for the psp?
2. DEC 2005 i started homebrew-ing and i joined here
Same here, except flip out December 05 with February 06, and you got me.