PDA

View Full Version : Pictures for the up and comming BspViewer ver 0.3

PSmonkey
December 10th, 2005, 23:22
Hey guys. Though I would post up some more pictures of the up and comming bspviewer version 0.3. The major difference in this version is lightmaps & Bsp tree/PVS implementation.

The version will be released sometime this year (need to finish a few more things).

Oh FYI, the reason for a new post is because people are missing out on seeing the improvement.

So head over to the forums and check out the pictures (if you are viewing from the website).

** Few Notes **
Picture 1 is Texture & lightmap blended together. Picture 2 is Vertex colors applied to texture surface then lightmap blended on top of it.

Strange color squares in the enviroment are from color reduction to lightmaps. I am still working on a correct color reduction method (since lightmaps use more then 256 uniq colors).

Produkt
December 11th, 2005, 22:53
when uou look at them on your psp It looks just right for the quake feel :D

and I was able to get 60 fps at points so things are loooking up :D

PSmonkey
December 12th, 2005, 05:51
Yeah, FYI, Produkt got a sneek peak at the next build.

PSmonkey
December 12th, 2005, 21:24
Some more screenshots. I wrote a small test on my pc viewer to let me export lightmaps to bitmaps (to reduce to 256 colors) then rebuild them into a single data file (*.qlm). I then wrote suport for this format and have it drop lightmaps to 8bit palettes and the results are pretty. It fixes the issue of odd squares being drawn. :D

MGFox
December 12th, 2005, 22:04
Those shots looks awsome...with a very respectable framerate as well, thats excellent work!

As you once said yourself...This engine will put shame to a lot of commercial PSP games!

Cheers,
Fox

P.S. A bit of good news (sort of)...my Xbox 360 got delivered today, so that has heightened my spirits somewhat :D

PSmonkey
December 13th, 2005, 02:37
MGFox,

Good to hear from you again. Also good to hear you got a 360. That should make you happy.

Mine should be showing up on wendsday/thursday. :D

PSmonkey
December 13th, 2005, 21:04
ok small update,

If I clock the cpu & bus to 333/166. The entire thing runs at a rock solid 60fps (or 59.~~~, i need to fix the accuracy on that thing).

So I have desided to take a break from fixing the graphics. Insted my 2 priortys are.

1) Colission detection
2) Base implementation of Q3 Shaders (will need them for mesh & blended surfaces like water/fire/glass).

My goal is to have working colission detection by this weekend for the next build. Shader code will be more down the line (due to all the complex commands it could have).

Cap'n 1time
December 13th, 2005, 22:05
cant wait to see what is done with this when completed.

scherzo
December 13th, 2005, 22:05
The Warehouse!!!

bobcobb
December 13th, 2005, 23:18
Damn, some solid FPS games could be made out of that.

-LO-LEADER1
December 14th, 2005, 00:36
R U Going To Make A First Person Shooter???
And Will U Have A Version For 2.0??(like Version 1.0 So I Can Use The Eboot Loader)???
It Looks Real Good! Keep Up The Work!

PSmonkey
December 14th, 2005, 01:30
-LO-Leader1,

Actualy yes. Previous builds (0.1 & 0.2) worked on a previous version of the eboot loader for 2.0 psp units. I plan to keep it that way in the future (except for wifi which I release a non wifi lib version for 2.0 users).

-LO-LEADER1
December 14th, 2005, 01:47
Cool, so will i be able to play wifi with my friend even though i have version 2.0?
Will the wifi feature be used for multiplayer or updates or what??

PSmonkey
December 14th, 2005, 02:46
wifi would be for multiplayer.

Wifi on 2.0 units is dependant on how much further the eboot loader works. The only way it suports wifi now is by a very hacked up method.

-LO-LEADER2
December 14th, 2005, 03:52
When do you think you will be able to release a solid fps with multiplayer wifi cababilities? BTW the pictures look extremely good, very nice job.

bugo
December 14th, 2005, 11:05
yeah, I saw the 1st version of what you did, and im really impressed of what you doing, this is really great for the PSP development, and will show every coder wat is really a solid job...

nice werk.

MGFox
December 14th, 2005, 11:10
It'll be a while yet mate, what exists at the moment is a Quake III Map Viewer acting the same as if you'd turned on NoClipping in QIII (i.e. flying around, going through walls)

Once the map rendering is finalised there will be a lot of work to turn it from a viewer into a game engine:

Implement Wall Clipping and Simulate Gravity
Coding Weapons and their Projectiles
Collision Detection for said Projectiles
Coding behaviours for Game Related Map Objects (Triggers, Doors...etc)
Coding Items (Health, Armour and Ammo Pickups)
Coding Health, Ammo and Score Monitoring Systems
And much more...

So, as you can see, there is a lot to be done...

Produkt and Myself are working on content for said game(s), although real life stuff has slowed down production somewhat! For me, things should steadily pick up again after christmas!

Cheers,
Fox

P.S. are -LO-LEADER1 and -LO-LEADER2 the same person?

-LO-LEADER2
December 14th, 2005, 14:50
Oh wow that sounds like its going to take a good bit of time, but from the looks of those images i can wait.

P.S. -LO-LEADER1 AND I are friends and we have these names on about everything.

Mr.Modem
December 14th, 2005, 18:35
Those screenshots look awesome! It looks even better than many commercial games. I'm really looking forward to this. Keep up the good work!

-LO-LEADER1
December 14th, 2005, 22:09
-lo-leader2 Has Got Some Issues With Hormones..... He Brags About Our Names All The Time..

Jk Lol

Produkt
December 15th, 2005, 01:44
sorry for the absence...

Work has got me bogged down.. being the whorable coder I am I was tricked into coding our team's demo game (moded out of quake 3) and well that has got me so confused I really needed a break from work, because doing mapping, concept art and texturing for a, well I shouldnt say living because we bairly afford our office with every one working for 5.25 and only paying them for half a day... its not really a job at all...

Any way I just need a break... maybe this christmas I can cuss out another wal-mart employee and make myself feal a little bit better... then buy a lighter for a small child...

:P just messin. but some time off will do me well and you can expect a compleatly original map to be displayed in the Q3BSP 0.4 release... Built entirely to showcase the engine. and to show off the textures I have been working on.. :P

-LO-LEADER1
December 16th, 2005, 23:23
yes u are a WHOREable coder...

-LO-LEADER1
December 16th, 2005, 23:23
i kid i kid..

Produkt
December 17th, 2005, 16:44
I'm working on a small tech map for the BSP viewer

Making it custom textures and plenty of shader showcases...

PSmonkey
December 17th, 2005, 20:31
yes u are a WHOREable coder...

Please don't spam my forum or I will have to take actions against your dcemu account (i have mod controll on the forums).

RedKing14CA
December 19th, 2005, 04:04
PSmonkey... we only wish we could paypal donate to you...

just looking at those screenshots fills me with urges to send you $5 via paypal....

too bad you can't make this an actual UMD game... and only require the 2.0 update.... just pray that sony doesn't get jealous... your game might cause them to lose sales on their games... if they were smart they would employ you, not sue you...

but i think we all know sony is NOT smart... watch your back... i would for you... but.. i don't know you, only through this text, and these cable/phoneline/ethernet connections...

and produkt.... you have a job modding for quake3?

PSmonkey
December 19th, 2005, 04:49
PSmonkey... we only wish we could paypal donate to you...

just looking at those screenshots fills me with urges to send you $5 via paypal....

too bad you can't make this an actual UMD game... and only require the 2.0 update.... just pray that sony doesn't get jealous... your game might cause them to lose sales on their games... if they were smart they would employ you, not sue you...

but i think we all know sony is NOT smart... watch your back... i would for you... but.. i don't know you, only through this text, and these cable/phoneline/ethernet connections...

if you wish to donate, you still can. :P check the ngPsp topic for donation box link. Could always use some more cash for games. ]:)

Anyways I understand many legal limits i have with this. I am a comercial DS/GBA coder and know what they can come after me for.

The entire project has been built off freeware sdk & documentation. Nothing official (tools, devkit, sdk) has been used in its development.

Produkt
December 19th, 2005, 20:48

Modding Q3, not quite. I work For Insomniac Produkt, as Co-Founder and Art/Mapping Department Lead. We are using a nifty little engine with some heavy potential... Its basicly U3E or UE3 depending on how ya want to say it but with different map and model formats... and a whole lot of other cool features.

Why we are using this on the PSP, well... We liked some of the features and turned off the ones that wern't needed :P

But yes I am a professional Level Designer (mapper)...

As for the legalities... sony cannot shut this down due to it being in the free domain... UMD's would just make this project less fun... And yes, donate to this good man, wile this is research for himself he is benafitting the entire community with his research.

I'm sure great strides will be made with this game, mainly because it will be the most functional moddable 3d engine on the PSP, because current 3d engines are all software rendered.

I'm proud to work with this great fellow :D

MGFox
December 20th, 2005, 11:10
Whoa, it appears you all have relevent jobs to this project! Man, do I now feel a bit out of my league...I'm a Web-Systems Developer with a passion for game modding!

My passion for editing started with an old game called Repton on the Acorn BBC (1984ish), it had a level and sprite editor and I worked with my Dad to create a Thomas the Tank Engine modification.

I started seriously editing when I got Doom for my 486DX, I created many levels mostly to challege my playing ability (many of the levels were almost impossible). I then evolved up to editing Quake and working up through its many sequals, diverting every now and then to edit Half-Life and Doom3!

Anyhoo, theres a bit of my backstory, just thought you should know that I'm a hobbyist...not a Pro!

Cheers,
Fox

MaxSMoke
December 20th, 2005, 16:26
If you need some low-polygon weapons and monster models, please drop me a line. I'd be glad to help. I'm a professional 3D artist. Actually an award winning one due to my work on Unreal4Ever.

Cap'n 1time
December 20th, 2005, 22:50
If you need some low-polygon weapons and monster models, please drop me a line. I'd be glad to help. I'm a professional 3D artist. Actually an award winning one due to my work on Unreal4Ever.

wow, a REAL modeler unlike the ass hats I worked with for HaloUT. If I were you I would snag this guy. :) . And if any of my HaloUT members are out there.. you guys suck... do your own work you hippies.

PSmonkey
December 20th, 2005, 23:21
Thanks for the offer but atm i'm good. Maybe in the future you will get a email from me. :)

Anyways small update for everybody. After a good day of rewriting my md2 loader in c (yes I know, shameful, should be cpp but i am waiting on a full rewrite), I now can finaly load, animate and render md2 models on the psp. There is still some work to be finished regardind child models (like the gun in the players hand) and etc but the larger chunks are done.

I plan to suport md3 & md4 in the future but i've given up on having it done anytime soon (so it might be in january/febuary).

PSmonkey
December 21st, 2005, 00:18
Yo, Took some quick pics. Nothing mazing, its just showing the model spawing at the first spawn point the map.

NeoXCS
December 21st, 2005, 01:44
Hey, it's looking good PSmonkey! Keep up the good work! :)

Cap'n 1time
December 21st, 2005, 01:53
I recognize the model. Its a quake 2 model... but I dont remember it looking so.... bland.

PSmonkey
December 21st, 2005, 04:40
1timeuser,

You are right on the mark. It is a quake 2 model. MD2 = Quake 2 model format. ^.^
Actualy the model is named "invader" which was one of my favorite quake models.

I have not spent a whole lot of time comparing for issues but its posible the lack of lighting on the model is what makes it look so bland. Quake 2/3 would read in information based on your location and light the model accordingly to match the world. I am very unsure I will accomplish this any time soon.

Its also posible I just picked the worse texture of the bunch. The model had many textures (others I more prefer but for testing purposes I quickly grabbed the first one).

--edit--
Also he is still missing his gun!! :P I'll have the children model system all sorted out by tomorrow (so I can spawn a main model IE player then spawn the gun as a child and by updating and rendering the main model it also handles updating the child model in sync).

--edit2--
Here is the authors website for the invader model. There are some pictures on his site to show off what its like when playing quake 2. As well there are pictures of all the different skins for the model.

http://www.alternatedimension.com/invader.html

MaxSMoke
December 21st, 2005, 12:55
As I understand it, you plan on having full Model and Level support for Quake3 based components, right? But what kind of 3rd party code support could this conceivably have? For instance, let's say I talked a programming buddy into doing the weapons and monster code, could we conceivably use your engine to build our own little shooter out of?

I imagine, if done right, this could do for 3D games what Lua already does for 2D ones! Just imagine a whole host of 3D shooters and adventure games, all freely available, for the PSP! The possibilities are mind blowing!

(looks like I might need to learn how to convert my work to Q3 soon!)

Cap'n 1time
December 21st, 2005, 13:53
I imagine, if done right, this could do for 3D games what Lua already does for 2D ones! Just imagine a whole host of 3D shooters and adventure games, all freely available, for the PSP! The possibilities are mind blowing!

I believe that is the final plan... eventually :)

PSmonkey
December 21st, 2005, 14:57
As I understand it, you plan on having full Model and Level support for Quake3 based components, right? But what kind of 3rd party code support could this conceivably have? For instance, let's say I talked a programming buddy into doing the weapons and monster code, could we conceivably use your engine to build our own little shooter out of?

(looks like I might need to learn how to convert my work to Q3 soon!)

Yes & No. I am building up a 3D engine that will suport multiple formats. The primary target is quake 3 but I plan to suport MD2/MD3/MD4 character models and posibly in the future Unreal Maps.

Yes in due time (posibly after a full rewrite to Cpp), the engine will be entirly open source for anybody to use. So if you got a friend to code the game mechanics for you, then you can make a 3d game with this (I'm just trying to accomplish the rendering/collission/management so you don't have to. :))

If this engine in it's life time can pull a lua for the psp scene. I would be more then happy about it. :D

PSmonkey
December 21st, 2005, 18:42
Got child models working (Truthfuly, its not really a child model, I just call it that since it makes sense the main model needs a weapon model, hense the character is the parent model, the gun is the child model. :))

Things are pretty simple. Initmodel( inumofchildren);, loadmodel, loadchild, animate, render.

Here is code to explain (again nothing big or important. just felt like mentioning).

-- edit, small revision to the code --

//* Init Function
myPlayer.pModel = MD2AllocateModel( 1 );

MD2LoadModel( myPlayer.pModel, "ms0:/BspMaps/tris.md2" );
MD2LoadModel( myPlayer.pModel->m_pChildModel, "ms0:/BspMaps/weapon.md2" );

MD2LoadTexture( myPlayer.pModel, "ms0:/BspMaps/skin.tga" );
MD2LoadTexture( myPlayer.pModel->m_pChildModel, "ms0:/BspMaps/weapon.tga" );

//* Render Loop
MD2AnimateModel( myPlayer.pModel, 0.08f );

MD2RenderModel( myPlayer.pModel );

And you get this \/ \/ \/ \/

Produkt
December 21st, 2005, 20:54
Magicly spiffy :D

Maybe this fella can show us his portfolio or give us a demo I'd like to see something :D

bobcobb
December 21st, 2005, 23:14
This looks awesome. When you finish the engine, I will be ready to model up some guys to shoot at. :)

MaxSMoke
December 21st, 2005, 23:29
If you have Unreal Tournament 2004, you can download the latest Unreal4Ever from this website:

http://u4e.beyondunreal.com

All my work on UT2k4 is high-polygon, from 800 to 3000. That's much too high for a project like this though. This kind of project would definitely call for low-polygon stuff. Here's a sample video of my work on the old UT99 mod, our original Unreal project from about 5 years ago. These sort of models would work well within the PSP's system restraints, using 250 too 400 polygons each. They are a bit dated though, I was pretty new to video game modeling when I did them. I'd make all new models for this project.

http://www.dangerous-minds.net/Pics/album45/aaz.mpeg

In both cases, all models, artwork, and animations were done by me. The code was done by several other programmers, at least one of which I would hope to enlist into this endeavor.

And here's a shot of my very recent work in Low-Polygon models for the online game "There.com". All of these models were under 200 polygons, very well suited for this project. I've made over 500 such models for There over the 2 years I've been a member, and I have developed quite a following in that game. It's thanks to these models I was able to afford my two PSP's.

http://u4e.beyondunreal.com/pub/NewStuff-120705-Screenys01.JPG
(Ignore the guy in the Blue jacket, that's my avatar in the game!)

MaxSMoke
December 21st, 2005, 23:56
Just a thought, but what if the developers like myself could make individual "Monster" and "Weapon" packages that the game can load up via a Menu, completely separate from the map itself?

This package could be a sub-directory containing the models, textures, and some simple Text script file that defines how the monster and/or weapon acts. After dropping the sub-directory with files into the game directory, the game would automatically list all of the weapon, map, and monster packages available. So you just pick the map, the weapons you want to spawn on the map, and the monsters/bots you want to fight against. (The only difference between a Bot and a Monster is that the Bots can also pickup weapons, where as monsters would automatically spawn with a weapon they never drop)

It would be like Super Smash Bro's for Deathmatch!

By allowing the players to mix and match Monsters and Weapons, players can setup the difficulty of their games. Also 3rd party item makers, like myself, can add new elements that people can download and install at any time. To save on memory card space, we could also delete the weapons, monsters, and maps we don't want without effecting the game itself, since those elements are separate from the maps that use them.

Of course, I guess map makers would need a little more. They would not only need to have the Map itself and all of the textures, but they would also need to have their own coded items, like exploding barrels, moving doors, traps, and ect. Maybe maps could have their own speical sub-directories where the Map's components are held?

But for the most part, the map maker would just define the Generic Spawn location of the players, the weapons, and monsters. (Powerups would be just like weapons, only they automatically effect the player instead of needing to be selected)

By keeping the maps, weapons, and monsters all separate, the possibilities for Deathmatch's are unlimited!

Anyways, it's just a suggestion. As you can tell, I'm VERY excited over the possibilities this opens up! And if done right, you wouldn't have to worry about supporting 3rd party developers at all. We could just make stuff for your game without having to bother you at all, allowing you to focus on making the engine better without distractions. And the end players can setup their "Dream" Deathmatch!

Produkt
December 22nd, 2005, 01:41
This would be best handled the way valve does with their games...

Do these alterations as mods which since we dont have dll's I suppose bin files could substitute?

Each mod has its own folder and similar folders to the root game. the mods have access to all of the root game's resources any item not found in the mod folder, will be searched for in the root game folder.

Mappers and Modelers will want to cut EVERY corner the possibly can. to conserve every form of ram...

if polygons can be made up with textures AWSOME! do it.. if yo dont see a polygon in any animation or steady pose ITS NOT WORTH HAVING! If a brush is detail but isnt realy obvious detail REMOVE IT :D and dont forget he nodraw/cauk function is your friend :D

All of the resources needed to play a level should not take up more than 2/3rds of the ram amount... if they do go back and optomized less than 16mb is what you should aim for to keep speeds at their best :D

And remember if nothing elce at all... Have fun with it :D

PSmonkey
December 22nd, 2005, 17:13
If you have Unreal Tournament 2004, you can download the latest Unreal4Ever from this website:

http://u4e.beyondunreal.com

All my work on UT2k4 is high-polygon, from 800 to 3000. That's much too high for a project like this though. This kind of project would definitely call for low-polygon stuff. Here's a sample video of my work on the old UT99 mod, our original Unreal project from about 5 years ago. These sort of models would work well within the PSP's system restraints, using 250 too 400 polygons each. They are a bit dated though, I was pretty new to video game modeling when I did them. I'd make all new models for this project.

http://www.dangerous-minds.net/Pics/album45/aaz.mpeg

In both cases, all models, artwork, and animations were done by me. The code was done by several other programmers, at least one of which I would hope to enlist into this endeavor.

And here's a shot of my very recent work in Low-Polygon models for the online game "There.com". All of these models were under 200 polygons, very well suited for this project. I've made over 500 such models for There over the 2 years I've been a member, and I have developed quite a following in that game. It's thanks to these models I was able to afford my two PSP's.

http://u4e.beyondunreal.com/pub/NewStuff-120705-Screenys01.JPG
(Ignore the guy in the Blue jacket, that's my avatar in the game!)

Very very nice stuff. I do actualy have ut2k4 but dont have the 5GB atm to reinstall it. :P

As for the engine I am not sure where characters will go.

I have a question for you. Which would you prefer.

A) Decent polygon characters with only single texture & no shaders.
B) Low poly (around 300) with shaders (multi texturing, effects, etc, pretty much q3 models).

PSmonkey
December 22nd, 2005, 17:26
Just a thought, but what if the developers like myself could make individual "Monster" and "Weapon" packages that the game can load up via a Menu, completely separate from the map itself?

This package could be a sub-directory containing the models, textures, and some simple Text script file that defines how the monster and/or weapon acts. After dropping the sub-directory with files into the game directory, the game would automatically list all of the weapon, map, and monster packages available. So you just pick the map, the weapons you want to spawn on the map, and the monsters/bots you want to fight against. (The only difference between a Bot and a Monster is that the Bots can also pickup weapons, where as monsters would automatically spawn with a weapon they never drop)

It would be like Super Smash Bro's for Deathmatch!

By allowing the players to mix and match Monsters and Weapons, players can setup the difficulty of their games. Also 3rd party item makers, like myself, can add new elements that people can download and install at any time. To save on memory card space, we could also delete the weapons, monsters, and maps we don't want without effecting the game itself, since those elements are separate from the maps that use them.

Of course, I guess map makers would need a little more. They would not only need to have the Map itself and all of the textures, but they would also need to have their own coded items, like exploding barrels, moving doors, traps, and ect. Maybe maps could have their own speical sub-directories where the Map's components are held?

But for the most part, the map maker would just define the Generic Spawn location of the players, the weapons, and monsters. (Powerups would be just like weapons, only they automatically effect the player instead of needing to be selected)

By keeping the maps, weapons, and monsters all separate, the possibilities for Deathmatch's are unlimited!

Anyways, it's just a suggestion. As you can tell, I'm VERY excited over the possibilities this opens up! And if done right, you wouldn't have to worry about supporting 3rd party developers at all. We could just make stuff for your game without having to bother you at all, allowing you to focus on making the engine better without distractions. And the end players can setup their "Dream" Deathmatch!

I can understand your excitement but you're gettting way to far ahead of me. :P

Bots are definantly way off in the distance. As for object & monster/bot spawn points. This is all handled in the q3 bsp file format. I already can parse out objects, locations & etc but I dont suport them yet (atm just only pull out map names & first spawn location). Eventualy this all will be suported.

Regarding things like exploding barrles. They are all still handled the same way things like health and etc are loaded. Their location and type are specified by the map. Exploding stuff like barrles wont be in for a while.

Over all mods are heavly based on how quake 3 handles things. Mods will be more then posible, swapable models, later builds will have a proper map loader (so you can select what maps you want, spawn items in the map like characters and etc, load up a script list (ie, something that setups everything automaticaly like which map, what characters to spawn, how things will run, etc). Just this is not comming imediately. It will be a while.

PSmonkey
December 22nd, 2005, 17:34
This would be best handled the way valve does with their games...

Do these alterations as mods which since we dont have dll's I suppose bin files could substitute?

Each mod has its own folder and similar folders to the root game. the mods have access to all of the root game's resources any item not found in the mod folder, will be searched for in the root game folder.

Mappers and Modelers will want to cut EVERY corner the possibly can. to conserve every form of ram...

if polygons can be made up with textures AWSOME! do it.. if yo dont see a polygon in any animation or steady pose ITS NOT WORTH HAVING! If a brush is detail but isnt realy obvious detail REMOVE IT :D and dont forget he nodraw/cauk function is your friend :D

All of the resources needed to play a level should not take up more than 2/3rds of the ram amount... if they do go back and optomized less than 16mb is what you should aim for to keep speeds at their best :D

And remember if nothing elce at all... Have fun with it :D

There are 2 major things to keep in consideration for this engine.

1) Textures need to be TGA atm (24 bit).
2) Textures must use less then 256 uniq colors (this helps on vram space)
3) Map size is not an issue but try to not have huge open areas with heavly amounts of polygons. If you do, target using vertex colors and not lightmaps so a solid framerate can be achived (lightmaps are costly since every surface is rendered twice).

:)

PSmonkey
December 22nd, 2005, 17:41
Hey also small update for all.
I was told in the past that Return to Castle Wolfenstine maps dont work. I gave it a go today (had to modify an error check) and they do work now. Yet there are a few issues

1) They are too freaking large. Ranging from 8MB to 16MB, so it's best nobody maps out like that.
2) Heavy use of bezier surfaces for the ground (great concept but atm, beziers not working correctly).
3) Heavy use of geometry is maybe a bit too much for the psp to handle.

MaxSMoke
December 22nd, 2005, 23:20
Very very nice stuff. I do actualy have ut2k4 but dont have the 5GB atm to reinstall it. :P

As for the engine I am not sure where characters will go.

I have a question for you. Which would you prefer.

A) Decent polygon characters with only single texture & no shaders.
B) Low poly (around 300) with shaders (multi texturing, effects, etc, pretty much q3 models).

How many more Polygons would I get to use without Shaders? 400? 600? 900? It get's harder to make real-world models when less polygons are involved, but for Alien Monsters and Sci-FI stuff, low-polygon limits are easy to deal with.

So, for a Tactical or WW2 shooter, more polygons would help ALOT. But for Unreal or Quake, Low Polygons isn't much of a problem if it allows for cool special effects, glowing characters, shiny chrome, and ect.

Hehe, of course the best of both worlds would be the option to turn off Shaders in improve framerate. Then the models could have the Shader data there, but only use it if the Mod maker feel's it helps the end project.

MaxSMoke
December 22nd, 2005, 23:40
I was talking to one of the programmers from U4E, and it seems he might be interested in doing some PSP work, either with this or LUA. Is there some way I can contact you more directly? You can ICQ me at 9161052. My computer is always online, even if I'm not there to see the messages.

PSmonkey
December 23rd, 2005, 00:35
I was talking to one of the programmers from U4E, and it seems he might be interested in doing some PSP work, either with this or LUA. Is there some way I can contact you more directly? You can ICQ me at 9161052. My computer is always online, even if I'm not there to see the messages.

Yes but I dont use icq. I'll pm you my contact info for msn.

EtahEvol
January 10th, 2006, 22:20
it looks like its coming out really good. i cant wait to play it.

xypex982
March 21st, 2006, 05:46
I hope this is still being devoleped, I am waiting to try it though for it won't install on my 2.0 psp. I followed you instructions in the readme, but it soden't seem to work. I am using eboot btw.

frangin2003
March 21st, 2006, 10:43
Excellent work... :)

If I understand well, you're developping either 3D and physic engine, that means a completely free 3D engine for PSP. And Iris is a complete game (and also a demo) of this engine.

Well, at the end, it will looks like C/C++ libraries and you have to code you're game in C/C++ or more like compiled engine and we'll deal with some custom script files. :confused:

I hope it's understandable :o

Anyway, great job, nice to see dayly updates. Happy you're not sick anyway.

PSmonkey
March 21st, 2006, 14:05
BspViewer is comming still with iris on the same day since they are 1:1 now. Src will eventualy come once I rewrite all in c++ (been kind of busy and lazy to do so atm).

frangin2003
March 21st, 2006, 14:33
Something I have just seen:
this topic is from December 11th, 2005!!!!! :eek:

I have sure missed it browsing topics on "PSMonkey's Pen". :p

Incredible, now I'm waiting with hands shaking the next release. :)

behahwhoalalala
March 23rd, 2006, 17:39
Is this the newest version...

stealth-patriot
March 31st, 2006, 02:01
SWEET!
Cant wait for this...(even though its probably already out by the time ive posted this.)PSMONKEY, You my friend are going to be bigger and i mean bigger than any other Homebrew coder out there!

Zeemon
March 31st, 2006, 02:12
Sorry...I'm a little confused.....This is part of Iris?

Gray Fox
April 19th, 2006, 14:46
what is Bspwiewer? Sorry for asking silly question but didnt understand what this is at all

DPyro
April 19th, 2006, 19:33
BSPviewer and iris are pretty much the same thing, only iris you can move your player and such. Iris was created using BSPviewer, basicly.

PSmonkey
October 13th, 2006, 15:23
*aw struck*
Ah, I miss BspViewer.

thor714
November 6th, 2006, 09:56
need emulators and games for psp.:(

NoQuarter
November 6th, 2006, 10:31
We miss you PSmonkey.