PDA

View Full Version : HackMii News - Wii Hacking Update

wraggster
September 14th, 2008, 21:27
Bushing over at HackMii has posted this new article:

With the kind help of naamah31 (author of WUM), James and bigwolf, I have finally gotten my hands on a filesystem dump of a Korean Wii for analysis. It’s a little anticlimactic, but we finally have some of the answers.
What surprised me most was not only that BC & MIOS were present on this unit — but they’re the old, pre-tweezer-hack versions. There goes that theory. (This means that the GameCube support is probably disabled inside the System Menu, but I haven’t dug into that yet.)

On to the subject of the common key! The Korean Wiis ship with IOS versions 4, 9, 21, 37, 40, 41, 43, and 45. The last four are unique to the Korean Wii, and are not available on the Nintendo Update Server, as far as I can tell. (I also have seen no sign of a new update server, so unless I’ve missed something, we will eventually see these appear on the same NUS server.)

As xt5 astutely noted, there is a field in the ticket structure — byte 0×1f1 — that is set to 1 in Korean tickets, and 0 for “normal” tickets. Pulling up IOS40 in IDA Pro, I tried the first thing I could think of — Alt-T, text search for “0×1f1″, and landed on this:

http://hackmii.com/2008/09/korean-wii/