PDA

View Full Version : Revolution - it's not about power

wraggster
December 12th, 2005, 18:03
Nintendo is officially refusing to get into 'mine's bigger' power arguments over its next-gen Revolution console.

While the battle rages between Sony and Microsoft fans over whether Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 has more juice, Nintendo believes such spec-slinging is missing the point.

While backtracking just far enough to say Revolution games will look brilliant - whether played on a high-definition TV or not - the company argues that looks are only skin deep. There should be more to next-gen gaming, they say, than just shiny graphics.

The drive for hi-def visuals simply pushes the price of software up, contends Nintendo, as developing simultaneously for those with and without the required TVs takes so much extra time.

Cap'n 1time
December 12th, 2005, 20:50
Nintendo is officially refusing to get into 'mine's bigger' power arguments over its next-gen Revolution console.

While the battle rages between Sony and Microsoft fans over whether Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 has more juice, Nintendo believes such spec-slinging is missing the point.

While backtracking just far enough to say Revolution games will look brilliant - whether played on a high-definition TV or not - the company argues that looks are only skin deep. There should be more to next-gen gaming, they say, than just shiny graphics.

The drive for hi-def visuals simply pushes the price of software up, contends Nintendo, as developing simultaneously for those with and without the required TVs takes so much extra time.

good reasoning.. thought they should not have released that information publicly. too many people are too dumb to understand this.

SamEdney
December 16th, 2005, 14:54
Something which many PAL TV owners dont appreciate is
that HDTV is far more important to the US than it is to Europe.

A PAL TV picture is much clearer than the US standard, with around 1/3
more pixels than NTSC.

As a rule, Americans tend to have big (40"+) TV's in the living room
but sit quite far back from it. In the UK - people have smaller TV's
(typically 28") and sit closer (smaller living rooms!). Also, there are
many more widescreen TV owners in the UK. Most US TV's are still 4:3.

If you sit close to an NTSC picture, particularly a big screen, you
get bad pixelation and banding over the whole screen. Something PAL TV
owners just dont get.

The move to HD is a big step forward for Americans and I predict that
its take-up will be much bigger in the US than in Europe, simply
because they are used to a picture of such bad quality and will see a massive
increase in clarity.

Not having HD output will not be a huge problem for the rest of the
world, but the US will probably demand it in the long run. NTSC just wont
cut it.

Regardless - I am eagerly awaiting the Revolution and will get one on
release. The concept of this is really something to look forward to. If