PDA

View Full Version : Poor GPS signal

vitorgatti
September 16th, 2008, 14:19
Hi,

I live in Brazil and I bought a GPS for PSP, Sony's genuine (290).
I downloaded and tested with MapThis! and Go!Explore... but the signal is very, very poor.

I don't know if this is normal, but MapThis!, for example, manages to connect with 5, even 6 satellites, but it can't get my position (Latitude and Longitude). With Go!Explore, the same problem happens.

Sometimes the GPS works, but with a very poor signal. Well, better than nothing, but I have to wait more than 15 minutes just to get a weak signal (when it works)...!

I'm using a PSP Slim with CFW 4.01 M33-2.
Is there any way to get a better signal?

Thanks

MemorX
September 25th, 2008, 01:32
I have been trying Mapthis! for some time, but not really tested the PSP-290 before I got Go!Explore. I have noticed that if I use a PSP-290 connected directly to the PSP, it takes a long time to get a fix, even if there are more than enough sattelites with a fair amount of signal strenght.

I also have another PSP-290 (bought seperatly) with an extention cable from PCmobile, and it really helps. A test earlyer today showed that with the PSP-290 directly connected to the psp it took a few minutes to get a fix (the manual for Go!Explore says it can take from 5 - 15 min).

With the extention cable, and the PSP-290 about 20 - 30 cm away from the psp, it took under 30 seconds.The wiki book says the psp interferes slightly with the gps, but I think it is more than that. At least for the old fat version.

I have heard of people setting the processor freq lower get less interference and a better signal, but I havent tried that.

vitorgatti
September 29th, 2008, 14:08
Thanks for this information...! Going to do some more tests here...

:D