PDA

View Full Version : Anyone disappointed with the DS?

tringo
December 8th, 2004, 04:45
Hi - had a DS now for almost 2 weeks and bought mario 64.

Is anyone slightly disappointed with the DS? I have owned all the models of the gameboy and there was never any question of me going for the PSP.

I know its still early days but the first wave of games are pretty awful. I had mario 64 on the N64 - didnt much like it but thought would give it another go on the DS . . .hmmm still dont like it.

The touchscreen works very well with metroid and cant wait for the full version and goldeneye - but for mario i find it quite akward. I own an iPAQ PDA so am used to the touch screen concept was kinda sceptical with it on the DS. I think it can work but developers need to make sure that they dont just use the touchscreen because its there and add a little gimmick to a game - it needs to add some value to the whole experience.

The games out at the moment in my opinion are quite poor and even the next wave of games (ridge racer etc) have been getting relatively poor reviews. I think i am going to remain disappointed with the system for a few more months yet until goldeneye and zelda make an appearance.

Dont get me wrong i think the DS has the potential to do very well and although i have criticised it i think its more a software problem at the moment.

Anyway would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts and opinions on the DS now that they have one in their hands so to speak.

Rgds

tringo
December 8th, 2004, 04:59
And another thing . . .:-)

Anyone find that the DS is flipping heavy!? Noticed this when playing the mini games in mario 64 . . .hmm maybe this will go away after a few weeks when my forearms get used to the weight :P

Anyway hope people dont think i am bashing the DS - i still think is gonna do a grand job just gonna take time . . . Like i said i have had it for 2 weeks and only played on it for an hour or so . . . .

I am midway thru Zelda Minish Cap and have gone back to GBA SP . . . . .

Kron
December 8th, 2004, 06:13
You've only bought a single game, And that is a game that you didn't like before so what did you expect?

Try not to limit your purchases by the reviews, You'll miss out on countless great experiences just because some idiot doesn't respect the franchise or see the game as a "bit hitter".

Media reviews are coming more and more irrelevent due to the erroneous expectations that are put on software, Just try to enjoy something without the pretension thats placed upon them.

Try Feel the Magic if you can, and Zoo Keeper is well worth a look at the end of December.

Zaneblade
December 8th, 2004, 07:07
thats why im waiting untill around march cos then there will be alot better games out then!!!

warney
December 8th, 2004, 08:15
You complete ****TARD had it for 2 weeks and only played on it for one hour. Some of us normal people aren't as lucky as you are!!!!

Stupid Bastard

tringo
December 8th, 2004, 08:45
Warney - thank you for you eloquent response regarding my initial post. As much as i respect your comments i feel that unless you are able to express yourself without the use of such derogatory language you should not even bother posting.

It's probably people like you and the comments you make that put people off from posting on the forum.

If i was to lower myself to your level i would call you a prat - but since i have more respect for other peoples opinion i will refrain.

Rgds

Darksaviour69
December 8th, 2004, 08:50
warney, tringo is right. There was no need for post like that and it clear in the forum rules that flameing can get you BANNED. This is a warning, don't do it again.

scrabbus
December 8th, 2004, 09:05
Look lets be honest, the DS was designed to attempt to do something different with a handheld, DONT GET ME STARTED ON A FANBOY RANT, I'm ****ing sick of FanBoys, Give it up people, lets all just apreciate whats out there, this isnt a battle, would you fight to the death to defend a console manufacturer??? NO, I didnt think so, every system has its good and bad points, if you like a certain game/games then great but dont try and subvert others opinions with loose talk about this or that, please people lets not let this Forum degenerate like so many others out there, we are all here because we are Games fans, I'm 31 Ive been at this since I was about 5 years old, I know what I'm talking about here so please people have some respect for yourselves and each other.

souLLy
December 8th, 2004, 09:17
You complete ****TARD had it for 2 weeks and only played on it for one hour. Some of us normal people aren't as lucky as you are!!!!

Stupid Bastard

don't talk to other forum members like that, i'm giving you a warning now- do it again and you'll be banned.

forgetmenot
December 8th, 2004, 09:51
The olny thing that dissapoints me about the ds is that there r no online games for it right now and probly wont be for a wile. and i am also a bit dissapointed with the games that r out.

shade
December 8th, 2004, 10:11
The DS was rushed out to compete with the PSP, so ofthe course the first batch of games won't be anything special.

tringo
December 8th, 2004, 10:18
Thanks for all the posts in this topic - i didnt want to make the topic as though i was bashing the DS because i think with time the games will be pretty special.

i remember when the GBA first came out the games were OK but if you compare them to some of the games you can get for the GBA now the improvement is quite immense. Once the developers have more experience producing games on the DS i think we will really see the power of the DS.

forgetmenot
December 8th, 2004, 10:21
I agree but i still think they made a poor choise us lanch games.I mean why dont they make zelda

Zaneblade
December 8th, 2004, 11:18
i remember when the GBA first came out the games were OK but if you compare them to some of the games you can get for the GBA now the improvement is quite immense. Once the developers have more experience producing games on the DS i think we will really see the power of the DS.

yea thats the 1 things thats guna rule!! how good are games guna be in a couple of years when the graphics are even better and people have thought of very cool original ideas!!!!

I agree but i still think they made a poor choise us lanch games.I mean why dont they make zelda

yea i do agree but there was no zelda because they well still making mis for the GBA!! they will now be making 1 for the DS and it will rule and every1 knows it!!

Kamjin
December 8th, 2004, 20:19
Anyway would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts and opinions on the DS now that they have one in their hands so to speak.

I'm also not as impressed as I thought I would be. I really don't like the akwardness of holding the unit, and using the touch screen, while still being able to use the left shoulder button. I think that's where the "heavyness" comes from, having to support the unit almost with one hand. Also the current released/planned lineup.. are also making me wonder if the PSP is going to be my portable of choice and make the DS a paperweight. I almost have this horrible feeling of a GC revisit with 10 really good titles, and loads of 3rd rate "franchise" games, and card based rpg's..

Zaneblade
December 9th, 2004, 06:47
DS has more game developers and more games coming out or planed to come out on it!

warney
December 9th, 2004, 09:50
No thanks

Darksaviour69
December 9th, 2004, 09:55
warney consider youself banned

warneyboy
December 9th, 2004, 09:58
Warney you complete fool didn't you think you'd be banned!!? I think he completely 100 percent deserved that. ??? Freak

Darksaviour69
December 9th, 2004, 10:00
i can see you ip address, and know you are warney (warneyboy), i'm just going to ban you IP address.

btw don't mess with admins ;)

scrabbus
December 9th, 2004, 12:19
Hoorah they all shouted as the foul mouthed Fanboy is removed from castle dreamcast,Nice one, its better this way, now we can have sensible grown up discussions,

Wa_k_Ja_k
December 9th, 2004, 13:50
disapointed!! u people complain too much, this is as gud as it gets for handheld and u ppl stiill complain, not heavy 1 bit and it still seems to amaze me how good this console is,
go and invent a better 1 then cock head!!

Wa_k_Ja_k
December 9th, 2004, 13:51
hmmm thingy is not S--h--i--t

wraggster
December 9th, 2004, 13:54
everyone has an opinion and until the PSP is released its one sided at the mo.

I personally think the DS is great but like all consoles the first games wont really push the hardware or even gameplay to new limits.

reviews by gaming mags etc should be taken with a pinch of salt, i remember a magazine giving mario kart a rating of 82% for the Snes and it was worth a lot higher than that.

guyTHP
December 9th, 2004, 16:02
Out of interest, how long do batteries last in the ds? *I was impressed with the life of them in my GBA (mind you, I associated a colour screen (ok, backlit) with the life span of batteries in the mighty atari lynx), do you get a lot of play for your money?

Zaneblade
December 10th, 2004, 09:14
6-10 hrs

forgetmenot
December 14th, 2004, 10:18
is mario ds the same thing as mario 64?

Zaneblade
December 14th, 2004, 11:02
yea but with 4 plays and some mini-games