PDA

View Full Version : Wolfenstein V5.1 - Wanted Features? + Status

Zack
September 16th, 2008, 21:22
I was going to merge this thread with the 5.1 status update thread but I need to ask some questions too.

So first lets start off with the good news. I now am able to compile and actually run Wolf3D for the first time since I got my new laptop. So this means development can finally continue.

So we all know that the music tempo is going to be slowed down and that the save/load bug is fixed. (needs further testing to confirm)

But what else shall I include in v5.1?

I am going to re-write the gameloader menu in SDL (to save me work when I do the pc version). Now regarding the Gameloader. I am thinking of structuring it differently.

A few members here did some concept art for it and I will more than likely use that. But is there any point including the shareware versions in the gameloader menu?

Maybe a gameloader for the full versions, and a gameloader for the shareware versions. So that would be two zip files per release. 1 for people with the full version files, and the other for people that don't. Also shall I remove the music and sound effects from the gameloader to make the overall zip file smaller (for download purposes) ?

The bug regarding the "difficulty selection being grayed out" will be fixed.

Aside from that anything else that should be in v5.1?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Via RetroEmu.com (http://www.retroemu.com/showthread.php?p=494#post494)

myuusmeow
September 16th, 2008, 23:01
I think for the menu, it should just be 2 box shots of both games (its just Wolf3D and SOD right?) and then a line of text on the bottom saying "Press [Triangle] to Switch Game Mode" then under that another line of text saying like "Shareware Mode"

juiceface
September 16th, 2008, 23:09
cheats, or does it already include them?

Zack
September 16th, 2008, 23:18
cheats, or does it already include them?

It already includes them :)

And now i want to contribute. I have designed an image for the menu.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2afa5h5.png

Everyone think this is probably the best way of having the gameloader?

Mista Grimm
September 17th, 2008, 01:28
i like that one, keep it :D

Slade
September 17th, 2008, 01:59
What about loading mods? There's a ton of 'em out there, and I wouldn't mind playing those on my psp.

doom5
September 17th, 2008, 01:59
How about adding an automap? I know it wouldn't be trivial, but it is possible.

Lazyone showed screen shots of an automap in the DS version he was working on, but the version with the automap never made it out before he quit working on it.

wolfpack
September 17th, 2008, 03:46
Ill post up the pics of the boxart for the expansion episodes :)

Edit: here they are, boxart for the expansions

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll479/wheels6754/1025521305-00.jpg
http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll479/wheels6754/24605908_fbb5161430.jpg

Just in case if you ever feel like using them :)

elliott_nally
September 17th, 2008, 05:33
Oh Don't forget the blood effect when you die!

More info from your 5.0 release thread on this post:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148114210&postcount=69

Can't wait for 5.1!! Keep up the Good work!

Zack
September 17th, 2008, 19:23
What about loading mods? There's a ton of 'em out there, and I wouldn't mind playing those on my psp.

Some mods work already. Ones that don't were made by adding/modifying wolf3d source code (the original pc version usually) so they won't work unless someone can get me the source code so I can support them.

I tried emailing some of the mod creators but none replied :(. If you manage to get hold of them and get the source code for me, I will be happy to add support for the mod in question ;)

How about adding an automap? I know it wouldn't be trivial, but it is possible.

Lazyone showed screen shots of an automap in the DS version he was working on, but the version with the automap never made it out before he quit working on it.

Can you elaborate more on this? Screens would help. :)

Oh Don't forget the blood effect when you die!

More info from your 5.0 release thread on this post:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148114210&postcount=69

Can't wait for 5.1!! Keep up the Good work!

Yep I will add that in too :) Thanks for reminding me :thumbup:

da1writer
September 17th, 2008, 22:27
dammit...
I wish I could help out with this release Zack but as stated in our last conversation, It's going to be real hard to get a computer on my hands because

A) Movers came this week and took everything. Only computer left in the house (the only hardware in the house) is my wife's laptop
B) to further that, Wife is doing college classes right now on it.

If you wish to do a release without me this time around, I have no issues with that. Sorrowfully, your beta tester this time around might be out of the loop :( . Glad you are adding the stuff people would like n the next release, you keep up the good work alright. Behind ya the whole way :thumbup: !

P.S. Had to go to the library to get wife her books for school and hopped on the computer here to type this up. Hopefully I'll get a chance to write to ya again before I leave Alaska :cool:!

azul88
September 18th, 2008, 00:32
Sounds great what I read here! :-)

Regarding the Map: I remember that there was one in the First edition on the game when starting it with the "-next" parameter. (http://www.abby-cheat.com/html/Pc_cheats/Wolfenstein_3D_cheat.html). THis map kinda sucked, but if this is still somewhere in the game, maybe it can be reactivated.
Beside that the savegame issue (maybe even add quicksave and quickload), the way too high analog controller sensitivity and the "accidentally activated cheat modes" come to mind when it's about waiting for a revised version of the port... Basically, everything that makes it as close to the original game experience as possible would be great. So all "non-standard stuff" should be either left out or be optional (imho).
Looking forward to it, keep up the great work!

thanks!

azul

Zack
September 18th, 2008, 04:28
dammit...
I wish I could help out with this release Zack but as stated in our last conversation, It's going to be real hard to get a computer on my hands because

A) Movers came this week and took everything. Only computer left in the house (the only hardware in the house) is my wife's laptop
B) to further that, Wife is doing college classes right now on it.

If you wish to do a release without me this time around, I have no issues with that. Sorrowfully, your beta tester this time around might be out of the loop :( . Glad you are adding the stuff people would like n the next release, you keep up the good work alright. Behind ya the whole way :thumbup: !

P.S. Had to go to the library to get wife her books for school and hopped on the computer here to type this up. Hopefully I'll get a chance to write to ya again before I leave Alaska :cool:!

Hey man I wondered why you have been offline on Msn :p

It's ok man, I have no ETA for the release at present. Could take a few days, or a few weeks. Depends on how many features people want in it really and how much free time I manage to get.

With the current requests, a release could be made in a day or two, depends on the users :p

The readme would only need slight modification I would think, since this is going to mainly be bug fixes with some new features thrown in.

Take care with the move man and hope to hear from ya soon!