PDA

View Full Version : Study Finds Video Games Are Not Bad for Kids

wraggster
September 17th, 2008, 16:27
mcgrew writes with news that a study done by the Pew Internet & American Life Project has found game playing is all but universal among teens, and it provides a "significant amount of social interaction and potential for civic engagement." 97% of teens responding to the survey said they played games (75% played weekly or more often), and roughly two-thirds of teens use games as a social experience. The full report (PDF) and the questionnaire with answer data (PDF) are both available for viewing. From the report: "Youth who take part in social interaction related to the game, such as commenting on websites or contributing to discussion boards, are more engaged civically and politically. Youth who play games where they are part of guilds are not more civically engaged than youth who play games alone."

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/16/2145236

devdj
September 17th, 2008, 19:40
did they only find this out now because they had that emo *** jack thompson up there arse for last couple of years

trugamer
September 17th, 2008, 22:47
The problem I have with these studies is that they always seem to prove what they set out to. This one seemed to be in favour of gamers from the sort of questions are asked, while others against gamers do the same thing.

The only way you can judge them is from being published in reliable journals, as simply people (myself included) don't have the knowledge to judge the quality of the science.

XDelusion
September 18th, 2008, 02:27
Not so, I just got done playing Super Princess Peach the other day, then went on a killing spree...

...women, cihldren, pets, you name it, i didn't hold back!

davidcrew
September 19th, 2008, 08:47
Not so, I just got done playing Super Princess Peach the other day, then went on a killing spree...

...women, cihldren, pets, you name it, i didn't hold back!

yeah, i heard that game is worse for you than gta4 :)