PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS useing GBA SP AC adaptor ?

nac2
November 30th, 2004, 04:18
Hello,

I live in Australia and ive ordered a Nintendo DS from USA.

Im wondering if i can use a Australian GBA SP AC adaptor to power and charge my Nintendo DS without damageing it?

Email from Nintendo:
Nintendo Game Boy Advance SP AC Adapter was not designed for, and has not
been certified to be used with the Nintendo DS. We suggest that you only
use the Nintendo DS AC Adapter (Model No. NTR-002) when charging your
Nintendo DS system.

Has anyone else had a similar issues or has used the GBA SP AC adaptor on the Nintendo DS ?

Any suggestion greatly appreciated
Thank you for your time

forgetmenot
November 30th, 2004, 10:27
I dont see why you just use the adapter from the one you orderd. but the sp adapter looks perty much the same althou it probly has different voltage(sorry about my bad spelling)

Zaneblade
December 1st, 2004, 16:24
i heard that it was the same yes

Wa_k_Ja_k
December 4th, 2004, 12:08
you dont need the 'ds' adapter as it is exactly the same as the sp
but it says ds on it!
you can use any adapter as long as it is the same voltage in and out and the end port,
im using a sp adapter for my ds,
**** nintendo they know shit :P

Wa_k_Ja_k
December 4th, 2004, 12:09
haha they changed S - H --I --T to nuts lol

wraggster
December 4th, 2004, 12:15
i have a japan GBA SP and 2 asian gba sps and although they require diferenet adapters from the mains i use the usb power adapter cable and it does all 3 perfectly

BlackAura
December 4th, 2004, 20:55
I dont see why you just use the adapter from the one you orderd. but the sp adapter looks perty much the same althou it probly has different voltage(sorry about my bad spelling)

The US uses 110V AC power supply at 60Hz. Australia uses 220V AC power at 50Hz.

Let me put it this way... Most PC power supplies have a little switch at the back to change between 110V and 220V input. My younger brother once changed that switch on a PC to 110V, and turned the power on. The power supply exploded.

Eric
December 5th, 2004, 05:02
he is right thats how i screwed up my GamePark pissed me off and you gotta know what your doing when it comes to voltage

Parodius
December 5th, 2004, 06:29
he is right thats how i screwed up my GamePark pissed me off and you gotta know what your doing when it comes to voltage

Espicially since the GP32 uses the crazy Korean voltage.

But i'd say it'd be okay, most reviewers used the SP charger.

Zaneblade
December 6th, 2004, 09:57
so if i import i can charge it?? i dont care what charger i use at all!!! i have plug switch thingys i just wana make sure it dont burn out and break when i charge it!!

LyonHrt
December 8th, 2004, 07:29
Well i have an japanese sp, and i took the chance of getting a replacement power pack (from game in the uk), and it worked fine.

forgetmenot
December 8th, 2004, 09:54
my brother charged his gameboy advance sp with my ds charge cord and it worked fine

Zaneblade
December 8th, 2004, 11:28
with US imports is a UK SP charger is used then it works fine!!

Kamjin
December 8th, 2004, 20:29
Hello,

I live in Australia and ive ordered a Nintendo DS from USA.

Im wondering if i can use a Australian GBA SP AC adaptor to power and charge my Nintendo DS without damageing it?

Email from Nintendo:
Nintendo Game Boy Advance SP AC Adapter was not designed for, and has not
been certified to be used with the Nintendo DS. *We suggest that you only
use the Nintendo DS AC Adapter (Model No. NTR-002) when charging your
Nintendo DS system.

Has anyone else had a similar issues or has used the GBA SP AC adaptor on the Nintendo DS ?

Any suggestion greatly appreciated
Thank you for your time

I haven't taken my DS adapter out of the box, I've been using my SP's, and haven't had any problem with it so far.

Zaneblade
December 9th, 2004, 06:44
for UK people UK SP adaptors work and DS adators dont!!

this is because the step down in the sp charger is ment for UK plug sockets and the DS and sp same power so when the DS come out over here the DS adator will be the same as SP 1!!

JAL
December 10th, 2004, 23:28
You should be able to use your SP adapters as long as the have 5.2V going into the DS. If you have taken any basic electricity/science courses in school you would know that they're are anly two things that matter, the input and the output. But, if they foreign (UK) sp's have a different input (to the sp) your out of luck.

Belfast_Giant
December 13th, 2004, 05:38
I have just arrived back from the U.S. with my new DS and here's what I have done regarding the power supplies.
The power supply included with the DS is 110v AC input and 5.2 v DC output so this wasnt going to be compatible with the 240v AC used in the U.K.
The store I purchased the DS from was also selling a quick charge power supply separately and when I looked at the voltage spec for this, it was 110-240v input and 5.2 volts output so this works just fine.
I also bought a travel adaptor plug to convert the 2 pin plug used in the U.S. to a 3 pin plug used in the U.K.

Reading through the user manual does state that no other power supplies are compatible with the DS but this is obviously wrong by the comments stated above.