PDA

View Full Version : Warning- Never Pay For Homebrew

wraggster
December 15th, 2005, 19:40
It has been brought to my attention by a source who i cannot divulge that a PSP site may try to charge by way of membership to download Homebrew files, now until it happens i will take this as a rumour but the site who i wont divulge at the mo plans to ask for membership fees for their downloads section, similiar to what other file downloaders do.

Now remember that Homebrew is for free, if any site asks you to pay via any means tell them a big no and to developers make sure if it happens that you force them to take your releases away from them, i hope this is just a rumour but with the PSP scene nothing surprises me.

Confirmation

Earlier i was pointed to a download on that server that had a price to download, i didnt take a screencap but i did post the news over at PS2dev in the release thread and the download is now free, but i wasnt the only one that spotted it, the price for download was .11$ and yes that isnt much but when software is supposed to be free its a downright cheek, the link is here for those interested --> http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=3571&start=210 (thats the link to what i posted in the release thread)

SmashinGit
December 15th, 2005, 19:52
Would go against the principle of homebrew. Instead of paying for it from some dodgy site just donate to the author instead.

wraggster
December 15th, 2005, 20:08
yes it looks like the site has already been revealed judging by comments on psp--updates (and by that i mean their new download site which charges for big downloads)

Lame doesnt even come close im afraid

ForteGSX
December 15th, 2005, 21:07
Yeah, thats a travesty. they should be hanged for such wrongdoings.

rollerskates
December 15th, 2005, 21:54
It has already been stated multiple times by PSP--Updates that PSP files, including homebrew, are free. Period.

If you would take two seconds to look at their new download site you would see that it is not just for PSP files, but for tons of things, PC game files, PC software, game patches, Videos, etc.

If a new game demo came out that I wanted to play, (for example Call of Duty 2 demo, which is 600MB), instead of waiting in line and downloading it at 20k/sec from fileplanet, I'd sure as hell pay 10 cents to get it fast.

But PSP files, as they have said, are FREE. Go look at them now, theres tons of PSP files up there and they are all FREE.

Why do you complain about that site ALL THE TIME Wraggster? Some of your points in the past were valid, but now, there is nothing that they do wrong other than not source YOUR SITE, and I wouldn't source you either if I were them. I think you are jealous beyond belief of the fact that they have ten times your traffic after only being online a couple of months.

Get over it. They made a better site.

T-2000
December 15th, 2005, 23:53
Wraggsters only letting others know, it didnt even come from him, and im sure he checked it out..most psp sites have the same stuff on them, some sites may look fancier, those being the ones asked to donate..

Skye
December 16th, 2005, 00:50
I don't usually post to much around here, but screw this. First of all you should never have to pay for something that's free (which all those demos and everything are), and I see your point about all the content rollerskates. The point is there are plenty of sites where you could download anything they have, and at a decent speed too. Fileplant is a joke in itself and no one ever even brought that up. DCEmu (Emulation 64 Network) has always had decent download speeds, and better yet the best news coverage around. It's a free network that have never forced anyone to pay a cent, and pays for their server through a couple of ads, donations, and out of the operators pockets.

Second, it's just wrong to steal news from another site and not crediting. The emulation scene has had many problems with this in the past, and it's just something that ends up pissing people off. Wraggster can be pissed off if he wants to (though I don't know he is), I'd be mad if it was my site.

Third, I think you're doing drugs if you think psp-updates, is a better site or even looks better. Because while the PSP section of DCEmu doesn't look pretty atleast it riddled with ads EVERY single inch of the page, just a couple at the top and side frame. I think it is disgusting to have as many ads as other sites do. More than enough to pay the costs of the servers, and then still want you to sign up to be a premium member. Screw that and stop defending them. It's just stupid and you make yourself look like an ass.

Lastly, I just love how all these new members no doubt from psp-updates are signing up and defending the site. ;D

wraggster
December 16th, 2005, 00:59
actually the Demo of PMP Media player with Hellboy earlier had a price on of .11$ to buy, think im lying then check http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=3571&start=210 where someone backed me up.

They changed it only after i tipped the authors off

yellowbrowntwo
December 16th, 2005, 01:04
Out of the hundereds of PSP files that are up there, i don't see one that requires me to pay anything.

wraggster
December 16th, 2005, 01:07
there was earlier

wraggster
December 16th, 2005, 01:08
some of the new members are probably admins/mods of that site :p

T-2000
December 16th, 2005, 11:13
Lastly, I just love how all these new members no doubt from psp-updates are signing up and defending the site. ;D

never been a member, even had trouble finding the site... :)

The_Truth
December 16th, 2005, 12:33
Wraggster, I have held back posting on these forums and just have paid attention to the news, but I must place my comment on this issue.

Stop acting like a baby. Saying: "There was earlier" is crap-talk. Yes, it may have been charged for earlier, but look at it now, FREE. Did you look at it 1 minute after you saw it? Maybe then it would be considered free if you looked. It was an honest mistake by those guys, and you should not be complaining about them, just run your own site and do the news like you have been, but leave QJ out of this. Your biased opinion has been proved before, so there is no use arguing with you, but stop acting like a kid and start acting bigger. It is not priced now, so stop complaining and it has been stated by many people that the downloads (PSP) will be free!! What more is there to tell you.

PS: I don't go to this PSP-Updates site much, but my brother does. He enjoys it, and I enjoy this site, so please do not say anything that will make my love for this site change, just post the real news, no biased news.

rand11
December 16th, 2005, 15:33
Here's my two cents. Every time the words "a certain PSP site" comes up I automatically know its about PSP--Updates, and is almost always used in a derogatory fashion. Dont get me wrong, PSP--Updates are no angels and that site needs improving on all most all levels but the slagging is getting old. What makes it worse is I dont remember them ever slagging off PSPNews so unfortunately you do come across as being jealous. Of course there's nothing to be jealous of since your website is much better and half the members they have, you wouldnt want (judging by their forums and comments section).

Edit - ok so since when is ********** a banned word, come on Wraggster be the bigger man.

Cap'n 1time
December 16th, 2005, 17:43
I personally now would just like to see everyone get along.. Yes I know that I used to be the biggest hater of pspu in the word. And yes I think that the owners of the site are cheap bastards that do technically make money off some crappy extended user services... I think its immoral but its not really any of our concern. I feel the main reason that pspu has more members is because the majority of "psp hackers" ( :p ) find their forum staff a bit more patient (and god knows some of their users need alot of patients). The users here are generally a bit more intellectual I find. The people that lagg behind generally run away with a trail of tears behind them.

Anyways, what we all need to learn is to benefit the psp scene and not ourselves.

yellowbrowntwo
December 16th, 2005, 20:51
(from Clay)

Firstly, let me say that, while I understand that there are things that seem to frustrate you about our site, there are definitely things that you do that frustrate us. But we have never - and will never - publicly talk crap about another site. I think that us, your users, and my users, are all sick of the bashing. Let's just let our differences be. You have a great site here and you are welcome to run it any way you like. I would appreciate the same consideration from you.

Now, about our new download site. When manually adding hundereds of files from my old files server to my new one, maybe a file or two slipped in without the "free download" box checked in my back end.

Yesterday I fixed the one file you brought up, and searched the rest and could find no more that were flagged as pay files. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, but the freak-out-conspiracy-theory was taking it a step too far in my opinion. It was an honest mistake.

But lets take a look at the situation in general. The file you pointed out that was accidentally flagged as a pay file, is a 20 MB file, and has already gotten 8,019 downloads in the two days it's been on our site. Do the math, that is 160.3 GIGABYTES of bandwidth we served for free. And that is just for one file, in two days. Imagine if we had a hundered files this size or bigger, for a month, do you know what that kind of bandwidth costs?

Is asking for a few cents to download something asking too much? If you think it is, that's fine, i'm sure you can find alternate sources. We aren't forcing anyone to do anything. If someone wants to pay a few cents to get a fast download of a file they want, then we're here for them.

Now, to address this issue. Will DL.Q J.net charge for bandwidth for small homebrew files? No. Our old files system had the ability to charge for files. Have we EVER used it in the past for PSP files? No. Small PSP related files always have been, and will remain, FREE.

Will DL.Q J.net charge for bandwidth of some large files, mostly completely unrelated to PSP and homebrew? Yes. Think of DL.Q J.net as a new type of fileplanet/filefront type site.

If a World of Warcraft patch comes out, everyone is scrambling to get it from Blizzard, so transfer speeds really suffer. DL.QJ will be an alternative source for large files such as these, for just pennies per download. This is better than spending $7-10 per month at other large download sites, when you only want a certain file. You only pay for the bandwidth you use, not the file.

wraggster
December 16th, 2005, 20:57
OK ill close this matter, but i hope i never have to bring it up again.