PDA

View Full Version : The Sad Day for Wii Homebrew - Piracy 1 Homebrew 0

wraggster
September 19th, 2008, 16:19
Yes the release of waninkokos back uploader has apparently been leaked on the net and all those who enjoy pirating are happily doing whatever they do, sadly for real homebrewers this is a kick in the teeth. Even worse when respected tech sites like engadget etc post it with somewhat delight in the post, nice to see homebrewers from not just the wii scene condemn this, despite what some tards on lesser sites think this is bad for homebrew and homebrew sites, yeah Sony apparently havent got the brains or dont give a monkeys about the PSP apart from anyone selling consoles to us in europe (remember lik sang) but Nintendo are a different propostition but whatever happens and appareantly Waninkoko has abandoned the project this will im sure lead to repercussions, ill be interested to hear what Bushing, Marcan and others from Hackmii have to say on this subject.

Yes anyone with any knowledge knows that Wii Modchips have run backups for a long time (more importantly homebrew) but this release that doesnt need any extra hardware so its extremely damaging for nintendo, im not sure how easy to brick your console it will be because of the hack but frankly you take the risk.

I will post updates on this when they come in.

cert2727
September 19th, 2008, 16:36
this is so sad... i just got everyone in my house hyped out about this! oh well. does the leaked version work well? i found it, but havent messed with it yet

supersoni88
September 19th, 2008, 16:39
who really cares...i mean since it was leaked early, Wainkoko stated on his site that he's abandoning the project. and from what i hear there's alot of bugs in the leaked beta. so i wouldn't worry too much about this hurting the scene

EDIT: apparently it was one of the people on GBAtemp that leaked it

dejkirkby
September 19th, 2008, 16:40
As I've stated before, an ISO loader doesn't bother me whatsoever.
BUT, I still feel for Waninkoko in as much as his own team of testers have shit on him. He got a massive amount of grief from loads of people, including some from this site, regarding some of his programs. But he still persevered and gave the scene what they wanted.
As much as people try to take the high ground, a lot of people use his programs for less than honourable things, such as WAD manager and now the ISO loader.
IF (and that's a big IF) this endsup being Waninkoko's last release/project, then I'd like to thank him. I won't confirm whether I have or intend to use any of his projects, but he has worked hard for ALL of us in the homebrew scene.
Waninkoko, I salute you.

joshuamic
September 19th, 2008, 17:02
This was not GBAtemp's fault. It was one of the 50 beta testers that decided to leak it.

Sir_Voe
September 19th, 2008, 17:26
I'm no conspiracy theorist, but after hearing about wanin's relation to certain chip manufacturers being part of his motivation, I have to wonder if his reaction to the leak is staged. I wasn't planning on using it anyways, (I don't even have a DVD burner for one thing) but watching the whole thing snowball and unfold was mildly interesting. It will be a shame if this causes Nintendo to really focus on putting the axe to all homebrew methods though.

agenericperson
September 19th, 2008, 17:26
Worst news ever! In that, it was leaked and is incomplete and might not get finished.

trugamer
September 19th, 2008, 18:13
If its incomplete it'll probably break things/ not work properly.

If thats the case Nintendo may be able to make it so that games simply don't load properly, rather than go to the trouble of beating the twilight hack (which they clearly can't do)

Nintendo Maniac 64
September 19th, 2008, 18:18
Though, I must say - it's better to have a leaked incomplete buggy version than a perfect version. Even better if this causes development of it to stop.

Xiofire
September 19th, 2008, 18:36
Im not gonna lie, I did get a hold of it, and I did try it out for myself. Its nothing to worry about. For me, my backup of Mario Strikers was unplayable, the opening sequence wouldn't play, it hung up multiple times, and loading times were ridiculously long. Its nothing to be worried about, seriously, if someone will really sit through that just to play a pirated game, they are desperate. REAL desperate.

Deleted it off my Wii, back to homebrew :)

-Xiofire

qwerty11
September 19th, 2008, 20:10
Im not gonna lie, I did get a hold of it, and I did try it out for myself. Its nothing to worry about. For me, my backup of Mario Strikers was unplayable, the opening sequence wouldn't play, it hung up multiple times, and loading times were ridiculously long. Its nothing to be worried about, seriously, if someone will really sit through that just to play a pirated game, they are desperate. REAL desperate.

Deleted it off my Wii, back to homebrew :)

-Xiofire

Just loaded up Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles and it worked flawlessly and the extra loading times were hardly noticeable.

Also, tried out Mario Kart and it worked perfect except I couldn't get online to work but that didn't really bother me as i was playing with 3 of my friends.

I've come to believe that (E) PAL games work a lot better then the USA NTSC games.

If your not happy with the release don't bitch about it, Id give it less then a month before everything is running at full speed and 100%.

Xiofire
September 19th, 2008, 20:27
Just loaded up Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles and it worked flawlessly and the extra loading times were hardly noticeable.

Also, tried out Mario Kart and it worked perfect except I couldn't get online to work but that didn't really bother me as i was playing with 3 of my friends.

I've come to believe that (E) PAL games work a lot better then the USA NTSC games.

If your not happy with the release don't bitch about it, Id give it less then a month before everything is running at full speed and 100%.

I wasnt bitching firstly, I was just reporting my experiences. Mine was a PAL game, and it had many problems. May i ask what disks you used to burn? And what method you used to backup and burn?

Thanks

-Xiofire

Darksaviour69
September 19th, 2008, 20:37
May i ask what disks you used to burn? And what method you used to backup and burn?

Thanks

-Xiofire

Ok, don't forget the rules, discussion on how to run pirate games is not allowed

Xiofire
September 19th, 2008, 20:58
Ok, don't forget the rules, discussion on how to run pirate games is not allowed

Oh sorry forgot ;)

Can he tell me the disks? and the program he used to burn? Like IMGBurn or Nero? Or do those infringe the rules?

Thanks

-Xiofire

Solidsnake3000
September 19th, 2008, 21:00
Well people I respect that he has stopped because yeah he faced allot of discrimination against people he himself has helped correct me if I'm wrong but if there was no wad installer would we be able to get homebrew channel and help people who don't have a modchip to install homebrew on their Wii's I'm just saying give the guy a break.

giopagent12
September 19th, 2008, 21:10
Well, yeah found a video on youtube with the link. Haven't tried it yet, but I will.
To be honest, I was getting tired of waiting.
Though this might not load some backups, i'm still happy as hell.
I don't care if this is a beta, as long as it can load backups.
Bottom line: I'm happy it was leaked. I was growing tired of waiting.

davidcrew
September 19th, 2008, 23:34
Man that is pretty sad. I don't like pirating, and to see something that was stolen from someone and leaked to the public is never good. It's like if someone had leaked an invention idea like the iPod to Microsoft and other competitors before it was released.

Darksaviour69
September 20th, 2008, 01:14
Oh sorry forgot ;)

Can he tell me the disks? and the program he used to burn? Like IMGBurn or Nero? Or do those infringe the rules?

Thanks

-Xiofire

Any discussion of piracy is not allowed in the forums, we are just about allowing most comments in this topic because its current news, but normally post like "This game runs ok, but this does not" is not allowed. We have too draw a line somewhere.