PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo thwarting Wii modders with epoxy-locked chips; Wii Backup Loader abandoned

wraggster
September 19th, 2008, 21:13
News via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/19/nintendo-thwarting-wii-modders-with-epoxy-locked-chips-wii-back/)

A double shot of bad news for the Wii hacking set today -- not only do new Wiis appear to have a modchip-proof layer of epoxy around the DVD-ROM IC chips, Waninkoko has abandoned the Wii Backup-Loader project. The modchip news isn't all that surprising -- Ninty's been fighting a losing battle against chip devs for a while now, and gluing things down with epoxy is a logical solution -- but Waninkoko quitting is a bit of a shock, since we just caught wind of the Wii Backup-Loader a few days ago. Apparently he's not happy that it was leaked this morning, so he's dropping it.

Shame the wii homebrew scene has already been hurt with the piracy release

giopagent12
September 19th, 2008, 21:16
Wow, that sucks.
I mean the modchip problem.
I don't honestly care that Wanikoko abandoned the project.
Reason for that is because tehskeen is working on one as well. ^_^

Solidsnake3000
September 19th, 2008, 22:25
No one gives Wanikoko the respect he deserves.

ICE
September 19th, 2008, 23:48
Two big blows for Wii pirates! Hooray!

giopagent12
September 20th, 2008, 03:42
Wanikoko is an amazing wii homebrew coder, and it's a shame he decided to quit the project.
He should have been a bit smarter about the choices for beta testers.
But yeah, no disrespect against Wanikoko intended.

kingslime80
September 20th, 2008, 05:24
I think Wanikoko did the right thing about the loader. Even from a non-piracy standpoint it could have got him/her (I make no assumptions :P) in big trouble in the long run. I'm not surprised that Nintendo went the Epoxy route, I'm just surprised they didn't do it sooner.