PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto : Chinatown Wars first screens

wraggster
September 19th, 2008, 22:08
Grand Theft Auto : Chinatown Wars first screensNintendo Power magazine has some new details about the upcoming Grand Theft Auto : Chinatown Wars for the Nintendo DS. The magazine reveals that the game will have a cel-shaded look and action will be viewed from an isometric perspective. The first screenshots of the game will be soon available.

- True GTA game - sandbox gameplay, open-world environment, gritty crime narrative.
- M-rating
- Isometric camera angle
- Cel-shaded polygons w/ black borders
- good touch-screen implementation - 'tasteful' minigames, streamlining interface
- UI based on a PDA - hub for email, contacts, map, music player, GPS, stat-tracking
- stats uploaded to Rockstar Social Club website via Wi-Fi
- finger-sized icons
- missions designed for shorter periods of play, arcade quality
- aiming with control pad, auto targeting with R button
- subtle autosteer
- if you fail a mission, you can jump back to the action sequence
- chain gun, flamethrower
- good portion of Liberty City is modeled in the game (different routes than console games)
- no probems with load times, draw-in or frame rate
- lots of pedestrians, cars, etc on screen
- Wanted system - objective is to disable police cars any way possible
- real-time weather effects, 24-hour day/night cycle
- lots of radio stations to listen to (more instrumentals than vocals)
- 800,000 lines of hand-optimized source code (hey, the people like the info, right?)
- no details yet on multiplayer/Wi-Fi features

http://www.gamekyo.com/news29038_grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-first-screens.html

Screens Via Comments

Joker0693
September 19th, 2008, 22:24
i am very pleased with this. The features look good and these are almost exactly the kind of graphics i was looking for. I didn't want a 2d game, but on the other hand I didn't want them to try and fail at making it 3d with horrible textures like in mech wars and transformers.

wraggster
September 19th, 2008, 22:55
not sure what i think at the moment, the shots are grainy too so i cant wait for true resolution shots

Eviltaco64
September 20th, 2008, 00:50
Looks Psuedo-3D.
Honestly, I would've rather had the 2D aerial type of GTA game, myself.

kcajblue
September 20th, 2008, 01:44
i dont like the 2d overhead like what they did with the gba ones.

i personally thought they were crap.

but this looks better than that.

Sin-07
September 20th, 2008, 02:56
Aaaaah What's that? It looks horrible! Driver 3 on GBA looks much better. I'm disapointed. :(

agenericperson
September 20th, 2008, 04:09
It reminds me of the GTA's on the gameboys. At first, I'm impressed at seeing GTA on a Nintendo product. But after a second look it just looks like a watered down version of GTA. But how watered down is this game? Only time will tell.

ICE
September 20th, 2008, 04:36
I think that camera angle and style is very smart.

jrsmaster411
September 20th, 2008, 04:56
looks pretty awful but ds games usually look bad in screen shots, most gta fans probably wont like it but I actually liked gta advance

F2bnp
September 20th, 2008, 07:59
Oh shutup, these are magazine shots how good do you expect them to be?Have you gotten a look in the actual game itself?Personally I think this is very smart although I would prefer the 2D overhead,it rocked.Waiting for the final product...

pas
September 20th, 2008, 08:30
even more (better screens): http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=3857

nightblade36
September 20th, 2008, 11:47
It doesn't look bad, but I would have still liked to see a 3rd-person view like in the newer console games. I still say they could pull it off.

The areas would probably be smaller, but if Tony Hawk can do it on the DS, then GTA can.

Cevius
September 20th, 2008, 14:39
I like the look of it, reminds me a lot of GTA2, just with a better 3d camera.

Ill wait for a video or two, or the game itself to come out before Ill know if its going to enjoyable.

Vega
September 22nd, 2008, 09:40
come on.... when Marvel Universe did this, when DC did this, when X-men did this.. and dare I say when 50 freakin cent did this... EVERYONE was sayin how crap these 3d top-down games are and how you were all sick of them. now that its a GTA game.. all of the sudden its 'smart' and 'stylish'? catch a grip. It looks crap from these screens.
from the view given in the screenshots.. the driving could end up as tacky as Micro Machines v4