PDA

View Full Version : What Genre Are You Sick Of?

wraggster
September 20th, 2008, 10:13
Ahoy! It's Friday, time to pull up a chair, pour yourself a drink and chat. That's right, time for Tell Us Dammit — rather, TELL US DAMMIT. Here's how it works: We ask a question, you answer it. Simple and no strings attached! This isn't some marketing survey or whatever. It's an emotional investment in you. Yes, we're interested in knowing you, Kotaku reader person. You probably know ****tons about us — more than you even want to, we're sure. But, hey, we'd like to know about you. That way you won't be some faceless blob — and we might feel a tinge of guilt when we ban your ass. Or not, because really we're incapable of human emotion. Who knows!

Question: What genre are you sick of?

http://kotaku.com/5052644/what-genre-are-you-sick-of

oooooomonkeys
September 20th, 2008, 11:57
well im sick of FPS for one

WhizzBang
September 20th, 2008, 12:24
I am also sick of First Person Shooters.

brandonheat8
September 20th, 2008, 12:31
i am sick of real time strategies, i cant stand them.

devdj
September 20th, 2008, 13:00
i don't like real time tactics they suck like field commander real time strategies are the real deal

ZAFDeltaForce
September 20th, 2008, 13:47
Turn Based Strategies for me.

gamesquest1
September 20th, 2008, 15:10
well poor fps getting annoying but most annoying thing ever is the pathertic amount of "PARTY" games for wii stick party on anything at all they all exactly the same game 10 minutes of originality per diff game

jetkey885
September 20th, 2008, 15:39
Sick of, FPS. Just too many in too little time. The only two that I actually got into was, GoldenEye 007 (N64) and PerfectDark (N64).

Steely
September 20th, 2008, 15:58
Heh, who didn't think FPS was going to be the most popular answer?

1. FPS - Too much effort being put into one genre... We have enough of them to last a while, unless you only play FPSs...
2. MMORPG - Online PC games that have a dumb fanbase wasting their time. I mean, so many sites have ads for some new MMORPG. I don't get why some people even play these games.
3. gamesquest1 reminded me of all those crappy party games. I believe they're called "Variety". Anyhow, I'm sick of them.

RV2006
September 20th, 2008, 15:58
FPS, MMORPG, and RTS.

But at least some of the underused genres are making a comeback, (point and click ftw!)...

EDIT: Oh and "variety" games, which is the new puzzler for shovelware!

osgeld
September 20th, 2008, 16:45
fps, used to play them all the time, now cant stand them

rts, same as above

mmorpg, spent years playing one, had my fun, hate starting over just to max out in 2 months and it turn into a 3rd person fps, (wow) if i wanted to kill random douches id play an fps, but we covered that already

and most importantly rpg's with man girls, they confuse me, the storyline is over drawn out OMG shoot me NOW, drama crap ... every 3 weeks another soap opera with choose your own path bits n pieces mixed in

davidtube
September 20th, 2008, 17:08
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one sick of FPS. It seems 50% of games are FPS and most of the ones that get big budgets are FPS. I never even liked Doom and I think it's a bad genre to be the leading one. It's just like walking round a maze then pressing your trigger as quickly as you can.

kcajblue
September 20th, 2008, 17:21
wow.
i didnt think the majority would be saying fps.
i dont usually play them that much so im fine with them.

im tired of fighting games.
it gets boring watching my friends only play games like brawl and soul calibur IV.
i personally couldnt care less about those two games and the fighting genre.

goity
September 20th, 2008, 17:24
Western RPGs. The really good ones like Fable are pretty fun, but the rest are tediously boring. Nothing ever happens!

MicroNut
September 20th, 2008, 18:09
Sick of FPS on Consoles only. (waste of time)

agenericperson
September 20th, 2008, 18:30
Music. I hate music games, but I love FPS. I just wish there weren't so many generic FPS's. But it looks like music is the new FPS anyway. I hope everyone is happy now.

inlovewithi
September 20th, 2008, 18:36
I don't play much games, I just follow the business, but a couple of years ago it seemed a lot of people were acting like if you're not blowing someone head of, you're not a real gamer, and basically games like the ones I grew up with weren't actual video games. Megaman X Super Mario World, they're not technically video games. I understand they're just immature kids.

mike_jmg
September 20th, 2008, 18:53
The games I really can't stand and there are a lot of them are the 3d platformers, for some reason I've never liked them, with a few exceptions like Super Mario 64 (best 3d platformer ever made IMO), Secret Agent Clank (I really enjoyed it), Crash of the Titans (was kind of ok). Any other 3d platformer is complete rubbish to me.

I'm kinda sick of FPSs too, because there are too many of them, more than half of the new console games are FPSs, can't they program something else?. On the other hand, i would like to see more FPSs for the PSP cause there are only like 2 franchises, MOH and Coded Arms.

ojdon
September 20th, 2008, 18:54
RPGs - There is too many with medicore storyline that take forever to actually get into the game after ten million hours watching cut scenes that aren't relevant and then the slow paced start.

MMORPG - The fact that they are the only online game that you have to pay for a subscription for annoys me, I know why they have to get people to pay but the fact that some of them aren't that bad and you have to pay for the CD anyway annoys me even more.

TBS - ZZz...zzz...zzzz...zzz (Yeah you get the idea)

goshogun1
September 20th, 2008, 18:54
For some reason I just can't stand RTS. Probably because I suck at them.

darkdex52
September 20th, 2008, 19:22
First of all, I hate those Wii "Party" games, or as someone called them, Variety games.

Second, I really, really, really, REALLY HATE Western RPGs. I love RPG as a genre, but western made are just stupid and always idiotic and always the same.

Baldur's Gate, Bards Tale, Knigts, blablabla. It's actually amazing, how Asians can turn the boring Western RPG into something splendid (FFT, e.t.c.)

John Vattic
September 20th, 2008, 19:55
So far this sounds like you all are sick of the cookie-cutter crap developers put out these days.

And I wonder if it has anything to do with crappy game sales.

I agree with everyone so far.

more games needed in the action-adventure genre.:thumbup:

jamotto
September 20th, 2008, 20:18
Not really sick of any of the genre's but I wouldn't mind if they brought back some of the abandoned genre's.

kcajblue
September 20th, 2008, 20:21
Music. I hate music games, but I love FPS. I just wish there weren't so many generic FPS's. But it looks like music is the new FPS anyway. I hope everyone is happy now.i love music games.
some of them are actually challenging.
i guess i like them because i play intruments.

Aryn
September 20th, 2008, 22:46
Do movie tie in games count?

grin.ch
September 20th, 2008, 22:58
I'm not sick of a particular genre per se, but I'm sick and effing tired of Bleach games. I won't stand to see one more. And I'm sick of Bleach PSP themes as well. D: D:

STOP. No, srsly.

Triv1um
September 20th, 2008, 23:03
FPS.

To much shit.

____anders____
September 20th, 2008, 23:55
anything that involve strategy.. i always hated strategy games more than any other genre (normal genres, not those new and weird ones..).

games should be like to just jump in and kill those guys and watch the cutscenes, cutscenes are cool, sometimes :D
RPG games are very fun, and some more genres but RPG is the genre for me :)

Eviltaco64
September 21st, 2008, 00:59
FPSes, hands down. I like a select few (Goldeneye, Halo series, Call of Duty series, Half-Life series), but there's so many shitty ones to make me sick of them.
Generic RPGs... While I am sick of them, they are usually colorful :p
Poor-ass party games that appeal to housewives and elementary school children.
Of course, there are some good party games out there like Mario Party.

agenericperson
September 21st, 2008, 02:05
i love music games.
some of them are actually challenging.
i guess i like them because i play intruments.

I play instruments too. It must be something else. It's not that I hate music. I love music. I just don't understand the fun or the challenge behind most music games. It's a genre I've tried to like. Most people I know like it. Maybe, I missing that particular part of my brain.

unicorn111
September 21st, 2008, 02:29
i love this

http://rewards1offerhelp.blogspot.com/

fg-54
September 21st, 2008, 02:49
any fifa, madden ect game.

darkriku2000
September 21st, 2008, 05:41
pay to play mmo's

I mean, they're fun, just not fun enough to pay for every month

barney1972
September 21st, 2008, 10:57
another vote for FPS, defo ran their course now, just too much crud nowadays, churning them out without adding to the genre

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
September 21st, 2008, 11:03
I play instruments too. It must be something else. It's not that I hate music. I love music. I just don't understand the fun or the challenge behind most music games. It's a genre I've tried to like. Most people I know like it. Maybe, I missing that particular part of my brain.

you ever played DJ max, it's amazing.:thumbup:

Well i'm not really sick of any gerne except MMORPGs,
firstly most of them you need to pay monthy and secondly i just can't stand constantly grinding and repeating the same thing over nd over again!!:mad:

Sketchy
September 21st, 2008, 11:21
RPGs - There is too many with medicore storyline that take forever to actually get into the game after ten million hours watching cut scenes that aren't relevant

Ahem! Mass Effect..medicore storyline??? :rofl:

Now as an FPS lover, I will say this I'm sick of crap FPSs and/or sequels. I.E Area 51 on Ps2, best FPS on the console IMO. The sequel? Blacksite on 360, which was utter bull in comparison.

Also Perfect Dark on N64 was kick ass, Perfect dark Zero? crap again. (Also was it me or was everything sooo...shiny in that game).

I can't actually think of any genre that i particually detest, at the end of the day, if im not interested in a certian genre I'll still play a demo just to say I tried it.

Racing games usually aren't my thing, however Pure is awesome!

Peace

240-185
September 21st, 2008, 15:56
I'm sick of platform games.
Sick of tedious cameras (in 3D games), or sick of uninteresting plot (2D games).

loungelizard
September 21st, 2008, 19:00
I loved Ghost recon on the PS2 for its realism.

I think that the FPS's that should be banned are the ones that you can take more than one head shot and still be alive. :eek:

I'm getting bored of seeing tetris clones, and WHY do girlfriends get into them so much?????????? they could be playing other stuff like hotel dusk, nearest thing to a book ;)

Xiofire
September 21st, 2008, 20:00
Turn based RPG's.
They annoy me so much, I prefer to attack in real time, not go through menu's and subsystems just to hit them with my weapon.

That, and shovelware FPS's.

-Xiofire

NovaKane
September 21st, 2008, 23:20
Death to RPGs and First Person Shooters! OMG, they're so over rated...

pibs
September 22nd, 2008, 04:19
FPS yet I keep buying and playing them.... hah

XDelusion
September 22nd, 2008, 09:59
The Bratz and Barbie Franchise. Also Cuddly Cartoon versions of classic games such as Castlevania.

geise69
September 23rd, 2008, 13:16
I still like "a few" FPS games, but I do wish WW2 military type FPS games would die. Game genres I wish would come back would have to be arcade shooters (vertical and horizontal) and beat em ups. I miss playing games like Turtles In Time, Streats of Rage series, Radiant Silverun, Dodonpachi, Simpsons Arcade, Final Fight, Battle Garregga, Guardian Heros. The list could go on and on. They were never the most original games except maybe Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heros, but these are games that still to this day I will never get sick of playing.