PDA

View Full Version : WiiDoom 0.3 to be released this weekend

wraggster
September 20th, 2008, 16:31
Steve Corey has posted some more news about his port of Doom for the Wii:

I'm going to release WiiDoom 0.3 this weekend. Here's the list of changes:

Saving/Loading works (using Nintendo-style save slots)
Automap works (panning, zooming, and follow mode)
Boot.dol distributed instead of Boot.elf (much smaller file)

That's all..... OH WAIT! I just remembered, I was about to call it a day, until Scramble suggested I a way of adding preliminary support for PWADs. I tried it, and it worked. Here's the deatils:

One PWAD file is supported at a time. It MUST be named pwad.wad, and it MUST be placed in the "prboom" directory on the SD card. If you do that, it will be loaded. Like I said, this is preliminary support, until I get a full WAD selection screen for IWADs and PWADs.

BIG thanks to Scramble for suggesting this!

http://wiidevelopment.blogspot.com/2008/09/wiidoom-03-to-be-released-this-weekend.html

Sin-07
September 21st, 2008, 00:32
:thumbup:

But WiiDoom 0.2 does'nt play game music :confused:.

hnsolo77
September 21st, 2008, 04:42
:thumbup:

But WiiDoom 0.2 does'nt play game music :confused:.

that's due to Dooms music being in the .mus format, essentially its a further compressed midi file, a file that the wii cant render on its own, as far as i know, however it may be possible that the engine may have code added to it at a later time that allows it to read a different media format to play music that way, such as using the music pack for the Doomsday/JDoom/Risen3D engines

Nintendo Maniac 64
September 21st, 2008, 05:24
Wiidoom is a port of Prboom, and Prboom on the PC can play the doom music just fine. That part of the code probably just hasn't been ported yet.

kevenz
September 21st, 2008, 16:28
Doom without music must be boring, that's like the main reason why I play :p

Sir_Voe
September 21st, 2008, 21:31
It's out: http://code.google.com/p/wiidoom/downloads/list

hnsolo77
September 23rd, 2008, 23:17
Wiidoom is a port of Prboom, and Prboom on the PC can play the doom music just fine. That part of the code probably just hasn't been ported yet.

any soundcard that supports midi would play the music, as far as i know though the wii's card does not support midi

if the code can be changed to use wav files to play the music then a music pack could be made that way

that or it could just gain a decent soundfont thats low in file size and emulate that, but im not that great of a coder and i have no idea if thats possible