PDA

View Full Version : QOTD: Do You Still Play the Wii?

wraggster
September 20th, 2008, 22:15
In just a few weeks, we can almost guarantee that the wires will be filled with one story again: Wii shortages. It should come as no surprise—Nintendo has redistributed hardware/games like Wii Fit to Europe and elsewhere to avoid the weak dollar. And at the same time, the Wii is still the most sought-after console today.

Yet, in my 3 months since moving, I've unpacked every part of my home theater system except for the Wii. And I can't say I miss it. So to those of you with Wiis in the audience, I want to know...

http://gizmodo.com/5052690/qotd-do-you-still-play-the-wii

mcdougall57
September 20th, 2008, 22:49
I finished the games I bought it for:- Zelda, Mario galaxy, Metroid 3 and smash bros. So No. But I do feel the urge to play zelda through again.

____anders____
September 20th, 2008, 23:49
i hadn't played for a few weeks until i got Star Wars, it's really fun and cool :D

KristenBaldousor
September 21st, 2008, 00:59
i hadn't played for a few weeks until i got Star Wars, it's really fun and cool :D

ditto, force unleashed was awesome!!!! But my wrist hurts pretty bad, xDDDDDD

Still excellent game.

I also play Mario Kart Wii from time to time, online play is pretty neat also. Homebrew is pretty good to.

So yes, i play my Wii more than my PS3, which I use mostly for media play, xDDDDD

Eviltaco64
September 21st, 2008, 01:19
I'm slightly disappointed in Nintendo for releasing the Wii.
It's technologically inferior to the competing consoles. This suprises me because Nintendo has usually released more powerful hardware then its competitors (SNES, N64, Gamecube to an extent). Now they give their hardcore fans 4 games to live off of and the rest of the Wii library is composed of Gamecube ports with "super fun Wii controls" or shit.
As for the Wii having a good homebrew scene, I think it could. Still, there's nothing the Wii can do in the homebrew world that the original Xbox can't (even if the vast majority of it's homebrew was made with a leaked Official SDK). For me, the only difference is $200!

I still have faith in Nintendo. I'm sure they've heard the complaints of their fans and will probably vastly improve the hardware and have Wii 2 (Gamecube 3?) be more than just a gimmick with the Nintendo name printed on the console.

Finally, to get one thing straight, I'm no graphics whore. Nintendo obviously pushed the Wii's limits with games like Galaxy and Brawl, it's just that for me Nintendo has always been about quality, not just quality software, but quality hardware as well, not something that would be advanced for 2002.

With that said, here's a list of Wii games I'd buy myself:
Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Strikers Charged, Mario Kart Wii, No More Heroes, and Madworld.

Zelda and Resident Evil 4 are already on Gamecube ;)

agenericperson
September 21st, 2008, 01:39
I only play it for homebrew now. For that reason alone, I considered selling it. And for that reason alone I decided to keep it. But I'm still not sure I like my decision. The more I think on it, it seems I might be better off selling it and putting a nice computer by the TV; that would at least have much more use. I still feel kinda dumb for having a $250 emulator with expensive controllers. I just felt that was more to the Wii.

jrsmaster411
September 21st, 2008, 02:07
I haven't played it in months

fg-54
September 21st, 2008, 02:42
last time i played my wii was to review a game for it, other then that, i almost never touch it :(

KristenBaldousor
September 21st, 2008, 02:45
I'm slightly disappointed in Nintendo for releasing the Wii.
It's technologically inferior to the competing consoles. This suprises me because Nintendo has usually released more powerful hardware then its competitors (SNES, N64, Gamecube to an extent). Now they give their hardcore fans 4 games to live off of and the rest of the Wii library is composed of Gamecube ports with "super fun Wii controls" or shit.

And look what happened, they lost to their weakest rival, PSX was weaker than N64 and PS2 was the weaker console of the past generation and looks, its still selling.

Now thing have turned around, PS3 is the most powerfull console out there and is losing, while the Wii... well, we all know how the Wii is doing on sales, same for the DS, being weaker than the PSP. Whats is selling is the innovation they brought to the market of videogames, the new way of gameplay.

As for the Wii having a good homebrew scene, I think it could. Still, there's nothing the Wii can do in the homebrew world that the original Xbox can't (even if the vast majority of it's homebrew was made with a leaked Official SDK). For me, the only difference is $200!

I'm curious, what do you expect to see on the Wii Scene??? As i'm concerned, XBOX Scene didn't have a game development engine like someone around here is working on

Demonic_Cr0w
September 21st, 2008, 03:33
I've just been playing megaman 1 on it and I've turned it into my DVD player. (I don't like switching chords)

Eviltaco64
September 21st, 2008, 03:34
And look what happened, they lost to their weakest rival, PSX was weaker than N64 and PS2 was the weaker console of the past generation and looks, its still selling.

Now thing have turned around, PS3 is the most powerfull console out there and is losing, while the Wii... well, we all know how the Wii is doing on sales, same for the DS, being weaker than the PSP. Whats is selling is the innovation they brought to the market of videogames, the new way of gameplay.

So something has to have inferior hardware to be popular? It's all about what's there first and how easy it is to develop for. N64 used carts, which made it more difficult for programmers to utilize it's hardware due to a lack of space, so they jumped boat to the Playstation (the same thing happened with Saturn with a lot of developers as well).
Since the Playstation was immensely popular as the PS2 was announced, obviously most of the PS1 customers wanted a new PS2. It played DVDs without any add-ons and by 2001 (around a month or so before Xbox and The Cube were released) had a damn good lineup of games. And there's quite a difference between PS2 and Xbox and Wii and PS3 if you ask me. PS2 handled the same stuff Xbox did with more lag and not as good graphics, but it was still on level with the rest of the consoles, not an entire generation behind it's rivals.

Really, what I'm trying to say here is that it's up to the company making the console to make it developer-friendly, or that unfriendly console could be a curse. As for innovation, I honestly would rather have standard controls. I do like the Wiimote with some games. I'm not really big on using a stylus while playing a video game.

And I'm disappointed in Nintendo because they really switched from satisfying the hardcore Ninty fanboy over to the stereotypical "Californian family of four" type, and the fact that it's the best selling console and that Gamecube still has much better 3rd-party games when it was a 3rd place console.

I'm curious, what do you expect to see on the Wii Scene??? As i'm concerned, XBOX Scene didn't have a game development engine like someone around here is working on

The Wii has specifications similar to that of the Xbox's, with some more ram. I think that we'd definitely see better Nintendo 64 emulation on the Wii, but as of now, Xbox is still the homebrew king. All I have to recommend is XBMC, MedafenX NES, ZSNEXBOX, NeoGenesis (Gen, SCD, 32X), Surreal, FBA-XXX Pro, and CPX3.

The Wii will have a scene, no doubt, but there really won't be anything I will freak over. Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 could really do a lot more if they ever got hacked.

kevenz
September 21st, 2008, 04:49
I was going to sell my wii but I discovered the homebrew and nostalgia is the only reason to keep it for me :P

Nintendo Maniac 64
September 21st, 2008, 05:37
Quake homebrew on the Wii - 'nuff said.

Also Doom will soon join that, but it's still very much a WIP.

Even though I have both of those on my PC AND my DS, wiimote aiming still is that much more of a blast. (pun?)

EDIT: Oh, and non-homebrew wise, RE4 is AWESOME. I didn't have it on the GCN... (didn't think I'd really be into it). Tried using the classic controller to see how it worked on the GCN, and I'm not really a fan of the laser-sight aiming.

kurtless
September 21st, 2008, 05:57
I use it to play emulators and surf the internet. I like Zelda TP a lot, and I want to play through it again. Also, I use it for a Gamecube now too(Skies of Arcadia WOOT). I use it a lot for Homebrew though, more then the actually things the system was intended for. Homebrew just makes a system better :P Come on PSX and DC emulators! Daddy wants to play Jet Grind and Bust a groove 2!

I still love Excite Truck too (and Galaxy of course), jammin to your Mp3's while going really fast is a great way to spend some time. Buying Virtual console stuff, and Wiiware things is a nice addition (I bought starfox 64 and Paper Mario,Kirby's adventure, Gunstar heroes, and Super mario brothers.)

RV2006
September 21st, 2008, 07:21
I admit I had a quiet period with the wii, but now I've got back into smash bros. and bomberman blast for the wii is awesome!
(Now only if I could find a freind who actually bought it, so I could have a match...)

watupgroupie
September 21st, 2008, 07:22
Everyone keeps saying that the Wii is better because it sells better, this isn't really true in all cases. For me, I bought it because everyone else was and thought it would be lots of fun. I'm mistaken and its not fun for me at all, and I have like 10 friends who feel exzactly the same, adding to the fact that in a lot of cases the wii is like an epidemic. I have had my 360 for like 2 years now and I've probably played it about 40+ more hours than my wii, because its fun and the wii isn't to me. But I still fall into this catagory of people who bought the wii. This doesn't mean those people are happy customers, so stop speaking for everyone as a whole and speak for yourself. Just my oppinion :P

nambit
September 21st, 2008, 07:56
Yeah, I still play it. In fact, I use it for the Gamecube
mode a lot.

I just finished Eternal Darkness fully (finished all 3 artifacts)
and I'm looking into playing either Twin Snakes, FFCC,
or the original Metroid Prime on it. The Wii has allowed
me to re-visit my cube games again and I'm loving it.

Of course, I'm also playing the VC and WiiWare stuff,
and megaman is just fantastic right now. The old NES
games are great.

In terms of disc-based wii-games, I am not playing them
as much, but not because they're bad or anything. I
just find I'm more itching to play shorter games like
VC/Wiiware, and when it comes to longer games, I
have a nice GC library which I want to re-visit. It seems
the VC retro goodness makes me also want to re-visit
gamecube games. Heck, I'm even thinking of giving
the awesome Paper Mario - 1000 year door another
go at it. :)

Auriman1
September 21st, 2008, 08:00
I've enjoyed several of the ports with "gimmick" controls, including Okami and Resident Evil 4, and am thoroughly convinced I enjoyed them more on the Wii than I would on other systems (Having said that, I had played RE4 on the PS2 beforehand, it wasn't as satisfying aiming with the control stick.)

Having basically only used the PSP and PC for homebrew and emulators, I also enjoy playing Genesis, SNES, and NES games through THC. I even took my genuine Genesis and SNES out of the setup to save space and power in my new apartment, since it played just as well as the real deal. It's convenient that the Wii replaced the GCN, as well.

I'm also always ready for a game of Brawl or Mario Kart Wii with my friends, if I can ever get a hold of them... (they're not in the same area anymore)

I'd go on, but I'll just leave it at I'm satisfied with my purchase.

Jay6
September 21st, 2008, 08:45
Of course I still play the Wii.
I play it for the VC games, the WiiWare games (Megaman 9 is coming this Monday! Yay!), the Homebrew Channel (mainly for emulation), Mario Kart Wii online, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl online. There are other games that I have for the Wii that I haven't really touched in a long time, and may get to them eventually. I also still play GCN games on the Wii.
I'm mainly playing my PS2 now. I REALLY want to get a 360 for Tales of Vesperia, and I don't really know what other games to get for it.

barney1972
September 21st, 2008, 09:48
i havent played it for a while but looking to grab resi 4 on the gamecube so once i do it will be late nights in front of the wii again

____anders____
September 21st, 2008, 13:15
ditto, force unleashed was awesome!!!! But my wrist hurts pretty bad, xDDDDDD

Still excellent game.

I also play Mario Kart Wii from time to time, online play is pretty neat also. Homebrew is pretty good to.

So yes, i play my Wii more than my PS3, which I use mostly for media play, xDDDDD

yeah, star wars rocks, i like that kind of games.
doing cool stuf that's not possible IRL, like the force heehhe, force push is my favourite :p

mario kart is very fun too, all mario games are fun except those weird games like doctor mario or whatever the name is, regular games with mario in them.. those suck..

EDIT: yea it kinda hurt alittle in the arm if you abuse the lightsaber and force push :p
like tennis in wii sports when you just got the wii.. damn my arm and shoulder hurt like hell, worse than playing badminton for several hours hehe
but now i'm sitting on a chair and waving my wrist, much more comfitable xD

feddon
September 21st, 2008, 13:40
On my own i never play my wii any more, to be honest once i finished a handful of games that came out in its first year or so i only ever play it to try out latest homebrew. Also i bought a PS3 couple of months ago and added the final nail to my wii playing coffin. I can grab second hand PS3 games from £8-£20. I can barely get any second hand wii stuff for that. Got the darkness on ps3 for £7, not brilliant gamebut entertaining enoughfor £7.

WhizzBang
September 21st, 2008, 15:08
The Wii is the most used games machine in my house while the XBox 360 is boxed and in the loft waiting for the new firmware to come out when I will give it a try again.

goshogun1
September 21st, 2008, 18:57
As far as actual wii games (which I own like 12), I haven't really been playing anything lately, except wii-fit every other day. :o I have been using the wii to play home-brew emulators like snes, genesis, etc. Also, Paper Mario VC is sucking up a lot of my game-time.
But the real use the wii has been been for me is for playing Gamecube games. Over the years I have pretty much collected every good game for the GC. And because I have an HDTV now, I can actually use the progressive scan option most GC games have. Almost done with Baten Kaitos I, and I must say I am forever spoiled by the Graphics. Considering it came out in like 2003 that says a lot. If you missed the GC gen, you missed some really awesome games!
Also, not even crossing fingers on a sega DC emu considering you can buy one used for like <$20.
It's really funny, that I am not even using the Wii for playing Wii games.