PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Max For Psp

wraggster
December 19th, 2005, 17:43
Divineo (http://www.divineo.com/php/affstart.php?affcode=arboretum) have gave me some great news about a new Accessory for the PSP from Datel, heres the full lowdown on this new device for the PSP:

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/fr-psp-dwm-big.jpg

<blockquote>At last, you can connect your PSP to the internet easily, cheaply and WIRELESSLY! With WiFi MAX, a whole world of online gaming is opened, and you can also manage your files and surf the net from almost anywhere in the house.

WiFi MAX for PSP couldn't be simpler to use. Just plug your USB WiFi dongle into your internet-enabled PC to create a Wireless Access Point. You can then connect to the internet and play online-enabled multiplayer games with PSP gamers from all over the world. Just the thing if you don't have a wireless router! Best of all, WiFi MAX supports up to five ‘local' PSP gamers at a time, so you and your mates can all play online at once!

As well as multiplayer games, WiFi MAX also lets you organise your media files and download them to your PC using our exclusive MAX Media Server software. Transfer MP3s, images and video files from your PC to your PSP from anywhere that's within range of your new WiFi network. As it operates on the Wireless G standard, it's five times faster than an ordinary WiFi connection, and if you use our USB cable and dongle stand (supplied), you can position your dongle to maximise your effective WiFi range.

If you have other WiFi-enabled devices capable of using the internet, such as laptops or PDAs, you can take them online with WiFi MAX too. It's the ultimate device for internet surfing without a WiFi router! </blockquote>

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/add1fr-psp-dwm.jpg

Features:

- Internet gaming through any internet-enabled PC.
- No cables necessary – make a wireless connection.
- Organise your files, and convert videos into a PSP-friendly format.
- Five times faster than standard WiFi.
- Suppled with software CD and WiFi dongle, and also a USB cable and stand for optimal positioning.

Awesome news and more as PSP News finds out more ;)

Hevyduty
December 19th, 2005, 18:13
Okay, so this is basically like the WiFi dongle Nintendo sells for the DS, but this is aimed at the PSP crowd. Nothing wrong with that really. It all depends on:

A. How well it works.
B. How much it costs.
C. What kinds of software it comes with.

Based on those three things, it might be a decent package for those with broadband Interent but no WiFi home network.

Xarius
December 19th, 2005, 20:03
It's from Divneo. It won't be under $70.

chronoswing
December 19th, 2005, 20:14
lol well if thats the case your better off buying a wireless router for that much money. $10 says this thing doesn't reach more than 20-30 feet anyways.

MaxSMoke
December 19th, 2005, 22:33
The only people this product could possibly appeal to are those people that have Broadband but use weird methods to connect to their home network through their existing router, like HPA or Powerline networking. And, of course, that 1 in 1000 guy that actually has strung Ethernet cable through their entire house. Even then, the Ethernet guy could replace his wired router with wireless, as could any of the people using those oddball networking systems. I just bought a Dlink wireless router for a friend at Target (CA, USA) for $30.

Bringing the connection through the computer, instead of through a router is just seems mind-booglingly dumb. It's not like you need to give Windows yet ANOTHER reason to crash.

Tomppa
December 20th, 2005, 11:46
...And, of course, that 1 in 1000 guy that actually has strung Ethernet cable through their entire house...

Looking right at him :D But I agree with you in many ways, still, if you happen to only one pc in example, this might be handy if it's well priced or your a noob.

matt3224
December 20th, 2005, 22:42
i have looked on amazon uk and its on sale for £26.99. but appaerently you can get them from dixens for like £15 so its all good.

HailRedskins
December 21st, 2005, 05:48
The only people this product could possibly appeal to are those people that have Broadband but use weird methods to connect to their home network through their existing router, like HPA or Powerline networking. And, of course, that 1 in 1000 guy that actually has strung Ethernet cable through their entire house. Even then, the Ethernet guy could replace his wired router with wireless, as could any of the people using those oddball networking systems. I just bought a Dlink wireless router for a friend at Target (CA, USA) for $30.

Bringing the connection through the computer, instead of through a router is just seems mind-booglingly dumb. It's not like you need to give Windows yet ANOTHER reason to crash.

My work's wireless network uses LEAP authentication which can't be done on a PSP. And also the PSP's wifi reception is weaker than the wifi adapter on my laptop's... so when i'm "wandering" around other networks this makes things easier. I've tried connecting another wifi adapter and using Internet Connection Sharing, but have had absolutely no success. Would I pay $70 for this tho? hell no. $30 tops. all it is is a wifi adapter. How it's 5 times faster than regular 802.11g is a bit deceptive. The direct connection between the PSP and the PC maybe be 5 times faster than the PSP to a router. but it's all moot as the speed bottle necks at the modem (typically 3~4mbs at best i'd say) but whatever.

$30 or so and i'm in.

hades1313
December 1st, 2006, 05:56
i bought this and it works just fine works with my psp / ds and wii and the software is handy and its so small its easy to take with you to frineds house ect i payed $40 for it and i can take my psp to the house next door and still use the internet just fine :thumbup: