PDA

View Full Version : Snes9xGX v005 -Snes Emulator for the Nintendo Gamecube and Nintendo Wii

wraggster
September 23rd, 2008, 16:16
michniewski (http://code.google.com/p/snes9x-gx/) has updated the Snes Emulator for the Nintendo Gamecube and Nintendo Wii, heres the details:

A Super Nintendo emulator based on Snes9x, ported to the Wii and GameCube. The code is a continuation of Softdev and Crunchy2's efforts, and uses libogc and devkitppc.

Features
Based on Snes9x 1.5 - superior ROM compatibility
Wiimote, Nunchuk, Classic, and Gamecube controller support
SNES Superscope, Mouse, Justifier support
Cheat support
Auto Load/Save Game Snapshots and SRAM
Custom controller configurations
SD, USB, DVD, SMB, GC Memory Card, and Zip support
Autodetect PAL/NTSC
16:9 widescreen support
Open Source!

[What's New 005]

michniewski
- added: Superscope/mouse/justifier support, with Wii remote
- added: 3 render modes - Original, Filtered, Unfiltered
- added: widescreen compensation option
- added: DVD support on the Wii
- changed: zoom - limited range, added reset zoom option

Tantric
- added: now uses SNES 1.51 core (thanks to eke-eke for help with this)
- added: cheats menu! Loads .CHT file from /snes9x/cheats folder,
.CHT file name must match file name of ROM
- added: load/save preference selector. ROM, SRAM, Freeze, and preferences
are saved/loaded according to these
- added: preliminary Windows file share loading/saving (SMB) support on Wii:
You can input your network settings into snes9xGX.xml, or edit
s9xconfig.cpp from the source code and compile.
- added: 'Auto' settings for save/load - attempts to automatically determine
your load/save device(s) - SD, USB, Memory Card, DVD, SMB
- added: ROM Information page
- added: Game Menu - all game-specific options are here now:
SRAM save/load, Snapshot save/load, game reload, etc
- added: Credits page
- fixed: sd gecko works now
- fixed: full USB support
- changed: menu structure
- changed: preferences are now loaded and saved in XML format. You can open
snes9xGX.xml edit all settings, including some not available within
the program
- changed: if Home button is pressed when a game is running, Game Menu pops up
- changed: if preferences can't be loaded at the start and/or are reset,
preferences menu pops up - remove to save your preferences!
- changed: SRAM load - game reloaded automatically after loading SRAM

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

$bro$
September 23rd, 2008, 17:50
nice one so will mario paint be playable now?

chocopie69
September 23rd, 2008, 18:55
Snes9xGX v005 cannot see the frame rate.

frame rate show is ON.

WizardOfOdd
September 23rd, 2008, 19:02
Looking forward to trying this with Cannon Fodder and Lemmings 2!!

(Lemmings 1 had no mouse support on the SNES).

wraggster
September 23rd, 2008, 21:49
cannon fodder, one of my fave games, it badly needs a next gen version :)

kevenz
September 23rd, 2008, 23:32
this is great! gonna try that right now.

Gamemaster1379
September 23rd, 2008, 23:35
I'm a bit confused on how to setup .cht files. I understand once they're made that the extension is removed and changed to .cht, but as far as actually setting them up, I'm confused....

I've made an attempt at

[codename]
[code]

[codename]
[code]

[codename]
[code]

Doesn't seem to be working. ^_^;

panmusic
September 24th, 2008, 10:47
Sorry for the silly question but I can't find what is the difference between 'Save SRAM' and 'save Snapshot'.
Are there any differences between them?

c4105
September 24th, 2008, 11:19
Sorry for the silly question but I can't find what is the difference between 'Save SRAM' and 'save Snapshot'.
Are there any differences between them?

SRAM emulates how the original game would save to its cartridge. ie. Zelda games let you save in dungeons, but when you resume your game, you're at the entrance.

A Snapshot (AKA State) is a dump of the emulated console's memory. You can save anywhere. ie. Just before a tricky jump, if you mess up - reload the Snapshot and you'll be exactly where you were when you saved.

Hope that makes sense.

middle man
September 24th, 2008, 15:51
This is awesome, what i've been waiting for.

the scope works great. tested with super scope 6 and yoshi's safari. much better cursor than other emulators i've tried.

the mouse still needs some work though. its a little off in mario paint but usable. cannon fodder however is not. the configuration is out and seems to vary depending on the level (size, and your position). i hope this gets resolved soon, i've got a taste for it now. been looking forward to cannon fodder for a while.

WizardOfOdd
September 25th, 2008, 13:11
Yeah, just came to post about the mouse support. It's not working so great at the moment, on account of the dot for the WiiMote not matching up with the onscreen game cursor itself. For example, in Cannon Fodder, you can't move the cursor to the edge of the screen because the actual area the WiiMote is pointing to has gone off the edge. Make sense? Lol. Not explaining it very well. Needs some sort of way to calibrate it properly.

Excellent build of the emulator though, I've been using the nonGX version for a while, but I really like this one.

EDIT : Mouse issues aside though, it is TREMENDOUS fun playing Cannon Fodder with the WiiMote for the little bit I did manage to do. Works very well. Just needs to sync up properly with what's happening on the screen. I wish they would release an official disc version of the game for Wii with updated graphics (although not too much!) and Wiimote support!

Grey Acumen
September 25th, 2008, 14:41
The zapper support is perfect, in some ways almost too perfect, cause the wii pointer just makes aiming SO easy. It'd be nice if the emulator gave you a calibration option to shoot at the 4 corners of the screen and then let you turn off the wii pointer display so you could free aim. Otherwise I haven't had ANY issues with the zapper at all, and its certainly more comfortable than the freaking superscope. Just make sure you set Zapper mode to the proper player port, and you're good to go.

Now, the mouse support needs work. Either the game needs a way for you to manually suspend the game and line the wiimote pointer up with the in game mouse, or you need to have the emulator recognize when the game is busy performing an action that halts mouse motion so it won't register pointer movement during that time (this is what typically throws the alignment off), or you need to be able to use the dpad or joystick on the nunchuk to make adjustments to the alingment on the fly, or all of the above.
Currently, if your wiimote pointer isn't lined up with the in game mouse, you need to move your pointer to the far edge of the screen. The in game mouse pointer won't go off the edge, and so your wiimote pointer will be able to MOSTLY catch up to where the in game mouse pointer is. You can still end up a little bit not quite aligned.

So basically, the zapper is excellent, but there is still room for improvement, the mouse NEEDS work, but it's still playable, provided you're careful.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 25th, 2008, 19:06
These emus on the wii are still light years behind their xbox equivalents..And what they really need is texture filters (SAI/super eagle etc) as time hasnt really been kind to allot of these games when blown up and played on a 42" or larger screen..

Vernonjr
September 25th, 2008, 23:05
What kind of front end does this have? Is it pretty easy on the eye, and easy to navigate?? I haven't tried an updated emulator in a number of months.

And while the xbox equivalents are superior they lack in one department big time, and thats controls. I have my xbox modded, and love everything about all the emulators except for the controller. The classic controller is the worlds best retro controller hands down (you can even get the snes remakes released in japan!)

commish61
September 25th, 2008, 23:17
One thing I'd like to make a suggestion for a later version, can you make it to where you can make 2 players have wii scopes. Is it possible. Also if it is already in there can you explain how to do it, great job with the wii scope.

middle man
September 26th, 2008, 01:08
(you can even get the snes remakes released in japan!)

I missed these some how. thanks for mentioning that. i was going to buy a classic controller but just ordered my SNES controller off ebay. I take it that will work with my pal wiimote, does anyone know?

rijracer
September 30th, 2008, 19:06
awesome