PDA

View Full Version : Import gamer weighing my options...

Fatman541
September 23rd, 2008, 22:08
Hello all, I'm new here to the dcemu forums although I've been using dcemu to download homebrew and to get homebrew news for a very long time. Just never got around to using the forums. I currently havea wii that i received on launch (matched up that serial number to a list of serials and determined its either dms or d2a, but haven't opened it up to check yet.) Anyways I'm currently running firmware 3.2 and am using the freeloader to load my import games. But as many of you know the newest update (3.3) disables the freeloader. Now, as in the past i betcha nintendo's going to require this new firmware update on upcoming games in order for it to play properly (sneaky!). I heard that gecko region free can be booted from the homebrew channel (hbc) (and hbc can be installed using the twilight hack). I know I'm eventually going to have to update to 3.3 or higher to play newer games. Now i heard gecko region free works with 3.3. Now my biggest question is does the gecko region free software block the automatic updates some games contain like the freeloader does? The freeloader does this because if you install an update for the wrong region you can brick your wii. If anyone knows that would be greatly appreciated. Also is hbc and gecko hard to install?

Now i've also heard of a fairly new modchip called the D2lite (www.d2lite.com) which lets you boot original import games directly (without swapping). Its dvd updateable which is good, so if nintendo comes out with new protections they can't be dealt with. Its only a 5 wire install on my drive version (assuming i'm right about which drive I have). But my question here is does the D2lite block the automatic updates as well. I'm afraid of bricking my wii and I'm not sure what method I should use.

The software root (using hbc and gecko) seems less complicated but I think it will be easier for nintendo to fix a software "hack" then a hardware "hack." well if anyone can answer my questions that would be greatly appreciated and let me know what methods you're using to boot imports.

Thanks,
Chris