PDA

View Full Version : Calisto V0.1 (Awesome Homebrew Game Release)

wraggster
December 22nd, 2005, 21:22
Calisto (http://fraglab.at/callisto) has finally been released, now you can play one of the very best homebrew games for the PSP, heres the info from the official site:

Callisto is a retro style side-scrolling space shooter. You are a bounty hunter travelling through hostile planets searching for intergalactic criminals.

Team:
weak ... code
pimpot ... gfx
rmedtx ... additional gfx
makrospex ... sound fx
klesk ... assistance

Menu music theme by asobeat.
Background music by A P Bolan.

Callisto is being developed using the open source pspsdk.

Changelog:

v0.1
- initial release

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/calisto4.JPG

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/callisto2.JPG

Thanks to Rmedtx who let me know of the news in this forum topic --> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15725

Download from the official site or the link above :), tell us what you think, btw the download is a rather hefty 17Meg for those on 56k ;)

a great release for the PSP Scene

jetkey885
December 22nd, 2005, 22:33
okay so i downloaded this game, installed and ran it, when it got to the loading screen it froze then crashed and my psp shutdown itself. boot up my psp again and rerun the program, finially work. played a few times got bored then deleted off my MS....yeahhhhhhh....go me.

soft on demand
December 22nd, 2005, 23:32
You can't expect top quality gameplay from a home developed game. What matters is the work put into this project. The developers behind Calisto are very talented, you can see that by just taking a closer look at the amazing sprites and backgrounds - which can be compared with the ones in comercial shooters by Arika and Psikyo. The gameplay may differ, but it's one heck of a project, and that weighs up any bad comment on variety in this game.

I find this game really inspiring to play just becouse of the fact that it's has the artistic and compelling design, the "feel" of a genuinely crafted game (which is unusual when it comes to home developed games). Show respect to such enthusiasm, and have in mind that work takes time away from man, and that some guys apparently give shit about that - by giving us great releases.

I thank thee, developers of Calisto (and the rest of the home brew scene) :cool:

xuphorz
December 22nd, 2005, 23:49
well, homebrew games aren't being budgetted, but this one has GREAT graphics for homebrew

T-2000
December 23rd, 2005, 01:04
i thought this game was very good, nice speed, great sound, and great effects, sprites need to be a little smaller not your ship or the boss just ingame, that spider boss is cool.. keep it up.. :)

THE ANSWER
December 23rd, 2005, 02:05
sorry I cant get it to work it freezes at the title screen and my psp reboots :(

I really wanted to try this game

DrSarcasmo
December 23rd, 2005, 08:30
It doesn't work on my 2.0 Fanjita Eboot machine. On the title screen the loading bar goes to 90%, then it hangs and reboots the PSP. Shame really, as I know the guys worked hard on this...Well, maybe Fanjita can come up with a solution...

groovemaster303
December 23rd, 2005, 09:41
the spider boss is superb i must admit
and it seems a little difficult for a first level boss
still i think the callisto graphics engine is pretty wicked
imagine a castlevania type game with this
would be pretty wicked i reckon.

indstr
December 23rd, 2005, 14:02
played this for a while last night, i am VERY impressed. the graphics are great, i'd compare it to the classic game Tyrian for PC. the 3d objects look great (asteroids, mines, the 1st level boss). the music is really pumping. overall feel is like a commercial game, doesn't feel like a homebrew.

the only thing that sucks is the dpad + autofire bug... which is a pretty big deal i think. it's either: my left hand hurts from using the analog nub, or my right hand hurts from mashing buttons to fire :(

KunoNoOni
December 24th, 2005, 06:45
Hmm, well I just downloaded the game, installed it on the PSP and ran it. I get the title screen and goto the options and max out music and sound. click start and title screen comes up, gets to about 90% then freezes. psp does not reboot so I shut it down. turn psp back on and repeat process. get to title screen and again at 90% it freezes. so I shutoff the psp and then turn it back on. load the game and this time I skip maxing out the sound and music and just start the game with the defaults. I get to 90%, it freezes but this time I get an error message.

"could not open map background file: ms0:/PSP/GAME/callisto/data/maps/0/background.map error while loading map"

EDIT: Ok I checked and I don't seem to have this background.map file. redownloading the file to see if it was there to begin with.

EDIT2: Well it seems somehow when I copied the files over the 4 files in the 0 directory didn't get copied. I copied them over and the game now works :) WOW its totally awesome!! Gratz on a great job guys!!

ukkevinl
December 24th, 2005, 08:37
Hi,

Looks great, but doesnt work on 2.0, is there any chance of a version that works with Fanjitas eboot loader?

cheers

ukkevinl