PDA

View Full Version : PSP-OSS v0.1b (Open Source Shell for the PSP)

wraggster
December 23rd, 2005, 17:18
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/screenshot9uuoss.png

The Open Source PSP-OSS (http://oss.pspdistro.com/public/) Shell for the PSP has been released, heres the info from the readme:

Features:

*Audio:

Built-in audio player
MP3 and OGG support
*Image:

Built-in image viewer
PNG and JPG support an resolutions up to 512x512
*EBOOT Support:

Run any EBOOT off you memory stick via the "Start Menu" (1.5 firmware)
*Filebrowser:

Easily access your memory sticks files via included filebrowser
Ability to Open, Cut, Paste, Delete and Rename files
*Easy-to-use GUI:

Restart and shutdown the PSP-OSS from the desktop
Run any UMD from the desktop (excluding UMDs requiring 2.xx)
Edit your theme or background from the configuration panel
Enable/disable USB mode
Access time and date information
*Shortcuts

Look at Shortcut.ql example on the desktop. Open in a text editor
*Folder Locations for Desktop and Start Menu

Files you want on the desktop or in the start menu go in these folders
Desktop: PSP-OSS\DESKTOP\
Game: PSP\GAME\
Music: PSP\MUSIC\
Pictures: PSP\PHOTO\

Download this excellent new shell via the comments and leave feedback :)

NeoXCS
December 23rd, 2005, 17:36
Wow this is looking really good. Can't wait for the next release. ;)

Amiga
December 23rd, 2005, 19:32
Excellent!, even though its a bit funny on my V1.00 psp.

Onetonbullet
December 23rd, 2005, 20:35
Wishlist for this app:

Integrated media player
FTP client with USB host function

I HOPE!

pakkman781
December 23rd, 2005, 20:38
Wow! Excellent! Very Stable too, only crashed once ;)

The OSX Theme needs a little cleaning up, as most OSX themes do these days, they're outdated. Web browser would be the most kick ass thing ever, but easier said than done...

Great release man, very nice! If you need any graphics help, I'm willing to help, just contact me!

davecheese1971
December 23rd, 2005, 20:55
A most excellent release, with a lot of promise!!!

Well done :)

harryboy9
December 23rd, 2005, 21:29
This is an AWSOME release!!!!!!! I can c a very promising future for this!!!!!!
Congrats :)

IndianCheese
December 23rd, 2005, 22:36
I could take a dump, make a pot of coffee, and mow the lawn in the time it takes to jam this onto my PSP. Looks good, though. Just hope I don't have to reinstall the entire app when the next version rolls around.

greenoldfart
December 24th, 2005, 01:59
when i downloaded it, i noticed that the eboot from the PSP-OSS folder was smaller than the other eboot and installed everything the way its supposed to be, but it doesnt work for me. i have a 1.5 psp. can someone help? :confused:

jezzachan
December 24th, 2005, 02:47
This is great! this is actually better than windows 95 the psp. When do you think it will be available for 2.0 and can support wma ?

great work!

Jdemon
December 24th, 2005, 03:18
i noticed that the eboot from the PSP-OSS folder was smaller than the other eboot :confused:

The eboots in the two "games" folders are suppose to be different sizes.(19kb/150kb)
Did you copy the "PSP-OSS" to the root of your MS card?

This is amazing!! If they can get it up and running on the 2.0 or higher...well... lets just say SONY will really pissed off. While Open Source Shell doesnt load isos, you can run stuff like Fastloader, which will mean all of Sony's hard work will go right down the drain. And the whole cycle of hackers vs imperialist corporation will begin again.

scarface350
December 24th, 2005, 03:25
I wanna know if this is coming out for 2.00 cuz i downgraded like 5 times already and from what i heard after abput like 10-20 times your psp messes up. : ( so can you Please please please make it for 2.0. BTW nice work :cool:

cloudd
December 24th, 2005, 07:42
Why would he work on this for 2.0 when the 1.5 version isn't even enhanced enough yet. 2.0 = no kernel mode and a pain in the ass. So kiss it goodbye for now... I can live with no PSP games. Homebrew is where it's at anyways. Sony better smarten up their game line up sucks shit! I really wonder how psp would be selling now without homebrew emulation???

Illegal Machine
December 24th, 2005, 18:45
well as soon as that team emergency exit autobooter comes out, you ownt even have to load this at all..

it will boot automaticly at the start

how about that?

Killing2Live
December 26th, 2005, 00:26
Is anyone else having problems with the mouse kind of getting stuck moving downwards?

andrewgabriel77
December 26th, 2005, 00:47
I'd like to see an opensource compression utility worked into this Like "7zip" or something so I can download zip and rar files directly to my psp and then open them to the appropriate areas

THE ANSWER
December 26th, 2005, 01:01
Awesome APP big props to this guys.

Acrodin
December 27th, 2005, 05:37
need input! ....

O.K. will someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've unpacked all the files in there proper places, but when I go to launch the app, it gives me an error message "This game could not be started (80020321)" ???????????? wtf?

(btw, I'm running it on a 1.5)

THE ANSWER
December 27th, 2005, 08:01
try extracting directly the PSP-OSS%, and the PSP-OSS(the one with the eboot) files from WinRAR to your PSP GAME directory. Do the same for the PSP-OSS(the one with the other files) extract it to the the ROOT directory instead of just dragging them on top. Hope this helps I just got my working I had the same problem with believe me its worth going though the hastle.