PDA

View Full Version : Game Distribution and the 'Idiocy' of DRM

wraggster
September 28th, 2008, 23:46
In light of the increased focus on the DRM controversy in recent days, Ars Technica did an interview with execs from CD Projekt's Good Old Games about where the problems are with current DRM implementation. "For me, the idiocy of those protection solutions shows how far from reality and from customers a lot of executives at big companies can be. You don't have to be a genius to check the internet and see all the pros and cons of those actions." Penny Arcade is also running a two-part series on DRM from game journalists Brian Crecente and Chris Remo. Crecente talks about how some companies are making progress in developing acceptable DRM, and some aren't. Remo recommends against a trend of overreaction to minor gripes.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/28/1559257

jamotto
September 29th, 2008, 01:59
Acceptable DRM does not exist.

osgeld
September 29th, 2008, 05:01
drm treats us all like criminals, and i will not have any part of it

i got burned by a ea drm about 10 years ago, i bought "tiger woods golf" for the palm pilot... you had to go online and get a uuid ... which would change every time you installed it

well 10 years later, i still have the official disc, i even still have original my palm 7, but yet i cannot play what i paid for, they do not support it on their websit anymore

yea ok, 10 year old tiger woods on a palm 7? well i still use that palm 7 almost every day, and tiger woods with a stylus was fun, i paid for it, and dammit i want to play it

havoc_012
September 29th, 2008, 08:01
DRM encourages piracy. Often times the best versions of software are the ones without the DRM viruses and rootkits. Pirated copies often remove that DRM functionality, ultimately resulting in a better product.