PDA

View Full Version : Need help on upgrading and downgrading from 1.52

jwilds73
December 27th, 2005, 05:31
Ok I have read the guide here http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6432 However under the section about upgrading from the 1.52 it on say's:

1.51 and 1.52 users

1. Download 2.00 upgrade, here, install, and follow 2.00 instructions

What is the exact procedure for this though? IE: Where do I install the upgrade eboot to before running it? I will be downloading the 2.0 upgrade from here http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/5 (That is the correct one right?) I am doing this for a friend on his PSP so I do not want to risk doing anything wrong. I downloaded the eboot to see if it came with exact instructions but it only has the eboot file by itself and no directions on where to install it before running it etc. The downgrading instructions are pretty straight forward but nothing explains exactly what to do with the 2.0 upgrade eboot.

Thanks,

Jwilds73

SoCal
December 27th, 2005, 08:09
First connect up via usb your psp to your pc. Go to the PSP memory stick and navigate to the x:\PSP\GAME folder. Create a folder called UPDATE. So now your directory structure for your memory stick will look like this: X:\PSP\GAME\UPDATE

In the update folder copy the Eboot file to it. Now when you look at the display on your PSP you will see a update icon under the memory stick menu.

A word of caution: Do not upgrade past v2.00 or you will not be able to downgrade. :D

jwilds73
December 27th, 2005, 09:06
Thanks I assumed it went that way but I don't want to be assuming anything with my friends PSP. He is alot less computer literate than me and I'm no expert so I don't want him trying this on his own. So after I install the 2.0 eboot in the update folder and run it how do I know when it is done? After it is complete I'll format the stick to be safe and follow these steps.

1. make the "x:\psp\game\update" folder again and place the 1.50 eboot in it.

2. unpack the mphdowngrader.zip

3. install overflow.tif into "x:\psp\photo" folder

4. Copy h.bin into "x:\"

5. Copy index.dat into "x:\"

6. Plug in the power ac adapter

7. Exit usb mode

8. Enter the photo menu and the system starts running the downgrader (ie: no need to select the image file [overflow.tif] it just starts once you navigate into the photo folder?)

9. Allow downgrader to run, may or may not see black screen with letters.

How long does this step take and when will I know it is safe to turn off the PSP and turn it back on?

10. Now I navigate to the update folder in the game section and run the 1.50 update eboot.

As with the first 2.0 update eboot how will I know when this is done does it just let you know it has completed its update?

11. Now I get an update failed message and I turn the PSP off and back on while holding down "O" until "something" happens (what exactly is this something?) then I again turn the system off and on and I am at 1.50 and can install everything just like I do with my own 1.50 PSP

Sorry about being so long winded. I have never done this before as my PSP was a 1.50 out of the box and I do not want to be buying a brick from my friend if I crash his PSP. So I am concerned about doing everything right and reading and rereading everything before I do anything.

Thanks again,

Jwilds73

jwilds73
December 27th, 2005, 15:44
Ok more questions here so bare with me :p I notice that Sonyxteam has two versions of it's downgrader available. and that the 1.0 version does not require you to install the index.dat file to the root directory anymore. However the only thing that confuses me about the instructions for this version is this:

"Then, enter in PHOTO MENU and open the overflow.tif , this will launch Version Changer.

Create an USB connection and if the Version Changer has been installed, a new file is created in your root of your memory stick (ms0:/bak_index.dat)."

How am I supposed to create a USB connection if I am supposed to be having a black screen with text or just a black screen all together? Is this after the overflow.tif runs? Then it is just supposed to go back to my standard PSP menu (ie: no need to reboot)? Then I run the 1.50 eboot from the UPDATE folder? And follow the rest of the instructions.

jwilds73
December 28th, 2005, 07:36
Well I got it all to work but not without a few hiccups though. The Overflow.tif file didn't want to seem to run at first the first couple of times the screen simply went black and after I rebooted I could not run the 1.50 eboot and I had followed the same steps all 3 times. However about the 3rd time it finally took and I seen some text on the black screen then I was able to follow the rest of the instructions and successfully downgrade my friends PSP.

SoCal
December 28th, 2005, 09:29
Well I got it all to work but not without a few hiccups though. The Overflow.tif file didn't want to seem to run at first the first couple of times the screen simply went black and after I rebooted I could not run the 1.50 eboot and I had followed the same steps all 3 times. However about the 3rd time it finally took and I seen some text on the black screen then I was able to follow the rest of the instructions and successfully downgrade my friends PSP.

Congrats! The first time is always the hardest. I've upgraded and downgraded mine about 6 times now and I still hold my breath when I launch the downgrader. :)