PDA

View Full Version : My PC blewup.

VampDude
September 29th, 2008, 17:12
Ok, so today my PC blew up. Which it was short lived to about one week over three years (Sep2005-Sep2008).

Who knew that when a PC gets so cold it won't start? And then trying to warm up, it worked much harder than it could and then finally BOOM! and a small puff of smoke or whatever I saw.

Wow, with the shock of it blowing up I just laughed and continued to do so even though I still don't know if I'm mad or not that I lost my PC. I mean the hard drive should still be good, right? If the hard drive can be saved, I will make myself yet another external.

Luckily I have my laptop, but my PC was everything to me because I have been working on some cool 2D animations quite recently and they were on it and not backed up (the laptop struggles with stuff for some reason?). :(

Hopefully I will get a new PC soon, cause not being with a PC is weird even though it's been only a few hours. I'm currently stuck between my Vista laptop and my mums XP PC not knowing what to do, because I'm usually between 2 Vista running machines. I think I need to dual-boot my laptop for both XP and Vista, because although I'm typing this on my laptop I feel lost in XP on the other PC and I need to get a feel for it again in my own workspace of my room (this room is weird - but I will tell that story another time).

I don't think I'm making any sense at the moment because my mind went blank a minute ago, I'm mostly thinking of the hard drive which is something I know very little about and if it's easy enough just to place it in an external shell and use it.

Eviltaco64
September 29th, 2008, 20:50
Well, you dont know what blew.
I'd recommend testing your Hard Drive in another computer, I'm pretty sure it's alright (although I could be wrong).

Shrygue
September 29th, 2008, 20:56
Maybe the Power Supply Unit (PSU) has gone kaput? If so, you just need to replace that part if the computer won't turn on when you press the power button. Try getting one that has higher wattage if you have components inside the machine that need lots of power (like the graphics card, extra hard drives, etc). Just a guess.

VampDude
September 30th, 2008, 03:16
Well, you dont know what blew.
I'd recommend testing your Hard Drive in another computer, I'm pretty sure it's alright (although I could be wrong).

I have plenty of external hard drives to dismantle and test the hard drive in a shell, I know the hard drive will fit nicely in the FREECOM one so I will test it sometime tomorrow. :)

Maybe the Power Supply Unit (PSU) has gone kaput? If so, you just need to replace that part if the computer won't turn on when you press the power button. Try getting one that has higher wattage if you have components inside the machine that need lots of power (like the graphics card, extra hard drives, etc). Just a guess.

Yeah, it seemed to be this thing (the PSU).

http://www.fixya.com/Brands/Images/W/Work%20Station/118x100/25263808.JPG

It's in the area that went bang anyway, I can't really pinpoint it to anything else.

I'm thinking of maybe a 650w (http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/detail/?q=POWER+SUPPLY+650W&s=648992&o=194588256&d=Sg-650+Uk+Signature+Powersupply+650w+Atx+80mm+Fan+80p lus+Sli+Uk) PSU, if I need more wattage (I think mine is somewhere around 350w).

I will probably get a new PC though, because my iMedia has seen better days than it has recently. Or consider the option of an upgrading repair, since I know from getting someone to upgrade my PC when they repair it I can possibly match the performance or better than a current mid-end PC for about the same price (or cheaper?).