PDA

View Full Version : Datel 4GB Hard Drive Review by Wraggster

wraggster
December 27th, 2005, 22:41
OK i have been waiting for a while to do this but never had time and believe me, juggling 18 sites, a real work life, Children, a Wife and sleep makes finding time hard :P but i manage it without too many probs ;)

With many thanks to Lik Sang (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=7825&lsaid=219793) who supplied the unit as a review sample i finally got around to doing it, for those who dont know what the hell im talking about and thats easily done :P, heres some info about the unit:

http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large/psp-datel-4gb-hdd3.jpg

The X2 Battery is a direct replacement for your PSP's rechargeable battery, but offers double the capacity of the standard model. Now bundled with a 4GB HDD, it gives you plenty of space for your saves and files on the go.

The 4GB HD uses ultra-reliable Micro-Drive technology. The HD interfaces with the PSP by means of a flexible Memory Stick™ adapter which is plugged into the Memory Stick™ slot on the PSP.

Once connected, the body of the HD attaches snugly to the back of the PSP by means of two location posts which slot into corresponding holes on the back of the PSP. When used in conjunction with the X-2 double capacity battery the 4GB HD forms an ergonomic extension to the PSP which follows the neat lines of the handheld, fitting snugly in your palms. Once connected, you use the 4GB HD just as you would a normal Memory Stick™; you can playback video, MP3s, movies and images and save from inside your PSP games.

Heres an excerpt from my review:

The announcement of the 4GB Hard Drive by Datel was a major piece of news for the PSP Scene and the addition of the Double Strength Battery and also Datels Media Software and also USB 2.0 Cable meant this was it seemed good value for money against Sony and Sandisk 2GB Offerings, when first announced the price was a steep $249 but upon release it dropped down to $199 and later to $179, ok thats the back ground heres my review.

Intstallation of the 4GB Hard Drive was quite easy, it involved opening up the slot where the Memory card goes and pushing the interface and cable into it, the Hard Drive then with what must be magnets on the case around the Hard drive it pushed in and was very sturdy with only the cable sticking out a bit from where it goes into the Memory card slot, not perfect but decent enough.

The installation of the X2 Battery was a breeze too, taking the original battery cover and battery out takes seconds and the install was just as easy and balanced the back of the PSP nicely, it does look a bit strange with the 2 ends sticking out but not massively awful.

Read the full review by me here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/datel4gbharddrive-review.shtml

T-2000
December 27th, 2005, 23:55
i also have one, and find when its fitted i can hold the psp better, although the big dissapointment is not being able to watch movies, so i use my 1gb card for that, ive tried lowering bitrates and the lipsync is out so if its a few movies u wanna stick on there and homebrew you can forget it, keep with yer MS..but for homebrew/iso's is great...

MIB.42
December 28th, 2005, 02:14
Good point, I'd be interested to see a bit more TECHNICAL REVIEW, not a mostly sales presentation. Something useful like a r/w speed to compare with MemorySticks :

hemsjones
December 28th, 2005, 06:07
hold on, you cant watch movies on the 4gb hdd. why?

T-2000
December 28th, 2005, 11:41
You can watch movies but the sound is out of sync, they do say converting movies in AVC will work, but AVC not available in firmware 1.5, so u need to upgrade, i think it has something to do with it using a microdrive, like i say a biG dissapointment...