PDA

View Full Version : Quake 3

Sinnorf
September 29th, 2008, 21:02
Hi.
I have noticed that people have been trying to find a way to get Quake 3 ported to PSP.
I have found a site that ported Quake 3 to C++ language, would it be possible to port Quake 3 easier with this.
Sorry if this is a noobish question, I am new with PSP programming =].

blowbomber
October 5th, 2008, 21:23
link of the website?

MrPeanut
October 5th, 2008, 22:45
C++ isn't a really big advantage. I think when people were working on Quake III for the PSP back in the day it was the fat's 32mb of memory which slowed everything down. With the slims having 64 mb there may be a better chance.

Although when people played Quake III on pc they probably had 32-64mb video cards. I'd imagine you'd have to cripple most of Q3's content to get it to fit within the memory constraints of the PSP.

bah
October 6th, 2008, 05:34
I dont see it happening, but dreamcast and ps2 ran cut down versions of it. PS2 even had 4 player split screen.

It would probably take a LOT of work due to the lack of 'spare' power on the PSP (the bare minimum specs of the PC version were about that of the PSP in MB and MHz terms. The architecture is completely different though).

Sinnorf
October 6th, 2008, 12:59
Then how did
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvci1vTXyUo person manage to put quake 3 onto his Ipod touch?
It may be fake but I have seen a lot of people talking about this on differant site, loads of thes sites can be found on this hyperlink (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=quake+3+ipod+touch&meta=) .

MrPeanut
October 7th, 2008, 02:39
Pretty sure I read somewhere the ipod touch has 128mb ram, and the processor is only around 400mhz, I think?

I think q3 may be able to be playable on psp with crippled content, anything to keep memory freed up. Not to mention the bad OpenGL implementation the PSP has.

EDIT: I also think there were people who worked on it awhile back, it'd be interesting to see the performance (if it runs) on the PSP and try to tweak it. I'd mess with it but:
1) I only have a phat psp.
2) I'm working on aleph one, and that engine is giving me enough headache as it is.