PDA

View Full Version : Quake II PSP - First Beta

wraggster
December 29th, 2005, 10:25
Our friend McZonk (http://teamemergencyexit.blogspot.com/) has on his website posted some great shots of his amazing progress with the port of Quake 2 to the PSP, heres the news first:

This screenshots are the proof that you can work in a loud, dark enviroment filled with more than 200 people while watching demos, listening to music and hang around with the guys from Titan :)

The clipping problem is not solved. I'll fix that in the next days. But it is just a nasty bug now and not the failure of skip the hole floor.
I send an exclusive beta to the guys from psphacking101. I always watch their little psp show and I'd love to see Quake 2 on it.

Checkout the screenshots via the comments, leave feedback ;)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
December 29th, 2005, 15:19
Looks great but its early days yet.Any chance of a port of half life after all it is a modded version of the quake 2 engine... :D

FeAReD
December 29th, 2005, 15:24
that looks great.

craig588
December 29th, 2005, 15:32
Half life is based off of the Quake 1 engine. It's not open source so a port's not going to happen.

MGFox
December 29th, 2005, 15:54
Those screens look awesome! Fantastic work!

I'm now gonna be waiting for the next episode of PSP Hacking 101, could be a little while though as ep9 only just came out.

Eggman : It is not possible to create Half-life from a port of Quake II. Although the HL engine was spawned from id technology, it was so heavily modified that its practically unrecognisable. The only way to get an port of Half-life is to obtain the source code from Valve...which will not happen, because they are still trying to get money from Half-life by charging for a slightly improved version on Steam...talk about trying to flog a dead horse, the tightwads!

Cheers,
Fox

P.S. McZonk I've sent you a PM!

creoleplane
December 29th, 2005, 19:37
Id technology yes, Quake II no, like said before in this post HL is a Quake 1 engine game, it always kind of bugs me when people forget that. What we really really need is this guy to put all this effort to porting glQuake since Quake 1 seriously destroys the shit out of Quake 2. 2 is just a waste of time.

walrus82
December 29th, 2005, 21:27
Wonderful!!! Does this port use hardware rendering or just software as PSP-Quake? Is there any chance of porting OpenGL-versions of Quake 1/2 to PSP?

Can't wait for release....

Flipao
December 29th, 2005, 23:12
Half Life used the Quake 2 engine. The did some concept work with the Q1 engine (Gordon Freeman looked like crap :P), but that's about it...

It'd be cool just to be able to play Gloom on me PSP... it's one of my fave mods ever :)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
December 30th, 2005, 00:17
Hey guyz rhanks for the feed back. LEts hope they get quake GL ported quickly or even quake 2 runing respectably..once again thanks guyz :o

creoleplane
December 30th, 2005, 03:33
I hate to turn this thread into a "what engine did HL use" but it just really bugs me when the mistake is made. HL was a Quake 1 engine game. All of the model and level formats are Q1. It's a highl modiefied Q1 engine, just google it for christ sakes.

alepus
December 30th, 2005, 04:23
hl is based on a quake 1 engine.. not quake2.

btw. this q2 port is super nice. i'll probably spend a lot of hours on this... i liked the singleplayer game... but quake1 kills quake2 in deathmatch.

i'd love to see a wifi quake 1 port to psp.

PSmonkey
December 30th, 2005, 05:56
Just to add to the list. HL was based on quake 1 engine but heavly modified & I believe it borrowed a few tech from quake 2 but thats about it.

It would pretty much be impossible or ungodly difficult to get hl running on the psp (real hl, not a fake one made for another game like doom) without the original source or very very good docuemtnation on the games assets.

Anyways Quake 2 is still great imo and its going to be great playing this on the psp. Hopefuly other ID games get ported like Heretic 2, GL Quake (current quake port needs work), scaled back q3 port (maybe using the DC assets).

McZonk
December 30th, 2005, 12:30
Oh, foxtrott-uniform-charlie-kilo you all!
It really pisses me on that each Quake 2 PSP thread is turned into a Halflife porting discussion. So STFU and write your own damn HL port dumbasses.

@PSmonkey, thanks for telling again that it is not possible and perhaps we can talk about working together on Quake 2.

MGFox
December 30th, 2005, 14:13
@McZonk, A few days ago I sent you a PM about an Intro Video, I was just wondering if you managed to take a look at it and if you were interested or not?

Cheers,
Fox

Flipao
December 30th, 2005, 20:36
Half Life was indeed based on the Q1 Engine. You're right, I'm wrong.

*eats humble pie*

greenoldfart
December 30th, 2005, 21:15
really nice man hope you get it finished :D

The_Ultimate_Eggman
December 30th, 2005, 21:58
ok dude keep calm !!! lol

Produkt
January 3rd, 2006, 11:23
I commend you for your work on the Quake 2 engine, a true milestone much like PSMonkey's work for 3D PSP Games, and if I'm not mistaken looks like you get to push out a playable by entertaining means, first.

Good luck with that. Dont worry about the little kids man This was an awsome game and you are bringing it back to life but more importantly You are furthering the Development of much needed 3D homebrew. I will gladly help you out in any means possible.