PDA

View Full Version : Let's Compare The DS Lite and the DSi

Darksaviour69
October 2nd, 2008, 11:38
Full story and pics at Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5057883/lets-compare-the-ds-lite-and-the-dsi)

Nintendo's announced the DSi, the third iteration of its DS platform. But how does it stack up to the Nintendo DS Lite? We've crunched the numbers and got the data for comparison's sake.

• Size of Liquid Crystal Display
Nintendo DSi: 3.25 inches
Nintendo DS Lite: 3 inches

• Liquid Crystal Screen
Nintendo DSi: Possible to display 260,000 colors
Nintendo DS Lite: Possible to display 260,000 colors

• Portable Size
Nintendo DSi: Width 137mm, Length 74.9mm, Thickness 18.9mm (touch pen is approx. 92mm in length)
Nintendo DS Lite: Width 133mm, Length 73.9mm, Thickness 21.5mm (touch pen is approx. 87.5mm in length)

• Power Supply
Nintendo DSi: AC adaptor for Nintendo DSi
Nintendo DS Lite: AC adaptor for DS Lite

• Weight
Nintendo DSi: Approx. 214g (with touch pen)
Nintendo DS Lite: Approx. 218g (with touch pen, Game Boy Advance cover)

• Charging Time
Nintendo DSi: Approx. 2 hours and 30 minutes
Nintendo DS Lite: Approx. 3 hours

• Battery Life
Nintendo DSi: The lowest brightness (9-14 hrs), low brightness (8-12 hours), medium brightness (6-9 hours), high brightness (4-6 hours), highest brightness(3-4 hours)
Nintendo DS Lite: The lowest brightness (15-19 hrs), low brightness (10-15 hours), high brightness (7-11 hours), highest brightness(5-8 hours)

• Software
Nintendo DSi: Software for Nintendo DS, Software for Nintendo DSi.
Nintendo DS Lite: Software for Nintendo DS, Software for Game Boy Advance

• Input-Output
Nintendo DSi: DS card slot, SD memory card slot, AC adaptor connection, stereo headphone/mic jack
Nintendo DS Lite: DS card slot, Game Boy Advance cartridge slot, AC adaptor connection, stereo headphone/mic jack

royvedas
October 2nd, 2008, 12:58
I think this sucks. Don't make at new iteration that can run its own software unless you make an entire new an improved generation console. I don't want to buy a new DS, get som cheap addons and losing GBA compatibility.

A new powerfull processor or something might convince me. And I want to be able to play Game & Watch Gallery Advance!!

mistac
October 2nd, 2008, 13:10
All the various reports I've read state there is a built-in web browser. Now does this mean they've increased the available RAM or does it rely on the SD storage?

gutbub
October 2nd, 2008, 14:51
I think this sucks. Don't make at new iteration that can run its own software unless you make an entire new an improved generation console. I don't want to buy a new DS, get som cheap addons and losing GBA compatibility.

A new powerfull processor or something might convince me. And I want to be able to play Game & Watch Gallery Advance!!

Yea, because it's not like they'll use the SD slot for anything. They added it just for looks.

Also, does this mean my DSi will naturally support media playback? That would be sweet. Maybe the Big N is trying to support homebrew the same way they do with WiiWare.

Auriman1
October 2nd, 2008, 15:37
Yea, because it's not like they'll use the SD slot for anything. They added it just for looks.

You may have been being sarcastic, but you hit the nail on the head. They just want a few new gimmicks to move as many units as possible. I had said on another forum Nintendo would probably cut corners to lower the price, but taking out the GBA components?!

FAIL, Nintendo; it seems they've forgotten people still play GBA games, and many DS games, not including the worthless excuses of shovelware, also use the GBA slot for rumble, unlocking features, and in Pokemon's case, the Pal Park. We're not talking older games, either, we're talking more recent DS titles.

linkenski
October 2nd, 2008, 15:49
lol i love how he left the big change part out! its the new firmware and SD support that does it! we can download official games and apps through internet, and maybe the firmware will be upgradable!

Auriman1
October 2nd, 2008, 16:00
Assuming that was targeted at me, let's not forget the battery life of this is shortened, internet browsing and music were already available via third parties anyway, upgradeable firmwares could very likely block flashcards (I don't have one, but it should definitely be a concern for some), and a WiiWare DS look-alike is just another way to get out even MORE shovelware.

trugamer
October 2nd, 2008, 16:18
The GBA slot really had to go- its not just cost but also size, if you look inside a ds and see how much space it takes up, there is no way you could squeeze an sd card slot in there. In the end if GBA is essential just stick to your ds lite, I prefer playing them on my micro anyway in higher resolution. And the extras the slot provide aren't that great, fair enough extra RAM is great for the homebrew scene but Nintendo aren't going to care abou that. Its only really rumble, GH and Opera that are now unusable, no biggy cos if you already own them you have a ds/lite anyway. If you don't like it, just don't upgrade.

Lastron
October 2nd, 2008, 16:45
Sounds like a 'downgrade'.
nothing new is here that wasnt available before with stuff like flashcards and mods.

also we've lost all gba compatibility and many game features to go with it. What was that about the size of slot-2? God. Its small enough already.

phsychokill
October 2nd, 2008, 16:57
yep sounds like a totaly pointlesss DS. as said you loose all the GBA link games and addond that fit into the GBA port. saying there was no room for a SD card is a joke how hard would it of been for nintendo to bring out a flash card for media/DS ware titles?

the simple fact is they wanted a boost in hardware sales so they bring out a new system that looses a big feature in exchange for one they can make money off.

Justise
October 2nd, 2008, 18:24
I guess even Nintendo makes mistakes once in a wile....

Why would anyone buy this downgrade....

iofthestorm
October 2nd, 2008, 21:00
Reduced battery life is annoying, and posible incompatibility with homebrew as well. It looks like they made the battery smaller to make it thinner, which is annoying because 3-4 hours is almost laptop level.

davidcrew
October 2nd, 2008, 23:40
i was expecting something awesome. This thing is more of a cut the corners, add current media things like the music player and camera that are already done better by other things that people already own...

but on the plus side, the camera and onboard memory mixed with the sd slot could see some excellent potential for homebrew.

BastarB
October 3rd, 2008, 01:00
This new DS version will probably go the same way as the Gameboy Micro did. The gameboy Micro is on the list of the 10 Worst-Selling Handhelds of all Time. I own a Micro, and it's really nice, but however, it was still a downgrade from the original Gameboy advance and the SP since it dropped the support for older GB and GBC games:(

Jeric
October 3rd, 2008, 04:05
I'm going to wait and see before passing judgement since right now I know zip about ram or cpu on this thing, so for me it all depends on the following.

Price
Whether the big N will allow homebrew code to be run via SD directly or if we'll have to hack it in somehow. No, seriously, this is key. If they allow straight out of the gate third party software to run via sd cart while disallowing rom playback off the sd slot itself that could be a major saving grace here)
Ram/CPU

I know I'm not going to win any friends here but everyone that's passing judgment already needs to just shut up and stop being stupid. After it hits, or at least we get better specs on what its capable of THEN judgment can be passed.

Jeromel
October 3rd, 2008, 08:51
Jeric - Very good points. I totally agree with you. It's too early to say anything about it.

The new system has me curious. How could anyone say that this itteration is a downgrade? People who are saying that obviously upset about the loss of the GBA slot. In comparison, with my non-legacy motherboard, I haven't ever missed the old parallel and serial ports. I would guess that someone with an old printer or VERY old game pad would require those ports. So, for anyone who has GBA games don't complain about the DSi because you won't need to upgrade since you already have the hardware you need. I suspect you'd be upset because you won't have the newest hardware. People who don't care about GBA games or GBA add-ons won't mind the slot going away.

With all the add-on's you would think that there would be more CPU power and more RAM. It only makes sense that there's more RAM because of the fact that the browser would require more tha the Lite could offer (at least the Opera browser did). If that is the case then the DSi-only games will be much more crisper in respects to graphical quality, frame rate, and other aspects.

Here are some quick comments I have about the changes that we know are in place:

SD Slot: SD? Why not MicroSDHC? I'm sure that the smaller form factor would have made the unit SLIGHTLY smaller.

Internal Flash: What size and will it only be used for built-in functions (BIOS, OS, Browser, Media Player, PictoChat)?

Cameras: Two of them? And such low resolution?

Bigger Screens: I'll need to see it to see if it REALLY makes such an impact.

Shortened battery life: Not surprised, probably smaller form factor and with all the new hardware needing power on bootup.

Things other than CPU and RAM that were not mentioned but I would like to know:

RSA Security on the ROMs (Assuming that's what they use): Will the FlashCarts be able to work around this.

Wifi: Will there be an upgrade to G or N from the existing B class? I'd hate waiting for downloads.

Wireless Security: Support for security other than Open and WEP, please.

Quality of the hinge: Most DS Lites have broken at the right side of the hinge... hopefully the design has rectified that.

Screen Quality: First generation of DS Lites used a much better screen where as the second generation of DS Lites have shown more ghosting than the first. I really hope they don't use the junky ones.

DSiWare: Do you think that they would sell GBA games via this route? And if so, would it count for DS/GBA union games?

Sorry for the long message but I thought that I would supply everyone with thoughtfull insights rather than negative comments without supporting data.

BastarB
October 3rd, 2008, 13:07
I know I'm not going to win any friends here but everyone that's passing judgment already needs to just shut up and stop being stupid. After it hits, or at least we get better specs on what its capable of THEN judgment can be passed.

Sorry for the long message but I thought that I would supply everyone with thoughtfull insights rather than negative comments without supporting data.

Okej, Guys. atleast Jeric, stop saying that people are stupid because their thoughts of this new product differs from yours:( You don't even know us personally, and you don't know how smart or stupid we "others" really are. Maybe we judge this product a little early, maybe it was a wrong idea to open our mouths that much, but we should still try to be nice against each other and not tell each other that they are stupid, or tell each other to shut up. Right:)
If someone is stupid here, its Nintendo, for giving such a bad impresson for many of their cosumers with their first announcement.
And yeah, a group of consumers do not probably care about the fact that the GBA slot is gone because they does not play GBA games, but I do, so please respect my opinion. People with special hardware can't use it anymore. And yes, we do not know if there's going to be any cpu improvments or graphical improvments, and if it where, nintendo should probably already have told us that, if they haven't it's just stupid.

Lastly I want to wish you gentlemen a nice day:D:thumbup: Hope I not sounded rude myself:(

EDIT: There maybe is one thing that speaks for improved graphics and CPU, and that is the lack of officially announced nintendo titles for Nintendo DS lately, maybe they are making DSi only titles in secret:S

Jeromel
October 3rd, 2008, 15:13
BastarB - It's funny how things can be taken the wrong way. I don't think that you sounded any ruder than Jeric or I (if anyone was rude at all). However, calling Nintendo stupid would be quite presumptuous since we really don't get to see their full plan. It's an odd move but it's a move with some form of reason behind it. In regards to the lack of GBA support, I feel for you and all that play GBA games, but if Nintendo DID keep GBA support AND add the new hardware the DSi would be much larger, don't you think? Besides, GBA game sales are quite low now, so there's no reason for them to continue with it. For those people who want the best of both worlds, you'll have to have both systems. For those who just care about DS games, you have nothing to worry about. LOL There will be quite a few DS's that are going to be eBay'ed because of this. Personally, I'm not going to buy into the DSi until I see what it can REALLY do AND when the hinge of my current DS Lite totally get killed. LOL

linkenski
October 3rd, 2008, 15:24
am i the only excited guy about DSi? the camera and new user interface does it all!

Jeric
October 4th, 2008, 01:53
'stop calling people stupid' I only said it once to get people's attention. After all we have very few facts as of right now, and while i enjoy speculating, its the Constantin whining and doom saying that grates my nerves. Give it six months, and as has been said earlier. Nintendo has a plan. After all they've been a company for over a century, and you don't survive that long by being stupid. Granted the virtua boy was kinda dumb, and I loathe how they treated Gunpi yukoi(i know i misspelled that, and i"m sorry) after the fact, but everyone stumbles, and it can't be as bad as virtua boy. There were only five games put out for it after all. This would, presumably, inherit the DS library.