PDA

View Full Version : PSP Community - Disapointed Statement from McZonk

wraggster
December 30th, 2005, 18:58
McZonk (http://teamemergencyexit.blogspot.com/) the coder behind the Quake2 Port obviously feels a bit peeved at comments from some of the less imature members of the scene, heres what he posted at his site:

"I got a lot of commendation and a lot of critism for my Quake 2 port. And it is good to hear the nice words and I can live with the bad ones. But something really pisses me on, the dumbasses that turn every thread into a Halflife or Counterstrike porting discussion. Here is a little advice for you: write your own port and ...

My favorite spam on psp-updates:

Why is everyone so excited about this crap? It's a very ugly port of a 10 year old game. Before anyone gets pissed off atme, I'm one of beta testers. No one wants to play this crap.

The really funny fact about that is, he is not one of my testers. It's sadly.

I know the psp scene is not really big and it is flooded with small kids. There aren't much of good licenced games as well as just a few good homebrew games. Callisto (greetings Klesk) as example. Some good emulators have been written. In fact just a few coders make cool stuff, so why you cannot be thankful for their work. They spend hours of their leisure time just to make games and emulators and all of their stuff is free.
So just keep your stupid mouth shut and accept the games that are ported or in progess. And if you really want a game ported, do it your self.
Greetings to all psp coders out in the world!

Quitting the PSP scene

I'll really think about quitting the psp scene. It makes no fun. I hoped it would get better, but it got worse. The hole scene is filled with stupid suckers play isos the hole day and some other asking questions about iso gaming, because they are too stupid. On the other side are the 2.01+ guys. Asking the hole day to write a downgrade and spam around everywhere. Everyone is crying about the bad homebrew games and emulators. Not enough speed or too bad graphics. I can understand why a lot of developers quit.
I'll finish quake 2 and think about leave the psp scene. I'll still would make demos with Titan, because the psp is a cool piece of hardware, but perhaps I'll stop make stuff for the community."

I personally hope McZonk stays but i can understand reasons why coders get fed up with a lot of the scene.

Mew
December 30th, 2005, 19:23
I definetly agree with McZonk's opinion of the PSP community. I see comments of that little brats (not the age, more their mind) very often, not everywhere, but often. It's really annoying. Didn't he get enough good feedback to ignore those brats? :( If yes, pls tell me the address where I can thank him for his done work =) !!
I always ignoring the posts of those brats.. It's not a big thing to ignore it ;) .

@McZonk (and the other PSP coders) [if they read this]:
I hope, that you still stay with us and not leave. Your attitude is understandable, but please don't forget us. The little group of the PSP community, which isn't a iso-sucking kid! We love all your homebrew and work! I'm very gratefull about every homebrew release I can get.
Cheer up! C'mon! ;)

Mew - Germany :)

Amiga
December 30th, 2005, 19:47
McZonk dont quit!!,because of some simply minded immature morons.

people like you are very much appriciated.

Just ignore them.

Dont let them get you down m8:D

*o*
December 30th, 2005, 20:19
mczonk is without a doubt the best coder working on a public project at the moment!!

please dont quit your a great coder a great person and you have so much to offer to the scene!

so please mczonk PLEASE DONT QUIT!!

shiftybill
December 30th, 2005, 20:34
yeah dude bring on quake2!!

Ennohex
December 30th, 2005, 20:35
Allright. I'm not a coder of any sort of PSP homebrew. In fact I don't know squat about programming. What I do know is that there are people like McZonk trying to make FREE goodies for us, whether YOU like it is irrelavent. The thing that is important is that he'll be making the first steps for other coders to follow in. I personally adore Quake 2 and check the posts every day, like an exited kid, to see how far he's progressed. When McZonk does finish, I'm planning on sending him a donation.

wraggster
December 30th, 2005, 20:44
yeah i think people and especially the younger/less knowledgable although not limited to them dont understand the hard work it takes to port over programs to the PSP or indeed any console.

I am always in awe because i just dont posess the talents to do anything like that.

zackforbing
December 30th, 2005, 20:44
basically what it comes down to is that idiotic retards don't respect the things people do, and feel the need to bash it, to make themselves feeling better about the NOTHING that they do. that or they're just dicks who feel the need to piss on everything.

NeoXCS
December 30th, 2005, 21:11
I know how hard it is to code(not for psp but wish I could). I know you do a lot of hard work just for the good of the psp community. I wish people out there could realize how much an asset you and all the other psp coders are to the community. We need ya McZonk, dont give up because of all the whiners out there. I'll be here cheering you on! :)

McZonk
December 30th, 2005, 21:20
This is what I mean.

xuphorz
December 30th, 2005, 21:26
mczonk, i've made a rpg pc game betas before, and am working on a new one, and am with a team to make a psp game, so i know what you mean by people always saying stuff like that. i'm just telling you this, Quake 2 is one of the best games ever i have played, i would love it for psp. i HATE half life and counterstrike, so screw those people who say they want them. Quake 2 is the only psp homebrew game i've been looking forward to playing. keep it up.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
December 30th, 2005, 22:07
Hey McZonk I wasnt dissing your great work what you have done is fantastic and would love to see a fully finished port.I just possed an inocent question and did not mean to cause any embaresment. :(

Mew
December 30th, 2005, 22:13
mczonk, i've made a rpg pc game betas before, and am working on a new one, and am with a team to make a psp game, so i know what you mean by people always saying stuff like that. i'm just telling you this, Quake 2 is one of the best games ever i have played, i would love it for psp. i HATE half life and counterstrike, so screw those people who say they want them. Quake 2 is the only psp homebrew game i've been looking forward to playing. keep it up.

signed..!
word!
You're right, man!
Sorry for this spampost, but xuphorz said all what I wanted to say in my last post, thank u guy! :)

pepegomez
December 30th, 2005, 22:33
why do u even care about that? if ur reading the first sentence of a post, u already know if its worth to keep on reading. just dont and think positive.
no mater if the game is good or bad. that u ported the game u like is what matters.

PoorWhiteTrash
December 30th, 2005, 22:37
I dunno... but I like the free homebrew stuff because I can not afford any of the bought crap. I think that anybody that is willing to write programs for free should not be attacked by immature jackasses that can't do it themselves.

Bravo Zulu McZonk!

Exelcior
December 30th, 2005, 22:37
Not that a post can change an opinion, but here goes.

The PSP scene at the moment is terrible, forums full of whining kids wanting their 2.x firmware fixed right here right now. They do not understand how much work goes into things like that, and they do not understand that trying to reverse-engineer software made by a multi-billion dollar corparation is nigh impossible. When someone decides 'Hey, I'll make a homebrew!', the little [Insert expletive here]'s that have nothing better to do but moan that they updated and want it fixed think: 'Hey, that guy can code, lets shout at him till he fixes my firmware'. These people are small minded and do not realise that it is hard to code, it is hard to fight sony (well, it is now). I ignore the posts, they do annoy me, but I ignore it. I understande McZonk, that the lack of positive feedback on your project has got you feeling damn well unappreciated. Please think of us, the small group of thankfull PSP users, I code, but nothing up to your standard, and am only just learning the functions and calls of the PSP system, I hope to make somehting big someday, but if everyone quits when the noobs annoy them (which has happened to a few coders) then there isnt going to be anyone left to code for, except a bunch of little brats who want to play fake iso's all day and dont care for homebrew. Good work on your Quake port, I sincerely hope that it gets completed, and that you and whoever works with you stay in the scene, and code, regardless of the noobs and their incessant nagging. </rant>

Thanks for reading my longwinded rant :)

Exelcior

urchin
December 30th, 2005, 22:51
McZonk, you need bigger earplugs. My favourite c64psp comment so far is:

Commadore? F*** that shit. Seriously, who plays with old systems like this? Fat people. F*** that.
Unfortunately, the comments have since been deleted but that guy guaranteed future releases of c64psp :D

xuphorz
December 30th, 2005, 23:48
@urchin - c64 a weird system, i 18, so i wasn't around to have them when they came out, but i think that most of it's games are fun. very nice emu, btw :)

quzar
December 30th, 2005, 23:53
If something as small as this makes you want to quit then you might not be ready to do this. If I were you and feeling like that after comments people posted I would, even though it's hard, just stop coming around whatever message boards people may post stuff at, and wait for the community to grow up. 2-3 years ago the Dreamcast homebrew scene was exactly the same "WHY YOU DOING THAT WE WANT SNES" etc. It can be stressful to deal with the criticsim of others, especially when it isn't constructive and is barely criticism and just insult.

Are psp coders mods here too? If so, one thing that could help you would be to edit people's posts like that into silly things.

Commadore? F*** that shit. Seriously, who plays with old systems like this? Fat people. F*** that.
becomes

Commadore? Fun as sh*t! Seriously, who plays with old systems like this? Cool people, that's who.

Of course you would leave in the 'edit notes' a small statement that due to the censorship some of the relevant content may have changed =P.

SmashinGit
December 31st, 2005, 00:01
I only use my psp for homebrew and would like to thank all the coders for all their hard work.

PSmonkey
December 31st, 2005, 00:11
MrZonk,

I look forward to hopefuly working with you on quake 2 as soon as the dccompo is over. :)

morganthegreat
December 31st, 2005, 01:16
Dear McZonk,

Firstly, let me say that your work so far has been an absolute godsend. Without quake the first couple of weeks with my psp would have been pretty boring and it still rates as one of the games that I play more than any other.

Considering that the psp is shipped with a pretty poor demo disk (with no playable demos, only movies) homebrew games and emulators give new psp owners a chance to play with thier new toy even if they can't afford the money to pay for a new game.

Aside from this homebrew games give me something else to play other the two games that i've bought since i got my psp which gives me a bit of variety. I have NO interest in ISOs and piracy as they will ultimately kill the psp game market and shut down any new game developement for the system or, at the very least, drive prices for games up.

It is a shame that people who are happy with something are less likely to contact you about it than those who want to complain. Please don't listen to them. Understand that this community values your work and is amazed and thankfull for EVERY hour, minute and second that you've put into this.

You've acted as an excellent model for potential psp homebrew coders, enthusiasts and fans all over the world. If anyone bothers you about this stuff please refer their email to me if you want some moral backup!

Keep up the good work and if there's anything I can do, let me know!

scarface350
December 31st, 2005, 01:36
Dear McZonk,

Firstly, let me say that your work so far has been an absolute godsend. Without quake the first couple of weeks with my psp would have been pretty boring and it still rates as one of the games that I play more than any other.

Considering that the psp is shipped with a pretty poor demo disk (with no playable demos, only movies) homebrew games and emulators give new psp owners a chance to play with thier new toy even if they can't afford the money to pay for a new game.

Aside from this homebrew games give me something else to play other the two games that i've bought since i got my psp which gives me a bit of variety. I have NO interest in ISOs and piracy as they will ultimately kill the psp game market and shut down any new game developement for the system or, at the very least, drive prices for games up.

It is a shame that people who are happy with something are less likely to contact you about it than those who want to complain. Please don't listen to them. Understand that this community values your work and is amazed and thankfull for EVERY hour, minute and second that you've put into this.

You've acted as an excellent model for potential psp homebrew coders, enthusiasts and fans all over the world. If anyone bothers you about this stuff please refer their email to me if you want some moral backup!

Keep up the good work and if there's anything I can do, let me know!
i strongly agree mczonk you should listen to him and everyone else just ignore the ignorant bastards who dont appreciate your work. btw im also thinking of sending you a $20.00 donation. ( too little???)

.:PSP1.0:.
December 31st, 2005, 01:36
I just don't get it... its not only McZonk but i think all Coders should be praised for all the work they do here in the PSP scene i mean if these childish idiots don't like what they see they shouldn't log on here.. If they have nothing good to say they should just STFU and keep their comments to themselves.. I think i can speak for many when i say i love homebrew on the PSP and also when i say.. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MCZONK AND ALL CODERS OUT THERE! :)

.:PSP1.0:.
Australia!!

Screwie5150
December 31st, 2005, 01:56
You can't let those young imature punks talk their talk... they have no idea what the game is about or even have one small clue in their small underdeveloped brains what it takes to port something like that!!!! You Cant Quit!!!! Just ignore it and do what yu do best... :D

Psphreak
December 31st, 2005, 02:21
I think I know who is the one posting all those bad comments! It's Yoshi from SXT!! :P. J/k, in all seriousness though, yes, there may be some games/apps I will never use for homebrew, but you know what? All's good because there are many other people that may find something fun that someone else would find boring. You can NEVER please everybody. If someone bitches about the emulation being slow, it's someone else bitching about how the screen doesn't have a nice GUI. The list goes on and on.

McZonk, just do it because you like it and leave it at that. Don't feel attacked by peoples' comments. I for one think psp coders are the main reason why the psp is still kick ass! Honestly, there has only been around 3 titles even worth mentioning and the damn thing has been out for 9 months!! Keep on coding, and don't let anybody bring you down

bah
December 31st, 2005, 02:23
Have parents stopped teaching their kids not to bite the hand that feeds these days?

Homebrew is the only reason I dont regret buying the psp. Who cares about goddam UMD emulation? There is 1 FPS for the PSP, it is complete crap and costs $80 Australian. This man is GIVING us quake 2, which will be the best FPS on the console, including official releases.

Do you comprehend the difference between your parents buying you a retail game and downloading for free a game that only exists for you due to the hard work of another, whom asked little or nothing in return?

A pat on the back to all coders, and a punch to the face to those who feel the need to share every moronic thaught that their ignorant minds manage to compile into a coherent sentence.

Agh... The only thing keeping these morons from being my reason to hate humanity today is the thankless work of those they're pissing off.

xuphorz
December 31st, 2005, 02:52
@bah - good analyses

@mczonk - keeep up the work! we all love it

@everyone-who-wants-hl-or-cs-instead-of-quake-2 - shut up, and stop whining, port it yourself

PSPdemon
December 31st, 2005, 03:14
All of u are right....McZonk, PLEASE dont give up on making quake 2 or anything else, we need coders like you, and to all the other coders feeling the same way i also appreciate all your hard work. everytime a new hombrew piece come out i donwload and appreciate someones time for making somthing like it. to all the others that talk bad about the coders works...id like to see you make somthing like that.

And to everyone who is going to argue with me. i dont care!!!! its what i feel is right. everyone who doesn't like any homebrew should stay with the psp commercial games and stop talking trash about coders works, but for the rest of us....we'll stick to the homebrew...

ALL PSP CODERS INCLUDING YOU MCZONK NEED TO STAY WITH US AND FORGET ABOUT THE MINDLESS!!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK CODERS AND STAY WITH US PLZ!!!

MaxSMoke
December 31st, 2005, 03:59
I'd hate to sound less then supportive. I'm really looking forward to trying my hand at Q2 modding on the PSP, so I'm very interested in the Quake conversions I've seen. But really, if you're going to let a few little kids get under your skin, maybe you need thicker skin.

I've been through this kind of stuff myself. I've been making mods for Unreal for well over 6 years now, and you're always going to hear some lip from a few ungrateful kiddies with big mouths and bad attitudes. The internet is practically teaming with jerks that love to pick on everybody else's works. You just need to learn to ignore them. If you love what you work on, then it won't matter anyways.

Fortune Cookie says:
"Praise comes sparingly, but criticism is always easy to come by."

Here's a little life advice from somebody that has toiled selflessly for the benefit of others for years now. If you're work on stuff for the praise of others, then you're going to be very unhappy in life. You should work on stuff because you love working on it and you take pride in your labors. As long as you focus on making everything the best it can be, you'll get the respect you deserve.

But if all you're looking for is praise and money, then you shouldn't work on labors of love, such as the PSP Homebrew community. Focus on doing what you love, just ignore all of the rest of the noise. If you love what you work on, then the rest doesn't matter.

ken9
December 31st, 2005, 04:01
ya, people shouldn't be disin' this talented people i mean they made it possible for free games on the psp!

xuphorz
December 31st, 2005, 04:13
true, very true :D

MaxSMoke
December 31st, 2005, 04:56
In a prefect world, one filled with mature and polite people, all selfless creative efforts would rightfully rewarded. People would make critical comments with tack. But likewise, in a prefect world, people would work on labors of love without expectation of praise or reward. This whole thread seems like he's fishing for compliments when he hasn't even released anything yet.

I've only see one Quake conversion that actually had a public release. I was so happy I sent the guy $5 to help support his further efforts. And then he never released anything after that! And yet, there's so many programmers and artists toiling on PSP Homebrew that have never complained about the lack of support for all of their hard work. What is it about Quake that seems to cause so much drama, and yet so little results? I'd love to open a whole thread devoted to it, but apparently I don't have the clearance.

I'd like to post a mini-review of the new "Me and My Katamari" game I just got in the mail today from Japan as well. Here's the long and short of it, "OMG, these Controls suck!".

vassh6563
December 31st, 2005, 05:28
In a prefect world, one filled with mature and polite people, all selfless creative efforts would rightfully rewarded. People would make critical comments with tack. But likewise, in a prefect world, people would work on labors of love without expectation of praise or reward. This whole thread seems like he's fishing for compliments when he hasn't even released anything yet.

I've only see one Quake conversion that actually had a public release. I was so happy I sent the guy $5 to help support his further efforts. And then he never released anything after that! And yet, there's so many programmers and artists toiling on PSP Homebrew that have never complained about the lack of support for all of their hard work. What is it about Quake that seems to cause so much drama, and yet so little results? I'd love to open a whole thread devoted to it, but apparently I don't have the clearance.

I'd like to post a mini-review of the new "Me and My Katamari" game I just got in the mail today from Japan as well. Here's the long and short of it, "OMG, these Controls suck!".

#1 Stop Crying!

#2 Stop wasting space with that off topic review!

MaxSMoke
December 31st, 2005, 06:26
I'm not the one crying who's crying. That's my point. Maybe if you actually read what I had to say, you might know differently. Talk less, read more.

And I don't think 2 sentences is wasting space. I do think this entire thread is a waste of space.

grayjaket
December 31st, 2005, 07:56
than why are you posting on it moron?

PSmonkey
December 31st, 2005, 08:39

What about my quake project. Don't say you're forgetting me. Atleast I have had 2 releases (and a 3rd when i can finish a dang lightmap exporter and rebuilder). :o

Anyways i know who you're talking about. Sadly i am more waiting to hear updates on his ps1 emulator. I would actualy love to carry around my ps1 comercial work on my psp. :)

MaxSMoke
December 31st, 2005, 11:30
Opps, sorry. I must have misread the news posts, I didn't realize you had a playable build available. I thought it was still in closed beta.

Of course I didn't forget about you, PSMonkey! I believe you might be the only person who'll actually get a full Quake engine release functioning on the PSP, and not simply abandon it half-way done, like so many others have.

I have several mod buddies that are interesting in doing a PSP Quake conversion. We're all very excited to see your final build!

bagmouse7
December 31st, 2005, 13:28
The PSP developer scene is bad bacause so few of the users have any idea how much work it is to write code and therefor do not appreciate the effort that goes into writing anything. You should move over to the GP2X or the GP32 scene. There is alot going on over there and it is a great community.
Check it out...

ENGL!SH
December 31st, 2005, 13:29
You shouldn't quit , your work and other coders work is greatly needed and appreciated.
If more coders quit , then $ony will win the fight against homebrew.

PSmonkey
December 31st, 2005, 21:40
Opps, sorry. I must have misread the news posts, I didn't realize you had a playable build available. I thought it was still in closed beta.

Of course I didn't forget about you, PSMonkey! I believe you might be the only person who'll actually get a full Quake engine release functioning on the PSP, and not simply abandon it half-way done, like so many others have.

I have several mod buddies that are interesting in doing a PSP Quake conversion. We're all very excited to see your final build!

Then look forward to my dcemu compo entry in january. The basis of it is simple fps but yet very modable (maps, textures, character models, hopefuly ai). :) Also i will always continue to work on my bsp system untill its a very strong engine anybody can use.