PDA

View Full Version : Newsposting laptop knackered

wraggster
October 2nd, 2008, 21:04
last night whikst chatting to pspdemon my main newsposting laptop started playing up and now half the keys dont work, luckily i still can post on an old laptop but this laptop is as slow as shitt

newsposting will be slower until i can get it ficed or get my pc up and running

one thing or another :(

Shrygue
October 2nd, 2008, 21:27
That's a big shame to hear your usual laptop isn't working properly for you, hope it gets fixed soon.

Eviltaco64
October 2nd, 2008, 21:29
Ah, that sucks man, I can post news for a few days (three-day weekend ftw :)).
Just order a replacement keyboard.

VampDude
October 3rd, 2008, 10:23
USB keyboards work quite well on laptops, wow you should see the state of my keyboard on the laptop I'm using...

....They're not made so good, I have a whole section of the board sticking up where I dropped my phone on it (luckily it still works though looking ugly - I need it fixed though).

Oh, and my last laptops keyboard ceased function when I lived in Central America, though I blame the air there (humid) which it needed a can of air.

Accordion
October 3rd, 2008, 10:39
lucky.

Full on HDD failure for me. Im running off a external drive until the replacement arrives. The internal has vanished.

Apple makes installing hdds in Macbook Pro load of fun…*i get to take it apart!

VampDude
October 3rd, 2008, 13:13
Im running off a external drive

I always run from an Ext.HD, I have 2 currently connected to my laptop (an 80GB and a 250GB - though when I get a bigger one I can use just 1). :)

Accordion
October 3rd, 2008, 16:23
I always run from an Ext.HD, I have 2 currently connected to my laptop (an 80GB and a 250GB - though when I get a bigger one I can use just 1). :)

kinda kills the portable aspect though.

I was planning to upgrade to a 320gb internal soon so its not so bad, the fact the stock drive vanished over night is strange however, no warnings. I tried to turn it on yesterday, nothing. Ran Disk Utility from DVD,no drive.
Many thanks to SuperDuper!

If i find its the SATA connection gone bust i might just cry.

VampDude
October 4th, 2008, 01:23
It kills every aspect of the laptop being portable, it currently isn't because it's now where my PC once was.

Stock drives, compared to hard drives in PC's are expensive. I mean £100 for 160GB whereas a normal PC hard drive of 160GB is £39.99. HP have made it easy to replace the HD with an unscrewable flap that I presume the disk is located under (it says HP DriveGuard) if I require to do so, they made the whole thing idiot proof which I'm assuming that if I go by the pictures by each screw I can remove that part (the last laptop I owned didn't have these).

PICTURE:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/vampdude/DCEmu/laptopnfjifjifjfjijfidjidfidjfidjfi.png

They did the same with every other part, the keyboard has a keyboard icon, the WiFi also has an icon (which is slightly blurred on the above picture), and also the DVD drive has an icon. Which all are accompanied by screws (pictured below), which leads me to believe this laptop is somewhat upgradable from the pre-build.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/vampdude/DCEmu/laptopscrewsandwhatnot.png