PDA

View Full Version : DSi Won't Replace The DS Lite (At Least Not In The US)

wraggster
October 4th, 2008, 22:36
The DS Lite was a replacement for the DS. Came in, took over the place, you never saw the DS Phat again. So will the DSi do the same thing to the DS Lite? Not in the US, says Nintendo Smile Machine Cammie Dunaway:

Right now we’re still working through what the strategy's going to be here. But we think that there's huge untapped potential for the DS Lite. Because when you’ve got only one in every five households in the U.S., compared to one in every two in Japan, it says there's potential.
You’ve seen some of the work we’ve done this year with celebrities, that we're bringing a lot of new consumers in to the DS. So I think there’s opportunity for both of them to coexist for some period of time.

You know, I still have nothing but a DS Phat. And when I see statements like this, I feel like the world's just passing me by...

http://kotaku.com/5058975/dsi-wont-replace-the-ds-lite-at-least-not-in-the-us

gutbub
October 5th, 2008, 00:14
You know, it's like we're currently in a recession, heading for a depression. Oh wait, we are. People aren't gonna buy a DS Lite, when the option is it, or pay their bills. Nintendo is crazy, huge untapped potential my ass.

Lastron
October 5th, 2008, 10:29
im sure that ds phat has longer battery time than lite...

agenericperson
October 5th, 2008, 17:19
I think it's a kick to the jaw to expect one DS for one person. It's clear they've been trying this for a while. Mario Kart DS only has one save... So not only do they want us to have one console to ourselves but they don't want people using each others games.

Passwords were a pain but at least a potentially infinite number of people could play the same game without their progress being affected by the other players.

linkenski
October 5th, 2008, 17:41
Nintendo are really stupid if they would make it replace DSL, cuz all games that req slot-2 device for either Motion, or GH grip, will be unplayable then.

Grey Acumen
October 5th, 2008, 17:57
Will people please stop bitching about this? The DS lite replaced the DS phat. Why? Because it has all the same capabilities, and the only downside was that the GBA game stuck out a little. Not really a big deal. It also added 4 brightness settings and was significantly smaller with a much larger stylus. It was clearly everything the DS phat was, but better.

DSi and DS lite are NOT THE SAME THING. At the very MOST DSi and DS lite will be running in tandem, much like how Xbox has both Arcade and Elite models out for the 360, except both the DSi AND the DS lite will have advantages that the other doesn't have. This will allow them to appeal to different types of consumers. The DSi will very likely only be marketed towards the people who ONLY play brain age and nintendog games. Meanwhile companies will continue to develop their games to work on both whenever possible and likely still continue to come out with games that support rumble or some other slot 2 device whenever it's played on a DS lite. Some games may even have optional features for BOTH.
Heck, wasn't there a GBA camera that came out a while ago? I bet it could be accessed from Slot 2 so that any games that use the camera from the DSi could also let you do the same thing from the DS lite as well. It's unlikely that company would bother, unless they plastered "extra features when played on DSi or using GBA camera!" over the box.