View Full Version : Sega to launch PSP beater in 2009

wraggster
October 4th, 2008, 23:00
Exclusive Sega will next year launch a portable media player boasting enough functionality to threaten Sony’s PlayStation Portable, the Register Hardware can exclusively reveal.

The PMP is to be called the Sega Vision and it’ll work as a videogames machine, in addition to playing films. The unit will feature an integrated camera for capturing still images and video. A built-in TV tuner will provide yet another form of entertainment.

Sega Vision may also threaten Sony’s Reader range of e-book viewers, because books are listed as one of Vision’s features. The Sega PMP will also handle music and work as a voice recorder.

Sadly, none of the machine’s technical specifications have been revealed yet, such as which music formats it’ll support, whether there’ll be on-board storage or how many megapixels the camera will have.

Sega told us that Vision will be launched in the UK at some point early next year, but a price hasn’t been set yet.

However, if you like what you've heard, then a handful of working models – believed to be the only ones in existence in the UK – are currently sitting in a central London arcade waiting to be won.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/03/sega_vision/

ICE
October 4th, 2008, 23:03
Wha!!?

EDIT:
xoDlDhyhgBI

You couldnt game on that..

Eviltaco64
October 5th, 2008, 01:46
Please be true.
Sega, come back and make a damn console as well!

Saracchini
October 5th, 2008, 02:16
It is much far from a "PSP beater".
1)Apparently it dont offers any way to run homebrew... except for Java applications.
2)It does not appears suitable to a intensive gaming like PSP and DS.
3)If it is small like a credit card probabily will be worse than PSP to see movies and text.
4)Any Wi-fi capabilities ? I did not saw any.

Apparently is a good PMP device, much better than a lot of chinese ones, but not a gaming device at all.

goity
October 5th, 2008, 02:38
...that's just a chinese pmp that's been scribbled on in paint...

paul3100
October 5th, 2008, 18:56
Lol

Psp beater, its not going to be too difficult is it with the lack of psp games and the constant downward spiral of psp sales!

Sega had a good name for its self once and im sure they could again with a lot of hard work from them, guess we will need to wait and see though.

On the other hand after looking at that video above it makes it sound like a mix between cheap mp3 player and a mobile phone , or perhaps a cheap mp4 player.

Well i hope it does good anyway as i still have fond memory's of sega from the old days

paul

goity
October 5th, 2008, 19:48
Actually PSP hardware sales have always been very good (apart from recently with people waiting for the 3000). But thos obviously isn't real anyway...

jamotto
October 5th, 2008, 19:57
The PSP as a PMP is better than this thing.

DrNicket
October 5th, 2008, 22:44
TV Tuner? what like the Game Gear? I'm not sure what is happening in the UK, but over here, analog TV broadcasts cease in the US as of 2009. What good would a wireless TV Tuner do then? Even if it were digital, there likely won't be many over-the-air digital channels... let alone any you'd want to watch.

It doesn't seem to real, but that shouldn't stop us from hoping.

Also, Why would they be in UK Crane machines if they're not released yet? or is it just advertising and not the product?

Darksaviour69
October 6th, 2008, 10:05
analog is being turn off in the uk 2009-2012 (different times in different places). Also there are a ton of freeview channels about 20, including all the BBCs

Tachikoma_Pilot
October 8th, 2008, 10:32
I'd buy it ...