PDA

View Full Version : Game Devs Using One-Time Bonuses to Fight Used Game Sales

wraggster
October 5th, 2008, 22:43
ShackNews reports on an emerging trend which sees game publishers offer one-time bonus codes to unlock extra content for certain titles. Rock Band 2, for example, comes with a code which will allow free 20-song download, but is only usable once. NBA Live '09 has functionality to update team rosters on a daily basis, but will only do so for the original owner. "'This information and data is very valuable and it wasn't free for us,' an EA representative explained on Operation Sports. 'T-Mobile is paying for it this year for all users who buy the game new. This is a very expensive tool to use, and if you don't buy it new, then you'll have to pay for this. It isn't greed at all.'"

http://games.slashdot.org/games/08/10/04/2256213.shtml

gutbub
October 5th, 2008, 23:50
I think that's a fair way for developers to fight against used games. I would still prefer that they just lower their prices after a reasonable amount of time, but this works too. Instead of punishing used game buyers, they reward new game buyers. Yet, I'm sure somebody is going to post how this is unfair.

osgeld
October 6th, 2008, 00:11
so you get a crappy coupon, download your bonus content, your 360 goes red, you send it off, along with your content and your screwed

also it cost a fortune, which is (drumroll please) passed on to you, the yahoo who bought it new

its just punishing everyone, and dammit its my right to sell my property if i want to

i dont see ford swooping down and removing options on used cars

Jeric
October 6th, 2008, 04:13
Sounds fair...ish to an extent. However said bonus content should NOT be something that second hand users can't get. Like the example of rockband's free downloads, thats acceptable. EA's roster update for the original owner only however, is not, in my eyes anyway.

pibs
October 6th, 2008, 04:15
I usually buy their games new anyways but treating the consumer like they don't deserve something is childish. They are being greedy, what in the hell are they talking about! Does that guy realize he is working for EA? The same company that releases the same ****ing sports game every year with a few modifications in names and dates..... and don't kid yourself the same thing is happening with the Rock Band franchise.

Sounds fair...ish to an extent. However said bonus content should NOT be something that second hand users can't get. Like the example of rockband's free downloads, thats acceptable. EA's roster update for the original owner only however, is not, in my eyes anyway.
Yeah I feel the same way, Harmonics did that as a thanks to people who purchased their game and not having the 20 songs wouldn't really affect the overall gameplay(I see it as a reward lol). On the other hand the whole roster thing is totally unfair because in a sports game you'd expect it to be there when u purchased it, be it new or second hand.

Jeric
October 6th, 2008, 04:38
Always hated exclusive rare bits that maybe FIVE users outside of japan would have because of the region centric nature of the contests to unlock/fetch said content. Maybe that's why I feel 'new user bonuses people who find the game in the 'used' section can't ever EVER /EVER/ have' things turn me off on company behavior.

purinlove88
October 6th, 2008, 08:37
They should charge license fees for those who run a used game business.

DCRich
October 6th, 2008, 08:53
They should charge license fees for those who run a used game business.

Are you kidding me? so what, if you want to sell or trade in your old game to EB, does that mean you should pay the license fee? I'm sorry, but that makes little to no sense.

As far as this whole thing goes, I'm with most. The Rockband 2 part makes sense, the sports title one is a load of shit, and ea can suck it. All they are doing is re-hashing an old game; updating the graphics, stats, and engine a bit to "warrant" the purchase of their used engine.

bah
October 6th, 2008, 09:52
They're trying to work within the doctrine of first sale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine), reducing the desirability of used games without preventing their sale.

Personally I dont like it, but what can you do other than not purchase the games that do this?
At least on the PS3, there's plenty of room on the disc for fitting a LOT of compressed music that can be 'unlocked'.

NOCHUCK
October 6th, 2008, 10:29
I really hate this idea, you already made your chunk of change off the first sale, now you need to make money off the second and possibly 3rd. how about you lower your games price to 35-40 instead of 60 and instead of lookin at it as lossing 20 a sale you'll sell a bunch more units to to make up for your profit loss, you'll devalue the game on the secondary market to where people won't really wanna sell it because gamestop is gonna give you like $4 for it. If I let my buddies borrow my madden should I throw a dollar in an envelope and mail it to EA? The 8 million units you sold weren't enouph for a game thats gonna be worth $15 dollars next year? Next it'll be movie companies locking dvd extras because the $300,000,000 they made isn't enouph and used dvd sales are killin em! This needs to stop now before it gets outta hand.

Also I've got no problem with the rock band thing cause that kinda like a bonus, obviously you can't give everyone the free 20 songs because it's based on a code system but the people not being able to update thier rosters is a stupid idea that I hope no company follows.

jamotto
October 6th, 2008, 10:56
No need for this they already have their best weapon, digital distribution.

gutbub
October 6th, 2008, 14:31
Why does everybody keep referring to the NBA game. Maybe everybody should go back and re read it. It says that it is free to people who buy it new. If you buy it used, then you have to pay for it yourself. It does not say that you can't use it, just that you must buy it yourself. It's the same as the Rockband 20 free songs. Only those who buy it new get the 20 free songs, anybody who buys it used has to purchase the songs themselves.

What if EA didn't include the roster thing to begin with, and it was an add on, if it was DLC. Then nobody would get it free, would that make everybody feel better?

Qmark
October 6th, 2008, 14:54
If I buy a car from Ford, I'm free to sell it whenever I see fit to whomever I see fit. However, I'm he one that got the Roadside assistance and free tire rotation.

slug349
October 6th, 2008, 19:31
They've got it half right. If they want to eliminate piracy and the used game problem, simply offer the game for free. You get one level/song/etc included, to try the game first. You can then download more content/tracks/levels/songs if you like the game. This will also eliminate a lot of 'lemon' games that suck and/or encourage the developers to release higher quality games.

The only problem is how you get the free version. You can't download it and burn it because of Nintendo's protection. And retailers want to make money on sales so they aren't willing to give stuff away for no profit. Maybe embedded into the registration code is the retailer id, who then gets a cut of any future online purchases. Or maybe sell the games for like $5. Or get Nintendo to create a new channel for downloading demos.

Also, how many times have you finished a great game and wanted more? If more content/levels were available for my favorite games, I sure would be forking over more money. They can call this new licensing structure something like 'ShareWare'.

DCRich
October 7th, 2008, 02:14
Why does everybody keep referring to the NBA game. Maybe everybody should go back and re read it. It says that it is free to people who buy it new. If you buy it used, then you have to pay for it yourself. It does not say that you can't use it, just that you must buy it yourself. It's the same as the Rockband 20 free songs. Only those who buy it new get the 20 free songs, anybody who buys it used has to purchase the songs themselves.

What if EA didn't include the roster thing to begin with, and it was an add on, if it was DLC. Then nobody would get it free, would that make everybody feel better?

One thing about this though, is that rosters have been a free download for ea sports games for some time, and the consumer expects it now. To not give it would be bad PR with their fans, and possibly cause them not to buy future products, new or used.

if they don't want people to buy games used, make the more affordable. They would drastically increase their sales if games cost no more than $40. Besides, since when has buying games used been a problem to the multi-billion dollar industry??! Hello! it's bigger than its ever been. Get a clue developers!