PDA

View Full Version : Quake II PSP - #?$%&

wraggster
January 2nd, 2006, 10:57
The latest Quake 2 Port to PSP update by McZonk:

Why is the headline #?$%& ? Because this time you have to read the text to find out what is really new in Quake II PSP and it is a lot. I have decided not to post news as often as I did before: That's a compromise, because i really thought about stop posting news. But I don't want disapoint the people waiting wishfully for the release.
But at first I want to thank everyone how wrote a nice comment in my blog or in one of the boards, you make me belive in the work. Thanks to everyone how buys a good game instead of playing iso rip. Thanks to everyone how writes homebrew for the psp, just one little word of criticism: do we really need more lua shells :) Thanks to everyone how supports the psp scene.
So what is new in quake 2. I added a lot of effects like sprites and beams/rays. Both effects are needed by the bfg.

There are tons of new stuff in the last days. But one word about Quake II PSP firmware 2.0 compatiblity: No. I talked to fanjita about the aviliable memory. This guy did an awesome work with the eboot loader, but Quake 2 will not run on 2.0. Perhaps if I reduce the memory usage (there is still a lot of memory wasting).
Another new feature is linear texture filtering. Nothing special because it is hardware based but it looks much better with it enabled. If the player moves it reduces the flicker of textures in the back and reduce the smoothness of textures near to the player.

The really impressing about the texture filtering is. That the png files of the screenshots are much bigger than before :) Because a 256 color palette is not enough anymore. I added a fade screen to the menu so you see the game in the backgound of the menu. Another senseless feature I added was the handness of the player.

Here are two more screenshots of quake. Without words and without sense :D

And here is the big fish. As you can see in the psp hacking 101 episode 10 video, Quake II was not playable. You could only playback demos. If you don't have watched psp hacking 101, stop reading and watch it, because you can learn stuff, the show is funny and you can see the first Quake II video.
Rehbock, one of my testers and the designer of the small maps, mentioned out, that you can already start single player games with the help of the console. I added all stuff for movement and you can play Quake II now.
So I could release Quake 2 now, but there are to much bugs and I would get tons mails from people having problems and cannot read an faq. We already discussed the psp community is full of newbs. So you have to wait some more days.

Screenshots and more via comments:

wraggster
January 2nd, 2006, 10:58
Forgot to mention theres a video out there too:

Mirrors
http://zcom.sytes.net/psp/q2-singleplayer.mp4
http://libsyn.com/media/pox/Ep11_Quake2.mp4

buker007
January 2nd, 2006, 11:59
and where can we download it? not video but quake 2

MGFox
January 2nd, 2006, 12:06
Well, I now regret upgrading to 2.00! Still, good work on the port, it looks absolutely amazing!

@buker007: If you had read all of the post, you'd know that it hasn't been released yet:

So I could release Quake 2 now, but there are to much bugs and I would get tons mails from people having problems and cannot read an faq. We already discussed the psp community is full of newbs. So you have to wait some more days.

Cheers,
Fox

Mew
January 2nd, 2006, 12:15
and where can we download it? not video but quake 2
oh man, shut up and wait! ;)

It's looking so AWESOME Zonk o______o... I can't wait for the first public release :E !! :D
One question: What will be exactly playable in the first release? First q2 episode? A Demo episode? Any Wireless Multiplayer option yet?
I'm just a litte ( :D ) corious about that.
Hmm..... Mod-functionality (like in Doom) would be a bomb! :eek:

Oh man.... I love the quake series :E....
Is there a way to port q3 too? There is no, is it?

btw: Thanks for developing us such a nice port! You rock, dude http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

shiftybill
January 2nd, 2006, 12:24
It is good to hear it's still moving forward and the day i can play it is still creeping ever closer!

mcmonkey
January 2nd, 2006, 13:45
im looking forward to this, looks like another reason for me to downgrade :)

Tomppa
January 2nd, 2006, 15:39
Good job, at this speed it's finished soon ;)

kaoss-b
January 2nd, 2006, 16:21
Excellent job!! Looks amazing :)

PSPworshiper
January 2nd, 2006, 16:51
I might downgrade now.

dragaron
January 2nd, 2006, 17:24
just one little word of criticism: do we really need more lua shells :)

Considering I am currently working on one, YES we do! And Quake is looking awesome by the way...

tryqus
January 2nd, 2006, 17:34
Ok well this settles it. Im going to downgrade back to 1.5

But I have yet to find a thread that deals with the success rate of this downgrader? Has anyone bricked with this thing?

All i can say for sure is that I miss homebrew ~cry~

-Tryqus

kaoss-b
January 2nd, 2006, 18:23
I'm currently running 2.0 but I had already downgraded once and there was no problem at all (I never read of someone breaking their psp with the downgrader)... I'm also getting back to 1.5 soon :d

Games like this port of Quake 2 are dreams made real...

CalvinDu
January 2nd, 2006, 19:58
Keep the up the great work, this is easily the homebrew project that I'm most looking foward too.

But I have yet to find a thread that deals with the success rate of this downgrader? Has anyone bricked with this thing?

-Tryqus
I've downgraded my cousin's PSP successfully following hackaday's guide.

Cap'n 1time
January 3rd, 2006, 01:03
!@#$@!#$

.:PSP1.0:.
January 3rd, 2006, 05:01
Damm! From those last shots it looks like it'll be worth the few extra days wait to get everything perfect! Man i hope (i know its a far shot) after the Quake 2 port is released that McZonk will keep making ports as he has so much talent!

AtariFreek
January 3rd, 2006, 05:12
It's People Like McZonk That Make Our PSP Filled World A Better,Brighter Place :D

MadMonkee
January 3rd, 2006, 08:40

-Tryqus

I downgraded and upgraded 8 times so far... never had any horrible problems. Only once I had the PSP so it wouldn't go into sleep mode, it would restart completely instead. I noticed the flash1 was corrupted. So I reset to default factory settings and boom, crisp. It's not possible for it to be screwed up anyways, Sony intended this machine to have a flashable bios and it's simply being used that way. However you MUST follow the instructions through...

The downgrader simply makes the PSP believe it's version 1.00 so it accepts to upgrade to 1.50 The whole upgrading (err downgrading) is the default Sony process so you can trust it. In the end of the process the program checks the flash1 and sees that it's not supposed to be that way so it stops at 99%. Because the last 1% is the setting of the flash1, by that time flash0 is already completed. You hard-reset it gives the "Settings corrupted" blue screen and you simply fix it afterwards by pressing O. I would however still go manually to settings and reset to factory defaults just to be on the safe side.

tommyistommy
January 3rd, 2006, 16:10
Oh my god dude you are amazing. I will downgrade for this, don't sweat the no 2.0. I love quake 2, it will be the best shooter on psp!

Nono-O
January 4th, 2006, 07:12
looks nice, very nice