PDA

View Full Version : DSi software will be region-locked, confirms Nintendo

Shrygue
October 6th, 2008, 15:59
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/dsi-software-will-be-region-locked-confirms-nintendo)

Nintendo has confirmed that software specifically created for the DSi will be region-locked, with European, North American and Japanese software only working on consoles designed for their specific regions.

Previous DS and GameBoy hardware has been region-free, allowing users to purchase US or Japanese software and play it on a European handheld.

Nintendo told our sister site Eurogamer.net this afternoon that the DSi is region locked "because DSi embeds net communication functionality within itself and we are intending to provide net services specifically tailored for each region".

The company added: "Also because we are including parental control functionality for Nintendo DSi and each region has its unique age limit made by different independent bodies."

This only applies to software that is compatible exclusively with the DSi - existing DS software remains region-free. Internet browsing and photo sharing also works globally.

It's worth noting that Nintendo's statement refers to "software" rather than "games". GamesIndustry.biz is seeking further clarification from Nintendo.

A lucrative retail market currently exists catering to early adopters and consumers keen to import Japanese and US titles often released far earlier in those regions than in Europe.

royvedas
October 6th, 2008, 19:08
Die, Nintendo, Diiiiieeee!!!!

Lastron
October 6th, 2008, 19:10
im keepin mi old ds.

Okami_Ninja
October 6th, 2008, 20:15
have had my V.0001 DS Phat since the release date in 04 and with every bit of news that comes out about the DSi im glad i kept it, because this new ds as nice as the new features seem to be just gets more and more disapointing. Lets just hope sony doesnt folow in suit and make a lousy PSP2 when n if one comes out ;p

gutbub
October 6th, 2008, 21:09
What kind of bull shit is that? They didn't anger people enough when they got rid of the GBA slot? Besides, they said software, which I expect them put on SD cards, not DS cartridges.

db73
October 6th, 2008, 21:19
A real shame. I'm in the UK & in the past I've bought imported US games. It's nice to be able to buy them when they're released in the States rather than waiting months for them to arrive in Europe. I won't be able to do this with the DSi & any new cards for it by the way this sounds. What's the alternative? Piracy I suppose. This thing will be cracked & region free before we know it. Nintendo won't know what hit them! It will be their own fault. They made the bed. They'll have to sleep in it.

Akoi Meexx
October 6th, 2008, 21:27
Yeah, that's the straw that broke me back. C'mon Ninty, what the hell?

Flygon
October 6th, 2008, 22:23
This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Region locking on a portable console? They may as well loose money from Australians buying American software when they visit.

wiggy fuzz
October 6th, 2008, 22:47
wait, so there WILL be dsi exclusive software?

so much for the dsi and the ds lite coexisting peacfully...

iofthestorm
October 7th, 2008, 00:57
I'm thinking this is referring to downloadable DSWare titles, which makes sense since the stores are likely set up in the same way as the Wii stores. And in any case, you know that some homebrewer is going to find a region free hack within a few months of release. Gotta love homebrew.

db73
October 7th, 2008, 01:09
And in any case, you know that some homebrewer is going to find a region free hack within a few months of release. Gotta love homebrew.
It won't take long at all. Everyone who is into this stuff is going to be trying to hack the DSi as soon it's in the shops. Nintendo making it region-locked? Well, that's just like waving a red cape at these guys. It's just more for them to get their teeth into. Region-locked my arse! There's no such thing in this day & age. C'mon Nintendo. It's 2008. Before to long hackers will be programming DSi's to remotely take control of Nintendo employess & get them to do shit that we actually want :thumbup:

Aryn
October 7th, 2008, 07:11
"I'm thinking this is referring to downloadable DSWare titles, which makes sense since the stores are likely set up in the same way as the Wii stores."

I have to ask, how does making software that is downloaded from online stores region locked make any sense? If anything this will harm profits and there will be no actual benefit to Nintendo or their customers.

And about parental control, chances are the majority of DSi units will be purchased in retail stores so can't Nintendo just program the game systems accordingly instead of implementing region locks? I mean, if you can program a game system to only work in one region than why not just change the age group for the parental lock instead? It is not more difficult.

And this is referring to software as well, and what about added features? People who live in one area will be missing out on what others already have, or have to wait for it. This is not fair and once again does not benefit anybody.

At any rate, I will certainly wait until the DSi is hacked before purchasing it, no sense purchasing a console that refuses to play some of the games you put into it.

As for the GBA slot, it is not a big loss. As Nintendo already stated, the DSi will still play DS games, and all that is really lost are a bunch of games that are not really much better than those released in the 16 bit era. If you will miss those then you can always keep your old DS, and perhaps awhile after the DSi is hacked one of the Gameboy emulators could be ported over to the DSi.

gamev8
October 7th, 2008, 07:49
By the prickling of my thumb something wicked this way comes. :mad:

policrat
October 7th, 2008, 08:29
60, 70, 80 dollar DS games aren't going anywhere. Bliss.

At least modding it will be legal in this country, if that means anything.

Flygon
October 7th, 2008, 09:51
60, 70, 80 dollar DS games aren't going anywhere. Bliss.

At least modding it will be legal in this country, if that means anything.

Indeed, its even much cheaper to buy a flash cart and 2gb Micro SD card here than a DS game.

Jeric
October 7th, 2008, 17:25
All I can think to say is 'great way to give your customer base a kick in the nuts'. After all one of the reasons i liked nintendo's handhelds were the fact that they're region free. Seriously not liking what i"m hearing o far. However I'm still keeping an open mind due to potential homebrew capabilities. I'm just becomming a bit bitter at the idea.

Still, the fact that DS games will work leaves me hopeful that they haven't done anything to lock out current homebrew carts. Plus, as has been stated earlier, homebrewers will find a way. Sadly this also gives pirates a feeling of legitimacy in cracking titles before they're officially released in their country of choice. Pity.

db73
October 8th, 2008, 12:41
Still, the fact that DS games will work leaves me hopeful that they haven't done anything to lock out current homebrew carts.
I'd imagine that they would try to lock those cards out because of the problem of piracy associated with them. What Nintendo should do is embrace the homebrew scene & have an area on the new web site dedicated to it. Writers might even be able to make a little money out of their hard work. I'd happily pay for Colors for example. Awesome program that. Also GlitchDS, RepeaterDS & CellDS are awesome, creative sound manipulating tools. I'd pay for those as well.