View Full Version : Download games key to DSi appeal, says Pachter

Shrygue
October 7th, 2008, 19:08
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198823)

Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter's told CVG that the new DSi's ability to download games could play a crucial role in expanding Nintendo's user base.

"[I] suspect that broader appeal will ultimately be determined by the quantity and quality of downloadable content," he told us. "If we see games like Boingz and Tetris (new Wii Ware games) exported to the DSi, or see new innovations that use the camera, I think it will be a game changer."

Nintendo announced the DSi last week, the new SKU packing in a number of new features not offered by previous DS models, including a web browser, direct access to a DSi download store and a 0.3 megapixel camera.

The analyst also responded to comments made by John Koller, Sony's US director of hardware marketing, who earlier suggested that the DSi might not be enough to help Nintendo expand its user base beyond the children's market.

"I think that the core of the user base is between 6 and 18 (probably 75% of active users), so Koller isn't that far off," Pachter said. "The biggest reason for Western users over 18 to buy a DS is the games - like Brain Age - that appeal to older users.

"The camera feature, brighter screens, thinner case, etc. are nice to have, but don't magically make my mom want to have one. I don't see how the device suddenly appeals to adults unless Nintendo is able to demonstrate that the camera feature allows for more sophisticated game play."

Nintendo yesterday confirmed to CVG that all DSi-only software would be region locked.