PDA

View Full Version : PSPdisp v0.1 - use your Playstation Portable as an additional monitor under Windows.

wraggster
October 7th, 2008, 21:17
News/release from JJS (http://jjs.at/software/pspdisp.html)

Information
So what is this about? Well, it basically gives you an additional monitor with a 960x544 resolution (four times the area of the PSP display). There are four components working together, on Windows a display driver, an usb driver and the interface application which captures the screen, compresses it and sends it over USB to the PSP. On the PSP side there is an application that decompresses the frames and displays them. All settings are adjustable from the Windows side, the PSP really only acts as a passive display.

Requirements
PSP: Either slim or phat model running a custom firmware (tested on CFW 4.01 M33).

PC: Reasonably modern PC (Pentium 4 / Athlon64 or above) running a 32 Bit version of Windows XP. It may work under Windows 2000, but it is untested. 64 bit versions are not supported, as well as Windows Vista. I would like to provide a Vista version but it will probably never happen due to the changes in the display driver model regarding multi-monitor support.

Installation
Windows application, drivers, etc.

Download the installer below and execute it.
When it comes to the display driver installation, Windows will warn you that the driver is unsigned, let the setup program install it anyway.
After setup has finished, open your display settings and enable the new monitor then move it to the position you like.
Connect your PSP and copy the files from the "psp" folder in the installation directory to the memory stick.

Compiling the source
The whole project needs three different compilers / IDEs, fortunately all of them are available for free on the net. Note that the setup process for them will take a while and is rather involved.

The display driver needs the Microsoft WDK (Windows Driver Kit).

Building the Windows application requires Borland Turbo Delphi.

The PSPSDK (PSP toolchain) is needed for compiling the Playstation Portable application. I use the PSPSDK for Windows.

Possible enhancements
There are quite a lot actually:

Make an installer that can create hardware nodes and therefore install the non-plug-and-play display driver (maybe from the devcon source)
Use information from the display driver to only redraw "invalidated" parts of the screen.
Reduce CPU usage by using other compression methods (or do parts of the compression on the GPU).
Make the application survive the unplugging of the PSP while the display function is enabled (currently hangs the application both on Windows and the PSP).

Demo video
A short video demonstration is available on Youtube and embedded below. It shows the relative smoothness of the Winamp visualisation and the transparent integration into windows. Also features switching between stretched drawing and mouse following mode.

http://www.youtube.com/v/IqX-8ckC6J4

Download and Give feedback Via Comments

pspmodel1001
October 7th, 2008, 21:42
Cool, going to try it out.

ICE
October 7th, 2008, 22:09
Thats pretty sweet. Im not sure how useful it will be though.

pt9087
October 7th, 2008, 22:55
Pretty good, but this was done about a year ago, and also you could move the mouse with the PSP wirelessly. But this resolution is way better, still good tho :D

brasssmunky
October 8th, 2008, 04:13
the other thing wasnt very good
but it was wifi
it was slow, and buggy

Uberman
October 8th, 2008, 05:08
That's very slick, JJS. Way to go! :thumbup:

Not sure what I'd use it for, but someone will think of something cool, I'm sure. :)

**1_Man_Matrix**
October 8th, 2008, 06:50
So... Half-life 2 on PSP!

Nah, I'm not that excited, but might be cool to check out what can and can't execute, later on :)

Walker
October 8th, 2008, 10:28
Silent Hill 3 :)

carlitx
October 8th, 2008, 16:12
i love it :D works great. great job man!

greed626
October 9th, 2008, 00:09
First off i'd like to say, what a wonderful app you created. very well done. interface is simple and great options.

There is a few things i'd like to suggest for future releases.

1. As said above, WiFi is a must to have to remotely view your computer desktop

2. ability to right click (Edit: i found my windows overlay program called windows blinds, made the menu's not appear. right click does indeed work!)

3. use analog stick to move mouse with abiity to map psp controls to mouse as well. so like X = left click, O = right click, sholder buttons = alt tab for moving between programs fast

carlitx
October 9th, 2008, 01:18
First off i'd like to say, what a wonderful app you created. very well done. interface is simple and great options.

There is a few things i'd like to suggest for future releases.

1. As said above, WiFi is a must to have to remotely view your computer desktop

2. ability to right click (Edit: i found my windows overlay program called windows blinds, made the menu's not appear. right click does indeed work!)

3. use analog stick to move mouse with abiity to map psp controls to mouse as well. so like X = left click, O = right click, sholder buttons = alt tab for moving between programs fast

dude... i doubt wifi would be faster than usb, the right click works but you know that. and you cannot map buttons on the psp to do such a thing... it only acts as a second monitor. So it is like have 2 LCD screens instead of 1...

jaws365
October 9th, 2008, 02:30
That look great!!! If it is ported to OS X, then I could use my two old Powerbooks with damaged screen, once again. I uess that is a far shot thinking that even will not be available for Vista.

DestroyerIX
October 9th, 2008, 02:45
hmm for some reason it won't let me install the display driver .... the device manger says that the driver will be uninstalled after reboot

edit: ah ok got it the psp must be connected to pc when installing the driver

edit2: great windows just deinstalled it for no reason -.-

Kevyboy014
October 10th, 2008, 04:00
Great application! Worked great for me. I say worked because it isn't anymore, and I can't figure out why.

When I try to start up the PSPDisp program for the computer, it gives me the error "Please install the PSPDisp display driver before starting this application"

Now, this wouldn't be so bad, except that I had it working before. It's really annoying me right now, so if someone could give me the step by step, it would help a lot...

Thanks all

EDIT: I should also mention that in the device manager, the drivers look like they're installed. When I go into display properties, however, I have nothing but my usual two monitor setup.

halo9449
December 7th, 2008, 23:22
Here's a clever use of this app that my friend shared with me:
http://www.angusrigby.co.uk/files/Playing%20TF2%20on%20Your%20PSP.pdf
I've tried it out, and it worked great in Team Fortress 2 (minor, minor lag, but hey, it's playable!)
In fact, I haven't played TF2 in the past month as much as I have today on my PSP...
Sad thing is that you need two PSPs for TF2 to work right on it... Thank God one of my UMD Drives burned out a couple months after I got the first one so I got another PSP...

Also, I suddenly started having the exact same trouble as kevyboy... Why does this happen?! It's done this to me on TWO COMPUTERS.

daxterrulz
December 8th, 2008, 03:42
Here's a clever use of this app that my friend shared with me:
http://www.angusrigby.co.uk/files/Playing%20TF2%20on%20Your%20PSP.pdf
I've tried it out, and it worked great in Team Fortress 2 (minor, minor lag, but hey, it's playable!)
In fact, I haven't played TF2 in the past month as much as I have today on my PSP...
Sad thing is that you need two PSPs for TF2 to work right on it... Thank God one of my UMD Drives burned out a couple months after I got the first one so I got another PSP...

Also, I suddenly started having the exact same trouble as kevyboy... Why does this happen?! It's done this to me on TWO COMPUTERS.

hey, would i be able to run Halo CE on my psp using this setup?

that would be awesome cuz not a lot of buttons are needed to play halo, making using the psp controls very easy...

Art
December 8th, 2008, 04:53
No luck installing the Windows display driver here...

Cevius
December 13th, 2008, 03:46
Yeah, this is one of the best things ever.

I would like to see some kind of mouse/keyboard control at a later stage, but what you have already is pretty epic.

Possibly the option to set the psp monitor to 480 x 272 rez would be neat, just incase I feel the need for a tiny 1:1 quality screen with no panning required. It might make it run a little bit faster too.