PDA

View Full Version : A new Quake port

PeterM
January 5th, 2006, 14:37
Hello,

I am happy to release the first version of my port of Quake to the PSP. Hopefully some people will enjoy it.

Here is the readme:

Quake for PSP
=============

Peter Mackay
5th Jan 2006

Introduction
------------

This is a port of id Software's Quake to the PSP. There's already an excellent port out there by PacManFan, but I wanted to code something for the PSP and it was a good project. I also wanted to port from the original id source, instead of the PocketQuake source.

Features
--------

The following is working fine:
- Software rendering.
- Sound.

Things missing:
- WLAN support for network play. Nobody I know has a PSP, so I can't implement this.
- Hardware rendering. I have no PSP GU experience, so it'll take a while to do.

Installation
------------

This game is for PSPs with firmware versions 1.0 or 1.5. To get it running on other versions, you will need to up/downgrade your firmware appropriately. Unfortunately I don't have a v1.0 PSP, so I can only hope that it works on that version of the firmware.

It almost definitely won't work with a v2.00 EBOOT loader.

Installation instructions:
1. READ THE CONTROLS SECTION BELOW.
2. Firmware v1.0 users:
Copy the Quake folder from the 1.0 folder to the PSP/GAME folder on your PSP.
Firmware v1.5 users:
Copy the Quake and Quake% folders from the 1.5 folder to the PSP/GAME folder on your PSP.
3. Download the shareware version of Quake for the PC from here:
http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quake/quake/index.php?game_section=demo
4. Copy PC Quake's ID1 folder to your PSP/GAME/Quake folder.

Controls
--------

Regarding the buttons:

The PSP buttons are connected to the following keys during the game and when the menu is shown. You will need to go into Quake's options and configure the keys you want to use.

PSP | Game key | Menu key | Default game function
---------+------------+----------------+----------------------
SELECT | ~ | ~ | Toggle console
START | ESCAPE | ESCAPE | Show menu
LTRIGGER | LTRIGGER | |
RTRIGGER | RTRIGGER | |
UP | UPARROW | UPARROW | Move forward
RIGHT | RIGHTARROW | RIGHTARROW | Turn right
DOWN | DOWNARROW | DOWNARROW | Move backwards
LEFT | LEFTARROW | LEFTARROW | Turn left
TRIANGLE | TRIANGLE | |
CIRCLE | CIRCLE | ESCAPE / ENTER |
CROSS | CROSS | ENTER / ESCAPE |
SQUARE | SQUARE | |

For example, when you press CROSS, Quake gets a CROSS key press, which you will need to set to your desired action in the game options screen.

Regarding the analog nub:

If mouselook is turned on, then the analog nub is used to look around. You'll need to allocate other buttons for movement. If mouselook is turned off, which is the default, then the analog nub is used for movement.

Support
-------

I don't intend to provide personal email support for this game. I believe that I'd get a lot of useless mail if I were to publish my email address for this purpose.

If you can't get Quake running, try posting on a related PSP forum and hopefully someone can help you.

Known bugs:
- Fast key taps may go unnoticed when the frame rate is low. This is because I'm not sure how to get buffered input on the PSP. Does the PSPSDK support it?

If you've found a bug in the code, please post about it. I will probably read it and fix the bug if I can.

Thanks
------

Big thanks go out to:
- All the great guys on the PS2Dev forum for all your hard work on the PSPSDK, and your helpful replies on the forum.
- id Software, for supporting the game porting community by making their game sources GPL.
- Hazel, for putting up with the complete lack of attention from me while I was working on this.

wraggster
January 5th, 2006, 17:36
excellent, need to get my PSP charged asap :)

AtariFreek
January 5th, 2006, 17:47
Wow Is It Just KMe Or IS Quake One OF The Favourite Games To Port... Quake....Quake2....Im Even Trying To Port Quake 3 Arena with no success.

PeterM
January 5th, 2006, 17:57
I think Quake 2 and 3 are insanely difficult (in Q2's case) or completely impossible (Q3) to port to PSP.

I had a look at Quake 3 - but after using readelf I found that it uses around 25MB of global variables! I gave up. :(

A hardware accelerated Quake 1 is perfectly reasonable to expect, and I think McZonk is doing a great job with Quake 2. Hopefully he can get around it's memory hogging.

Pete

LuD
January 5th, 2006, 18:36
I wish a Quake 2 port would be this good... I have the retail version of Quake, and I went through a bunch of levels with no problem... I really love this port, and I think you did an awesome job!

Only wish I could add the music... Perhaps some mp3 support so that can happen...

Thanks again!

PeterM
January 5th, 2006, 18:42
Glad you like it!

My memory card isn't big enough to store the full version on, so it's a relief to hear that it works OK. I ordered a new memory stick a few days ago. Hopefully when it arrives I can see about adding music support. That would indeed be awesome...

Pete

jedikd
January 5th, 2006, 18:46
i'll have to downgrade to try this out, thanks for working on a quake port, we needed one with sound. Does anyone know if I can use this port to play multiplayer levels with bots? that was one of my favorite things to do with quake 1 before I got a decent internet connection.

PeterM
January 5th, 2006, 18:55
I'm afraid multiplayer (bots or otherwise) isn't supported yet.

LuD
January 5th, 2006, 19:14
I just had my first crash... Said something about progs.dat having the wrong data or something... I'll have to repeat the level to find it out. It happened after I completed the level.

Also, is this running at 222 MHz? And if so, is there a way to increase it?

PeterM
January 5th, 2006, 19:34
Dang, sorry to hear about the crash. Was it one of the full version levels? I had a look in the Quake code for progs.dat - was it a wrong version number?

I'm afraid it's running at 333 MHz. You can improve performance by reducing the screen size in the options, but it's a shame to make the display smaller...

PSmonkey
January 5th, 2006, 20:18
Man ya just had to find a way for me to disrupt my coding. ;)

Dling now. Can't wait to try.

Also nothing against packmanfan but I am glad we now have a true port of quake and not the modified pocketpc one.

Regarding Quake 3.
This would be very difficult to port. Pretty much one needs to heavly modify the game to be close to the dreamcast version (posibly even use the dreamcast pak files) but still will run into issues regarding memory usage (dc had 8megs of vram vs psp 2megs).

I really think our only posibility is to build up a 3d fps game based on quake 3 files (like what i am doing with my bsp viewer). This way the system can be much better optimised for the psp.

elven
January 5th, 2006, 20:47
great stuff :D i was waiting for so long for sound and saves. this port even gives the ability to define controls! i have only one question: how to turn on a permanent mouse-look and not only this one that needs the key pressed?

LuD
January 5th, 2006, 20:52
Actually the crash happened in the first chapter after the fourth level I believe... I tried the other chapters and they worked ok for the most part. (Haven't had too much time to play.)

That sucks about it running the way it does. It would be nice to see someone step up with some GPU experience to kick in some extra processing power.

Anywho, I hope you guys keep up the good work. This is the very reason I still have my PSP. ;)

PeterM
January 5th, 2006, 20:59
You should be able to turn on mouselook by creating an autoexec.cfg file in the ID1 directory containing the following:

+mlook

Hopefully that'll work, I've not tried it.

I'll investigate the crash and see what I can come up with. I intend to work on hardware acceleration next, since that would really make it a great port.

Pete

LuD
January 5th, 2006, 21:03
Sounds good. I'll try out the mlook, and I'll also replay the level and see what that error was...

PeterM
January 5th, 2006, 21:25
Thanks. :-)

jedikd
January 5th, 2006, 21:26
You should be able to turn on mouselook by creating an autoexec.cfg file in the ID1 directory containing the following:

+mlook

Hopefully that'll work, I've not tried it.

I'll investigate the crash and see what I can come up with. I intend to work on hardware acceleration next, since that would really make it a great port.

Pete
hardware accel + some multi capability (even if its just bots, still fun) = a plenty good reason to downgrade to 1.5 and never look back

Coder_TimT
January 5th, 2006, 21:38
For a slight speed boost you can try these settings I grabbed from a gp2x forum..

cl_bob 0
cl_bobup 0
cl_rollangle 0
cl_rollspeed 0
v_kickpitch 0
v_kickroll 0
v_kicktime 0
r_waterwarp 0
r_drawviewmodel 0
r_maxparticles 0
r_fastsky 1
r_fastturb 1

*Edit* These settings go in the autoexec.cfg file mentioned in earlier posts.

It will take away some things such as the weapons model and head-bob while running, and give about a 10% or 1.5fps increase. Not really worth it in my opinion, but just thought I'd mention it.

Oh yeah, excellant job PeterM. Havn't had much time to play yet, but so far it looks like it will play pretty well. Thanks for your contribution.

bizarre
January 5th, 2006, 22:03
Someone can tellme if i can play mods of quake in this port. thanks

Jman0708
January 5th, 2006, 22:14
yeh uh can some 1 please send me a link to a quake editor like doom has doombuilder wut does quake have dat i can edit graphics sprits and lvls?

LuD
January 5th, 2006, 23:15
The crash was random. It didn't do it again.

joesnose
January 5th, 2006, 23:17
this is brilliant, truly fantastic peterM, thanks alot.

only bug ive come across so far is crappy hardware, the rubbish analouge nub doesnt return to centre it keeps wandering all the time.

OK another bug, dont know if its my key config, i used the +mlook utoexec, when I die in a game and it says "are you sure you want to start a new game?" my psp locks up, and if i push home it hangs on "please wait..." till i hold up the power button for ten seconds.

One more ththing this is great peterM, im loving it.

PeterM
January 5th, 2006, 23:37
Random crashes are the worst - yuck...

joesnose, I set the dead zone on the nub to be rather small (so the player gets some aiming precision when moving the nub gently). After thinking about it again, I should be able to rewrite that part of code to maintain precision while enlarging the dead zone a bit.

At the moment I snap the nub to the centre of it's axes if it's near it. I should actually smoothly gradiate the percieved nub position from the outside of the deadzone to the maximum range.

Why didn't I think of that before...

acn010
January 6th, 2006, 00:04
wow.................
THIS IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks, this game is awsome..........

wraggster
January 6th, 2006, 01:14
Yeah its a sweet port and its always nice to see a Uker as a developer :)

jedikd
January 6th, 2006, 01:39
game is working great so far. I had to downgrade, definitely a no go on Fanjita's .85 loader. I'm experience the similar issue with the analog nub controls "drifting" hopefully the next update can incorporate the revised deadzone you speak of. Also, I added "crosshair 1" to the autoexec.cfg file to turn on the crosshair, that helps me aim when using +mlook. Keep up the great work!

LuD
January 6th, 2006, 01:44
Yeah, my view wonders a bit to the left as well... Not that big of an issue, but something that does bother me from time to time.

Also, I got that error message again, and it read, "progs.dat has wrong version number. 216 should be 6."

Whatever that means. ;)

julian
January 6th, 2006, 02:45
Thanks a lot Peter for porting one of my favorite games! :+D

Suggestion on a personal note:
I'd love fully configurable controls, e.g. [] and x to move forward and backwards, which seems not to work right now.

Thanks again, i really appreciate your great port!

liquid8d
January 6th, 2006, 03:59
Absolutely great port.... looks so much better than the Pocket Quake one. (no disrespect to PacmanFan)

Everything is spot on, great job with the controls, and speed is perfect. I am very much hoping you jump on the wlan asap.. there's plenty of info on it... i could probably help out with that if need be. Music would be nice also, but I'm not bitchin' :)

Only bug I found is after you start a game, when you select new game and it prompts you to hit 'Y', it hangs.

Great job!

liquid8d

alepus
January 6th, 2006, 04:37
WOW. wow. wow wow wow..!!! damn!! this is da shiet!

****ing awsome for a first release. set up a damn paypal so i can chip in some $ for that second psp. i want to see a 16 player ctf or deathmatch on this one!!!

super great work!

alepus
January 6th, 2006, 04:39
Only bug I found is after you start a game, when you select new game and it prompts you to hit 'Y', it hangs.

Great job!

liquid8d

try hitting "Y"... :)
you maybe have to bind it to a key or button in this case.

red_wolf_309
January 6th, 2006, 06:21
can someone tell me how the **** to downgrade my psp?

bigasif
January 6th, 2006, 06:34
Hey,
This is my first post on these boards, and I started off by just joining because of this homebrew....but then I got into reading a couple of posts, and think Ill be here for the long run now :) Seems like a great site. :rolleyes:

Anywho, just wondering something about the installation of the prog. In the readme installation instructions, it says:
3. Download the shareware version of Quake for the PC from here:
http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quake/quake/index.php?game_section=demo
4. Copy PC Quake's ID1 folder to your PSP/GAME/Quake folder.

So I downloaded the quake shareware...but I can't find an ID1 folder in there. All I see are:
- resource.dat
- install.bat
- deice.exe
- resource.1

Am I missing something :confused:

Thx in advance...and keep up the great work :cool:

PSmonkey
January 6th, 2006, 07:40
Hey just a small tidbit but if anybody wishes to load custom SP maps. Just create a autoexec.cfg file in the ID1 folder with "map <map name>" in it. Put the map into ID1/Maps/ folder. Then run quake.

For example, To run the map IMP1SP2.bsp, My autoexec.cfg has the line "map IMP1SP2" in it (without the quotes mind you).

PeterM,

Mind doing me a favor. Can you modify quake with a fixed path. When I try launching it with LoadExec command in code, it says it cant find gfx.wad and quits. The reason being is I was going to post a small "QLaunch" app so people can load up custom maps/mods

bigasif,

run install.bat, it will install the demo/shareware. Once its done go to where it installed and you will find the folder.

red_wolf_309
January 6th, 2006, 09:31
please can someone please please please tell me how to downgrade????????????

PeterM
January 6th, 2006, 10:27
Downgrade instructions here, where you could have easily found them yourself.
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6432
NOW STOP ASKING!

PeterM
January 6th, 2006, 10:29
PSmonkey, about the fixed path, I intentionally didn't do this, so people could hopefully use SEI or whatever to get rid of the corrupt game icon.

What happens if you "chdir()" into the PSP/Quake dir before launching it?

stewd
January 6th, 2006, 13:04
bigasif, I think you need to install the game on your PC first and copy the file from the install directory.

PSmonkey
January 6th, 2006, 14:29
PSmonkey, about the fixed path, I intentionally didn't do this, so people could hopefully use SEI or whatever to get rid of the corrupt game icon.

What happens if you "chdir()" into the PSP/Quake dir before launching it?

Hmmm Did Not think to try that. Will have to give it a shot soon.

nexus68
January 6th, 2006, 15:42
Fantastic port, thanks Peter!

bigasif
January 6th, 2006, 20:07
Thanks PSmonkey and stewd with the replied about the ID1 folder. I installed it, and found the folder. Thanks alot. Gonna try this out right away! Great work!

bigasif
January 6th, 2006, 20:24
Oh, just got it working....great port! But one question...how do you quit? It says to press "y" but where is y...lol...checked the options for controls, and there's nothing set to "y" either so dont know how to quit. And is it possible to save states? Just wondering...

PeterM
January 6th, 2006, 20:27
You can use the Home button to quit. Your config will be saved.

'Y' needs to be bound if you want to use it - to be honest the Home button is much easier!

You can save your game by navigating to Single Player -> Save Game in the menu.

bigasif
January 6th, 2006, 20:30
wow, thansk for the extremely quick reply Peter. Solved my problem :D...Once again, great job on this one....

kalinost
January 7th, 2006, 02:22
Well, first off, congratulations on an awesome port!

Secondly...

Only wish I could add the music... Perhaps some mp3 support so that can happen...

Well, Quake did support MP3s via the play command in the console...unfortunatley dropping an mp3 in the id1/sound directory and binding it to play with one of the buttons causes the game to lock for a few seconds, and then spit out an error message which disappears to fast to read. :(

And lastly, speaking of binding, if you create an autoexec.cfg in the id1 directory, you can add cheats via keypresses, such as

bind "LTRIGGER" "god"
bind "RTRIGGER" "impulse 9"
etc, which will give you godmode on the left trigger and all weapons on the right. This might not work if you already have them bound to something through the control options...if it doesn't, you'd have to remove the binding and restart.

DreaM666
January 7th, 2006, 17:42
Hello Peter, your Quake port is awesome, it is the best PSP port at the moment...many thanks!!

Anyway, i got one question for you - now the Quake runs almost perfect on PSP, it would be great if we could play PSP Port of the old good Hexen 2:-) As far as I remember Hexen 2 uses Quake Engine as well...what do you think??:-)

PeterM
January 7th, 2006, 18:31
I probably wouldn't port Hexen (or H2) myself, since I'm not really a fan of it. I'm also kinda busy working on hardware rendering for Quake!

Before anyone asks, it'll be ready "When It's Done"!

Pete

LuD
January 7th, 2006, 20:57
Just keep us up to date... I'm very curious to see what progress you're making. ;)

Also, I noticed that the sound sample rate is at 44100. Is it possible to reduce this for a speed increase?

PeterM
January 7th, 2006, 22:12
I will post when there is something worth posting. At the moment there is definitely not... there's a bit of a difference between how OpenGL works (and how id use it - yeuch) and how the PSP GU works.

It would be possible to reduce the sample rate - it may improve performance on the Quake engine side. The PSP SDK seems only to accept 44100 Hz, so I'd have to convert the audio.

I guess I could have Quake use 22050 and just upload each sample twice to the sound buffer. I'm not sure it would make a huge speed increase, but I'll try it out sometime.

Sharpy
January 7th, 2006, 22:24
Love the Quake port, goes at a fair frame rate and it actually has sfx, great work and I can't wait for the next release, thanks Peter

Jman0708
January 8th, 2006, 00:21
nice nice nice

moogster66
January 8th, 2006, 01:21
Peter. Love the port. I know you are busy with the hardware remdering. But what about adding the mission packs? I removed the pak files from the ID1 file, and adding the pak files from mission pack 1. But i got a red warning saying " You must have registered version installed.Thanks again for an awesome bit of work!

Midnight Rider
January 8th, 2006, 09:48
The Quake Port runs fine on bootup and then when it enters the game, it said:

"W_LoadWadFile: couldn't load gfx.wad"

Am I missing any files in my folders and what should i do? I have no resources on this Quake port, please provide us with resources to the Quake Port. Thanks :)

glennedb
January 8th, 2006, 10:29
yeah im getting the same error! :(

lecdg2
January 8th, 2006, 12:27
Hello
i've just registered in order to say thank you PeterM!!!! You did a fantastic job which allow me to discover Quake 1 for the first time (that"s really a very good game).I hope you 'll succeed to use an hardware rendering even if it's yet playable.

TO moogster66: it's yet possible to play the official mission pack!!!! Just rename the PAK0.PAK from the extension (NOT the original one) to PAK2.PAK and copy it to the ID1 repertory from your psp. Launch the game and you'll play the mission pack. But becareful, the original quake won't be playable until you delete the PAK2.PAK. (I've NOT found this by myself, i've read it on **********)

PeterM
January 8th, 2006, 13:33
"W_LoadWadFile: couldn't load gfx.wad"
You will get this error if you don't install the ID1 folder from the shareware version of Quake, or if you install it in the wrong place. There should be an ID1 folder inside the Quake folder, and inside ID1 should be PAK0.PAK.

/PSP/GAME/Quake/ID1/PAK0.PAK

The full version - (PAK1.PAK) - may also work but I've not tested it since my memory stick is too small.

By the way, I don't intend to do a tweak or bugfix release until after hardware acceleration is done. Doing so would mean me having to branch my local Subversion repository, and maintain the two branches, and I don't want to do that.

Pete

jedikd
January 8th, 2006, 18:11
You will get this error if you don't install the ID1 folder from the shareware version of Quake, or if you install it in the wrong place. There should be an ID1 folder inside the Quake folder, and inside ID1 should be PAK0.PAK.

/PSP/GAME/Quake/ID1/PAK0.PAK

The full version - (PAK1.PAK) - may also work but I've not tested it since my memory stick is too small.

By the way, I don't intend to do a tweak or bugfix release until after hardware acceleration is done. Doing so would mean me having to branch my local Subversion repository, and maintain the two branches, and I don't want to do that.

Pete
the full game seems to work just fine. I just copied over the pak1.pak into the id1 directory and works like a charm. Thanks for all your hard work and continuing to support this awesome port.

moogster66
January 10th, 2006, 01:35
Thanks lecgd2! Got the mission pack working! This is such a kickass port! :D

Sharkey
January 11th, 2006, 21:09
Someone can tellme if i can play mods of quake in this port. thanks

yeah i just got the quake killer patch to work.
i love having over 30 weapons and a cujo bot.

great work peter, this looks much nicer than pacmans and has sound which immediately made me smile.

KreLL
January 16th, 2006, 05:32
Just wanted to lend my personal thanks for putting the time and effort in to make such a great port of this game. Keep going the way you are going and it will be flawless in no-time. Thanks again!!!!! :D

PeterM
January 16th, 2006, 07:32
Thanks, glad you like it! :-)

KreLL
January 18th, 2006, 16:20
Hi Peter, we are all astounded at your port of Quake, truly an amazing accomplishment. What's your eta on hardware rendering for it? Also, do you have a paypal account? Maybe a few of us hard-core homebrew gamers could give you a little financial help here and there. Take care, great work. :D

PeterM
January 18th, 2006, 17:56
Hello,

I wouldn't say it's amazing! It's basically just giving Quake somewhere to put its pixels and sound.

The hardware rendering port is much more complex, since it basically means rewriting a fair bit of the rendering code. I don't want to give an ETA on it, since I may never finish. I'd like to, but I have a lot of other higher priority things to do.

Regarding paypal, I don't really want to take money for a hobby project. I also don't like paypal! ;-)

Pete

ultros
January 19th, 2006, 08:26
hm, i have also a problem with the missing "autoexec.cfg" file. the game can't load :(

what has to be in it or where can i get a "autoexec.cfg"?
and where do i have to put it? in the \ID1 folder?

PeterM
January 19th, 2006, 10:45
Not having an autoexec.cfg isn't an error which will stop the game running. It's quite normal for it not to find the file if it doesn't exist.

Do you get any other error messages?

ultros
January 19th, 2006, 18:11
so, just came back from university.....

in my \Quake\ID1 folder is the pak0.pak and pak1.pak and demo1.dem
the game just says can't exec autoexec.cfg, can't exec config.cfg then playing demo in demo1.dem
and after about 5 seconds, the PSP turns off...

PeterM
January 19th, 2006, 20:45
Does it work if you delete demo1.dem? I don't have this file.

Pete

ultros
January 20th, 2006, 22:05
arg! i normally have no problems with emus/homebrews, i don't get this problem.

i reformated my memory stick.
i put the V1.5 folders in the PSP\GAME folder
i created PSP\GAME\Quake\ID1
i copied my pak0.pak und pak1.pak to the new created \ID1 folder

when i start quake, it does the usual stuf, then says:
"couldn't exec config.cfg"
"couldn't exec autoexec.cfg"
"3 demos in loop"
"playing demo from demo1.dem"

then after 5 seconds, the PSP turns off.

edit: problem solved, bad .paks

wow, impressive! thank you for this port. memories..... =)

PeterM
January 20th, 2006, 22:21
Phew! Glad it wasn't a bug (at least in my code anyway, maybe Quake should check its pak files more...)

KreLL
January 22nd, 2006, 07:55
Hi Peter, I was wondering if there is a command that can be typed into the Config file that will allow for Quake to run it's sound sampling rate at 11khz or 22. Right now I notice that when the game loads up it's sampling rate is 44khz, which is a real strain on the processor. I figured maybe if I could lower this then the framerate would improve a bit. Let me know if you can, thanks a ton bro. :D

PeterM
January 22nd, 2006, 13:26
Hello,

This is actually one of the changes I was planning on working on in the next few days. The audio buffer that the PSP SDK gives me is 44 KHz and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it. For simplicity I just tell Quake to use 44 KHz too.

However, I could tell Quake to mix sound in 11 or 22 KHz and I could just write each sample 4 times or twice to the buffer. Or do interpolation, but I suspect that would be slower than mixing at 44 HKz.

As far as an upcoming release goes, I've been working on hardware rendering, but it's nowhere near finished. I don't know when it will be, but it's definitely not soon.

I started off by replacing Quake's 2D drawing (blitting and polygons) functions with hardware accelerated sprites and triangles. This worked OK apart from textures being messed up (Quake doesn't use textures which are powers of 2 in size).

Unfortunately Quake draws maps (BSPs) in a very different way. It draws them in horizontal spans, which I can't accelerate. And the rendering of them is fairly dug-in to Quake's rendering module, so I'll need to write a lot more code to get them to render.

Combining that with the trouble that McZonk is having with clipping, scares me off a bit. If he's having trouble doing it, then I'm definitely going to have trouble doing it.

So, I split my code into hardware and software rendering versions so I can work on both at the same time without breaking the other one. That way, I can release a software rendering version which contains bugfixes and general improvements, and I can work on the hardware version in the background.

Pete

KreLL
January 22nd, 2006, 16:02
Sounds awesome Peter, this port is great as it is- it would be absolutely awesome if the framerate was just a bit faster. Your idea of working on both versions is a great one I think, and again I thank you for the delight that you have brought us so far. Keep up the great work bro, it's programmers like you that make this system truly worth owning- and multi-gig mem cards worth buying. :D

PeterM
January 22nd, 2006, 16:12
I did some playing around with the audio rate after my previous post. Reducing the sampling rate to 11025 (and copying the samples to the output buffer 4 times) doesn't noticably degrade the audio quality, but it only improves the frame by a very small amount.

For benchmarking I bind "timedemo demo1.dem" to a button and run it with a big enough screen size to fill the screen but still show all of the status bar. With 44100 Hz I get 8.7 FPS. With 11025 Hz I get 9.0 FPS.

omninox
January 22nd, 2006, 19:34
Feature requests for the next release of the software rendering version:

1) My analog nub keeps drifting off-center. Increase the size of the center dead zone.

2) MP3 background music support.

3) A default key binding for 'Y'.

4) Improved framerate.

Thanks!

PeterM
January 22nd, 2006, 19:49
Hello,

The analog nub will be fixed in the next release. It's fixed in my version.

I'm working on MP3 support using libmad. The library doesn't seem very well documented so progress is slow.

You don't really need the "Y" key - you can press Home to quit. Or is there another place people need to press it?

Improve the framerate? That's a good idea! Why didn't I think of that?!
/me waves a magic wand...

Pete

Madonion
January 25th, 2006, 13:42
Improve the framerate? That's a good idea! Why didn't I think of that?!
/me waves a magic wand...

Pete
Hahaha that is funny!

ultros
January 29th, 2006, 22:10
is it possible to get .pak files running, which contain also new maps?
i'm relatively new to quake (played it years ago on the pc) and don't know the differences in the .pak files.
there seem to be some .pak files, which just slightly change quake, like new weapons and so on and other, which turn it into a whole new game.

i read a few pages about quake mods and there are really impressive ones, even commercial ad-ons.

my question is, is it possible to get these new level/modifications running?
it should be possible, isn't it? i mean, it is the same engine. the engine just has to intepret the .pak files, or is it somehow different?

Sharkey
February 4th, 2006, 21:03
Yes I have already played through both mission packs and have used the killer quake patch with the original game.
All you have to do is rename the pak files to pak2.pak and add them to the id1 folder.
If you have time you should read through my quake mods thread in the quake forums.
Pretty much the same rules apply for this version and it runs just as many mods.

@Peter, I still play this almost daily, I played the other one alot also, but was bummed with the graphics and the absence of sound.

I don't have any suggestions or complaints othe than what others have mentioned but thanks for all your hard work, some of us are really loving this. :)

ultros
February 4th, 2006, 21:56
@sharkey:
i tried very many mods (renamed to pak2.pak), but only the killer quake patch and some other mods, which give you different weapons, worked.
i haven't found a mod yet that give you any new levels/designs.

maybe i tried the wrong mods, but i guess, i found some popular ones.
most of the mods from the thread "who wants all quake mods?" just give you some new items or so.

also, many mods have several pak files. what to do with them? just rename them starting with pak2.pak then pak3.pak and so on?

and if you got any mods to work which give you new levels, then please name a few of them. i really like to try them.

Sharkey
February 6th, 2006, 05:00
The only other ones Ive tried other than the KQP and both the expansion pack is "Rapture" and "Coven of Ebony", both have extra levels and are worth playing through.

Some mods won't work so its mostly trial and error.
I would like to try more but I'm hooked on the expansion packs atm.

I'm not sure about the multiple pak mods though.

omninox
February 7th, 2006, 04:52
The analog nub will be fixed in the next release. It's fixed in my version.
Is there any chance that an earlier intermediate version could be released with just the analog nub problem fixed?

Sharkey
February 9th, 2006, 01:50
Is there any chance that an earlier intermediate version could be released with just the analog nub problem fixed?

How did I know someone would ask that? :rolleyes:
Just be patient young ones. ;)

PeterM
February 9th, 2006, 13:21
Hello,

I thought I'd update the thread with news on what is happening at the moment:

I've just moved house, and don't have internet access there yet. I should have access in the next couple of days.

Chris Swindle and I are going to merge our Quake sources. For this I've set up a SourceForge project and we're adding our source code to their CVS. When the merge is done and we're happy that it's working OK, we'll do a release. I don't know how long it'll take.

I've recently made some progress in my code.
* I've managed to get Quake running fine using Fanjita's EBOOT loader on firmware 2.00. I can't guarantee that Chris' WLAN stuff will work with it though - I've no idea about the loader's WLAN support. Kernel mode, PRXes, etc...
* I've made it so people can quit from the Quake quit menu. This is especially handy when using the loader, since Home does nothing.
* Battery life is monitored and reported periodically.
* There have been some frame rate improvements.

But anyway, hopefully we'll have a release ready soon. Please be patient.

Pete

wraggster
February 9th, 2006, 17:34
thanks for the News :)

Be3f
March 22nd, 2006, 12:22
@PeterM
There were No News since 9th Feb. Are you still working on The port? What are the news? Does Hardware Rendering work? When you will upload next reliese? GL! ;)

PeterM
March 22nd, 2006, 12:38
Hello,

We're still working on it. Chris is doing a lot more work than me for the moment because I've been busy with Uni and my job.

* Chris has been working on getting network support to function using the loader.
* There's no hardware rendering yet, sorry. We've been concentrating on bugfixing and stability when running in the loader environment.
* I don't know when the next release will be - it depends on how Chris gets on.

Pete

Be3f
March 22nd, 2006, 12:55
WoW! Such a Fast reply! :D Thancs 4 news! ;) We are still waiting, GL! ;)

Be3f
March 23rd, 2006, 08:50
An idea for the next build:
It would be Greate, if you add Mods menu into Quake GUI (such as we have in Quake 3 / DooM 3) - to select & load every mod simply from Quake!

PeterM
March 23rd, 2006, 12:02
That's probably quite unlikely because Quake builds its list of available files on startup, and havok may ensue if we mess with it afterwards. It's probably not impossible though, but I don't see it as being a high priority at the moment.

If you want to play mods, you can always rename your pak files accordingly.

michael chan
March 26th, 2006, 19:23
i cant get this quake to work on firmware 2.00, can someone help me?i tried fajita loader and still dont work.

PeterM
March 27th, 2006, 07:50
It doesn't work when using a loader. For the moment you would have to downgrade to 1.5 to play it.

Or wait until the next release, which should be pretty soon.

behahwhoalalala
March 30th, 2006, 01:08
yay, please make the next release playable on 2.6 thanks!

cswindle
March 30th, 2006, 23:29
yay, please make the next release playable on 2.6 thanks!It should not be too long now before a release and it should work fine on v2.6.

Chris

gpeters
March 31st, 2006, 06:02
Exciting news!

omninox
April 2nd, 2006, 03:37
Amazing job on PSP Quake v2. Everything works exactly as it should. A perfect release. Thanks!

Be3f
April 3rd, 2006, 11:03
@PeterM
Thanks for the Great Work! V2 is awesome. Now I need only HW rendering. Thanks again! ;)

PeterM
April 3rd, 2006, 11:25
Glad you guys like it! :)

Pete