PDA

View Full Version : 'Core gamers' seen as vital to video game industry as economy slows

wraggster
October 9th, 2008, 21:11
Is Japan's video game industry recessionproof? With stock markets swinging as violently as a fantasy warrior's sword, it's a significant question.

According to data collected by Enterbrain, the publisher of Famitsu magazine, combined sales of video game hardware and software for the first half of 2008 fell to just 78.7 percent of the level for the first half of 2007, dropping from 3.03 billion yen to 2.39 billion yen.

Year-on-year, hardware sales dropped to 66.5 percent of previous levels, while software didn't fare quite as badly, dropping to 89.7 percent.

The figures were presented by Hirokazu Hamamura, Enterbrain's president and Famitsu's executive editor, at a press conference at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Japan in Tokyo on Tuesday. Hamamura shared the podium with another industry expert, Hiroshi Kamide, director of the research department of KBC Securities Japan.

"The software situation in Japan is not so bad," Hamamura said, pointing to four games--Mario Kart Wii, Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, Pocket Monster Platinum, and Dragon Quest V--that have sold more than 1 million copies each so far this year, compared to eight to hit that mark in all of last year.

With Wii Music and other highly anticipated titles still to come in 2008, "this half is going to be very good for software," he said.

Hamamura said that thanks to the popularity of Monster Hunter, "PSP [PlayStation Portable game hardware] sales in Japan took off dramatically."

"I think the phenomenon is very similar to what happened with Game Boy many many years ago...I think Game Boy had almost died out at that time, and Pocket Monster basically rescued this hardware. I think it's similar to what's happening with Monster Hunter and PSPs," Hamamura said.

He said the game, played through a network by four people, often in separate locations, is "the beginning of a new trend." Another of the year's top games is the multiplayer Phantasy Star Portable, which sold 606,480 copies in the first half, about triple the number expected. Hamamura attributed this to Monster Hunter having changed the gaming environment.

Despite such success stories, Kamide said the 100-day trend in software sales in Japan has been angling downward for the last year and a half.

"I do believe we are in a global recession at the moment, and the gaming industry does like to have a tag that it's recessionproof," Kamide said. "I think there's two ways of looking at this. Yes, obviously Christmas comes every year and hence the need to buy the next Pocket Monster...The other way of looking at it is, if people can't afford to buy Starbucks coffees anymore, are they really going to go and buy the next Brain Training game?"

Kamide said the industry's recent emphasis on casual gaming is changing. "I think now there's going to be a return to core games...as a lot of companies in the industry realize that core gaming is resilient, [while] casual gaming is actually seeing a slowdown in Japan."

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/features/arts/20081010TDY13104.htm

trugamer
October 9th, 2008, 22:31
TBH it's more likely to be credit problems than sales that will affect games companies most, but if sales are good it is something positive for the future.