PDA

View Full Version : UK Retailers Buying Hardware Stock From Supermarkets

wraggster
October 9th, 2008, 22:45
UK gamers will need to get up early in the morning if they are to take advantage of heavily-discounted consoles at several supermarket chains. So impressive were the price cuts that a number of games retailers have been dispatching staff to their local Sainsbury's to pick up some new stock.

Sainsbury's has been knocking £30 from the price of the Xbox 360 and Wii, bringing the 360 to below £100 for the first time. Staff from GAME, Gamestation and other retailers, both chain store and indie, quickly descended on the bargains and re-upped their own stocks.

“With 360 and Wii on sale at these prices we allowed our store managers to supplement their stock,” explained GAME CEO Lisa Morgan.

Shame the gamers didn't get to enjoy the same benefits, really.

http://kotaku.com/5061282/uk-retailers-buying-hardware-stock-from-supermarkets

trugamer
October 10th, 2008, 13:01
I wouldn't be surprised if the supermarket started refusing service with one console per person rules or something because if they're losing money (a possibility) they'll need to make it back from people's weekly shopping. Thy get none of that if someone comes in wanting 10 xboxes (is that the right spelling?)

tutting
October 10th, 2008, 13:16
Talk about screwing over the customer! Game / Gamestation et al, you should be ashamed of yourselves

mistac
October 10th, 2008, 13:32
Talk about screwing over the customer! Game / Gamestation et al, you should be ashamed of yourselves

Nothing Game does surprises me after they way they shafted Garth Sumpter out of the game.co.uk domain name.

gutbub
October 10th, 2008, 14:44
They don't limit console sales to one per person in the U.K.? I know that at least where I live, most stores will only sell one console per person. Or maybe that's just Wii's, as we have a surplus of the other two.

kaffie
October 10th, 2008, 15:21
Wouldnt this make the console pre-owned? / 2nd hand?

trugamer
October 10th, 2008, 15:47
They don't limit console sales to one per person in the U.K.? I know that at least where I live, most stores will only sell one console per person. Or maybe that's just Wii's, as we have a surplus of the other two.
They did but I don't think there is much of a shortage anymore. Seeing as this is at Sainsbury's I wouldn't be surprised if there already was that restriction but I don't go there that much so I don't know.

dejkirkby
October 10th, 2008, 17:18
Sainsbury's have said there is currently no restriction, although some stores are implementing policies now.
I think it is absolutely vile of Game/Gamestation to be doing this and they shouldn't be able to sell these consoles as new.
I'm sure Trading Standards would be interested.

Joe88
October 11th, 2008, 07:01
well you cant really blame the supermarket for selling them all to them
I mean if someone came and said I want to buy your whole stock of (insert item here) of course the quick money way is to get rid of them and make a ton of money