PDA

View Full Version : Apple Confirms Failing Nvidia Graphics Cards in MacBook Pros, Offers Free Fixes and..

Shrygue
October 10th, 2008, 15:49
via Gizmodo US (http://gizmodo.com/5061605/apple-confirms-failing-nvidia-graphics-cards-in-macbook-pros-offers-free-repairs-and-refunds)

This doesn't speak for volumes for Nvidia's credibility. As you might recall, a huge swath of Nvidia's notebook graphics cards—ones with the G84 or G86 chipset—fail at "higher-than-normal" rates. MacBook Pros have the GeForce 8600M GT, which uses the G84. Nvidia assured Apple that MacBook Pros were totally cool. Turns out, they were lying! After doing their own investigation, Apple "has determined that some MacBook Pro computers... may be affected."

The specific models affected are MacBook Pros with the GeForce 8600M GT manufactured between May 2007 and uh, last month. You know you've got a crappy video card if you see screwy or scrambled video, or worse, no video, even if the computer is turned on. Apple will fix any Nvidia graphics card problem for free within two years of the original purchase date. If you've had to pay to get the problem fixed before, Apple will give you a refund.

The fact that Nvidia apparently misled Apple is deeply disturbing, especially as they counter the Inquirer's continuing reports about defective chips. If you've had video problems with MBP, raise your hand please.

gutbub
October 10th, 2008, 16:55
Luckily for me, Windows is where all the games are. Also luckily, I have a desktop, not a laptop, so I don't have a mobile card.

jamotto
October 10th, 2008, 17:08
This was not limited to just the mobile versions the desktop versions are defective as well.

gutbub
October 10th, 2008, 21:33
This was not limited to just the mobile versions the desktop versions are defective as well.

Oh well, I've been running on a 9800 since it came out, no problems yet.