PDA

View Full Version : WHich shoot-em-up?

Gryzor
January 7th, 2006, 07:29
Hello everyone!

I love my DC. Actually I bought it a few months back in order to use emulators on it, but slowly I've bought a few games (dang my lightgun cannot calibrate with my widescreen Sony TV! :( ).

Since I love shoot-em-ups, I'd like to know what are supposed to be the best ones in that genre... or is there some site with such stuff (in which case I apologise for my post and humbly ask for a pointer)?

Have a great weekend,
Th

Darksaviour69
January 7th, 2006, 13:35
if you mean lightgun games there are not that many, house of the dead 2 and confidential mission are the only 2 PAL games released. i think the there is also virtual cop 2 that comes with sega smash pack (us release). there might be some moree japan games.

the are some homebrew light gun games,
Revolver http://www.dcemu.co.uk/revolver.php
bloop http://www.dchomebrew.org/bloop.shtml
lightgun test http://www.dcemu.co.uk/lightguntest.php

also there is a version or nester that supports the lightgun (duck hunt anyone? )

beetroot bertie
January 7th, 2006, 14:17
If it's the bullet dodging, shoot all you can type you're after, then you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to get Ikaruga.

There's some nice videos here: http://www.ikaruga.co.uk/downloads/videos.php

There's been so many of late, especially since the DC's production was ceased. Other noticable games are Border Down, Zero Gunner 2, Trizeal, Psyvarier 2, Mars Matrix, Gunbird 2. In fact you've got plenty to choose from but those above are the ones I've played and enjoyed, and we're getting 2 new releases this year with Rajirugi and Under Defeat (which looks really impressive).

As for light gun type games, the only other one I can recal is Death Crimson OX which is not very good and doesn't support the official Sega lightgun that was available here in the UK. It does work with the MadCatz Gun though.

Cast128dreams
January 7th, 2006, 15:34
Hey where is Chaos field

Gryzor
January 7th, 2006, 16:15
Hey, thanks for the replies :) I guess my mentioning the light gun threw you off which is totally understandable, so my apologies - I meant pure spacey shoot-em-up action! I did read about Under Defeat (indeed looks very impressive) and thought there have to be more like that until it gets released! I've heard of Ikaruga, too, but I think it's kind of rare to get? Will try plowing eBay for all these titles though, so thanks indeed :)

Cheers
Gryzor

Darksaviour69
January 7th, 2006, 17:19
Bangai-O!, is great, and you can pick it up cheap

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/dreamcast/action/shooter/

beetroot bertie
January 7th, 2006, 20:42
Oh yeah, I forgot Bangia-O. That's a great one, but a downer if you use a VGA Box as it doesn't work with it. I love the strange cartoons/humour and the gameplay is pure retro heaven.

As for Chaos Field, I've not got round to playing it at any depth yet so I didn't want to vouch for it. I wasn't impressed with the textures, they looked a bit shabby although it did have some charm.

Some others I've thought of are the GigaWing games and Millennium Soldier: Expendible. I've enjoyed the latter - reminds me of Smash TV/Ikari Warriors type games. If you're after something more modern, gameplay wise maybe Star Lancer or Incoming might appeal. And Rez is great too!

Gryzor
January 8th, 2006, 07:27
Ooh, ok, now I don't know which ones to go for; I do bet gf will get mad at some point - any two-player modes? :D

Thanks again!
Th

beetroot bertie
January 8th, 2006, 12:35
Ikaruga, Trizeal, Zero Gunner 2, GigaWing 1 & 2, Gunbird 2, Millennium Soldier: Expendible and Mars Matrix all have 2 player modes. GigaWing 2 is 4 player I think. Incoming has a 2 player mode but it's a just a case of shooting more alien ships than your opponent and is a bit dull.

Personally if I had to pick 1 out of all of those mentioned I'd choose Ikaruga - it really is amazing but I also really enjoy Trizeal. It has a certain old school charm as isn't overly complex.

Christuserloeser
January 8th, 2006, 14:42
Out of the classic shooters my favorites are

1) Ikaruga
2) Border Down
3) Zero Gunner 2

Other than that there's nothing wrong with Giga Wing 2 and you should be able to get for a few bucks only :)

Same for Bangai-O and it's a fantastic game but don't expect it to have the best graphics ever as it's a N64-conversion. However, like Ikaruga it's by TREASURE and that fact alone should be a very good reason to get it.

Last but not least I'd say REZ would be a game every DC owner should have. It's not a classic space shooter but trust me it'll blow you away.

Oh, regarding the multi-player modes: Out of the ones listed above I'd say Zero Gunner 2 and Giga Wing 2 are the ones me and my friends spend the most time with.

Gryzor
January 8th, 2006, 14:44
Thanks again; I didn't expect so much detailed info... :) I'm going for Ikaruga (ahh my money) and Bangai-O!. It'll be nice to play such beauties on a big screen again!

Cheers
Gryzor

Gryzor
January 9th, 2006, 17:02
Ok, Got Bangai-O! off ebay. I think I gave a bit too much (GBP16) but oh well... now for Ikaruga!

By the way (a bit OT here), after googling around quite a bit I'm still none the wiser: is there anywhere I can download the image of a boot-cd to play this Jap Bangai-O! ? Will the Utopia Boot Cd do?

Thanks again and again guys - can't wait to try them out!

Cheers
Gryzor

Darksaviour69
January 9th, 2006, 19:39
http://www.consolevision.com/members/fackue/tut_imports.shtml

Gryzor
January 9th, 2006, 20:11
Fan-tastic! Thanks again...

Gryzor
January 15th, 2006, 08:28
Ok, since Ikaruga goes for quite a fair amoutn of money, I thought I'd give it a try first and downloaded it.

...wow. Amazing stuff, especially the backdrops are simply stunning! It's more complicated than most shmups, which I like, but could have a bit better music (the one it's got is a bit cheesy).

Also, it's rather disapointing, at first, that a 700MB game image can be shrunk down to 17MB... shows there's not that much content, but the quality more than makes up for it!

beetroot bertie
January 15th, 2006, 13:01
Glad you like it but please read the forum rules with regards to talk about warez. If you like it that much, I'd recommend buying it to show your support for the developers. Any talk about downloading ripped games etc will just get the post locked and your hand slapped.

Gryzor
January 15th, 2006, 14:13
Well, while I understand what you're saying 100%, and maybe my post was borderline indeed, I don't think I said something unethical. I *am* buying it indeed -after all I got my DC to play emus on my TV, not to play DC games on an emu on my PC :)

Sorry if I offended anyone - not my intention, to be sure.